15 dead, 35 injured as tent collapses at religious event in India
The accident occurred in the grounds of a a school in Rajasthan state’s Barmer district on Sunday evening when more than 1,000 people had gathered for a Hindu religious event.
Fifteen people, several among them senior citisens, died in the accident, district police chief Rashi Dogra Dudi confirmed.
Thirty-five more injured were hospitalised but their condition was said to be “out of danger’’ by doctors, she added.
Police officers said that some people trapped under the tent may have been electrocuted by live wires while others were killed by falling debris.
Rajasthan authorities have ordered an investigation into the accident as state chief minister Ashok Gehlot visited the accident site as well as the injured at the hospital on Monday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi offered his condolences for the loss of lives in the incident.
He called the incident “unfortunate’’ and said his thoughts were “with the bereaved families.’’
- Spotlight: Mask-wearing remains controversial in U.S. as COVID-19 death toll exceeds 100,000
- Mexico reports 3,377 new COVID-19 cases, 447 more deaths
- Visitors visit Panda Pavilion of Zoo Berlin in Germany
- S.Korea reports 58 more COVID-19 cases, 11,402 in total
- IOM deplores killing of 30 trafficked migrants in Libya
- Nigerian president orders military operations against gang attacks
- 2020 Boston Marathon canceled, to be held virtually
- Hong Kong’s prosperity, stability brook no disruption: spokesperson
- Commentary: China’s Civil Code a landmark law to protect people’s rights
- Baccalaureate students resume classes in Tunis, Tunisia
- Pakistan to establish national cell against rising locust threat: minister
- NCDC confirms 182 new cases of COVID-19, total active cases now hits 6064
- Romania to allow outdoor sports events from June 1
- Abduction: NAWOJ wants immediate release of NTA female reporter, Chinyere Okoye
- Farmers harvest wheat in the countryside of Sale, Morocco
- Brazilian president signs financial aid bill for states, cities
- U.S. president signs executive order targeting social media companies
- Israeli children play in wheat field ahead of Jewish holiday of Shavuot
- Palliative: Kano Govt begins second phase distribution of food items
- People visit traditional lantern festival in Seoul, S. Korea