No fewer than 180 schools in the South West Zone of the country have registered to participate in the third edition of the Lagelu FM Inter-Secondary School relay race scheduled to hold in Ibadan.
Mr Tunde Olawuwo, the General Manager, Operations, Splash/Lagelu FM, made the disclosure on Tuesday in Ibadan at a news conference to herald the race.
The Nigeria News Agencyreports that the competition is being organised by Lagelu FM, a sister station of Splash FM co-owned by West Midland Communications.
NAN also reports that the event, which commenced in 2017, had discovered many talents representing their various states at the national level.
Olawuwo said: “The competition is a grassroots race essentially with the objective of discovering and helping in nurturing future athletic stars from Oyo State primarily and of course the neighbouring states.
“We are happy to inform you that even as we speak, 180 schools have officially registered. We are quite excited about this because it keeps getting bigger.
“The first year, there were about 60 schools that registered. The second year which was last year, we had about 120 schools. So this year, that we have recorded about 180 schools is a mark of progress and registration is still ongoing.”
Olawuwo said that the third edition of the event would feature races which included 100 metres, 4 by 100 metres, 4 by 200metres, 4 by 400 metres, mixed race and 4 by 100 hurdles.
He commended the Oyo State Government for being a principal sponsor of the tournament, saying the incumbent governor, Seyi Makinde, had since inception of the race identified with its progress.
Olawuwo also commended other partners in the organisation of the event, including the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports, Kayrom Lee Gym and Fitness Centre and Sumal foods among others.
Mr Olufemi Ajao, the South West Zonal Coordinator, Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports, said that his office had keyed into the event from inception, commending the organisers on their achievements so far.
“If you look at the National Youth Games that just ended in Ilorin few weeks ago, Oyo State has not gotten any medal from athletics in a long time.
“But this year alone, may be because of the talents they picked from our relay, we had medals from athletics. So, that is one of the achievements made so far.
“So far so good, we have been enjoying the dividends of that schools relay. At least Oyo State and some neighbouring states have been coming here to pick athletes.
“I don’t think in Nigeria of today, we have any athletic event that has goodies for athletes, even for coaches, like Lagelu Relay,” he said.
Ajao described the initiative as the only way to drive sports development in Nigeria, adding that ageing athletes must be replaced.
Also speaking, Amb. Romoke Ayinde, the Chief Executive Officer, Kayrom Lee Gym and Fitness Centre, said there had been great improvement in the initiative.
“If you look at it very well, this is the third edition, you can vividly see that there is great improvement.
” I must confess to you, it is one of those things that motivated me to come about the Racban Academy,” she said.
She said that some talents discovered at the race needed someone to develop and nurture them, adding that most of them do not know the talent they have.
Ayinde called on other stakeholders to support the initiative in enhancing efforts at developing and nurturing young talents to stardom.
NAN reports that the event would hold at the University of Ibadan Sports Complex from Oct. 17 to Oct. 19.(NAN)
(Edited by Mufutau Ojo)
COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records
COVID-19: FCT leads with 130 cases, as Nigeria records 386 new infections
August 2, 2020 6:14 am By Abujah Racheal
The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) led the pack on Saturday with 130 Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases as the country recorded 386 new infection in the country.
Data from the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC ) showed that the cases were spread across 18 states and the FCT.
The NCDC said that FCT topped the list for the of states with higher daily cases of COVID-19 for the third time consecutively with 130, while Lagos, the epicentre of the virus, reported 65.
Other states with new cases were Ondo, 37, Osun, 29, Plateau, 23, Rivers, 15, Enugu, 14, Nasarawa, 12, Bayelsa, 11, Ebonyi, 11, Ekiti, 9, Oyo 8, Edo, 8, Abia, 6, Ogun, 3, Katsina, 3, Imo 1 and Adamawa 1.
The health agency said that Nigeria had now successfully treated 20,087 COVID-19 cases following the discharge of 522 additional patients in the last 24 hours.
The health agency noted that four more persons have died from the disease.
According to the NCDC, till date, a total of 43,537 cases of the virus have been confirmed, 20,087 cases discharged and 883 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
The NCDC noted that a multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC) activated at Level 3 would continue to coordinate the national response activities across the country.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Nigeria conducted 145,454 tests in July and recorded 17,457 positive cases during the same period.
It said compared to June, the figures represented 95 per cent increase in testing numbers and 12 per cent increase in positive cases.
”It is good news that Nigeria significantly stepped up testing in July. The 95 per cent increase in testing in July compared to June only resulted in 12 per cent increase in positive cases.
”June, 74,580 tests, 15,532 positive cases. July, 145,454 tests, 17,457 positive cases. July also recorded one of the lowest monthly test positivity to date.
”July test positivity is 12 per cent . June test positivity is 21 per cent. May test positivity is 17 per cent. July also records 51 per cent of cumulative test in the country,” it said.
The Agency said that states that had made this possible by their daily increase in testing were, Kano, Plateau, Oyo, Lagos, FCT and Rivers States in July. (NAN)
Eid-el Kabir: FRSC deploys 620 personnel, 11 patrol vehicles in Kebbi
The Federal Raod Safety Corps (FRSC) in Kebbi has deployed 620 personnel, 11 patrol vehicles
and one ambulance to ensure hitch-free Eid-el-Kabir celebration.
The Sector Commander of the corps in the state, Mr Danasabe Lawal-Shehu, made this known in an interview with
the News Agency of Nigeria in Birnin Kebbi on Wednesday.
Lawal-Shehu said that the deployment was an Operational Order for the Sallah Special Patrol and in fulfillment of the cardinal objectives of the corps.
He said “we have deployed 620 personnel, including Special Marshals, 11 patrol vehicles and one ambulance for Eid-El-Kabir special patrols.
“The personnel will be on 24 hours alert, while the ambulance with a team will always be on ground to promptly attend to any case of Road Traffic Crash.
“This is in readiness for any upsurge in vehicular movement associated with the season.”
Lawal- Shehu advised commuters to call the FRSC toll free line *122* if they needed any assistance.
He advised travellers to tune to FRSC National Traffic Radio FM 107.1 for Traffic Update on all roads to know possible routes to take if there was a gridlock on their route.
“The command is set to ensure a hitch-free Sallah celebration in the state.
passengers on safe practices on the road.
“Our staff have been positioned at motor parks in the state to enlighten commuters daily as they travel, ensure that vehicles are not overloaded and
adhere to all NCDC Protocols.
“Staff have been provided with hand gloves, alcohol-based sanitizers and advised to maintain social distancing to stay safe.”
The commander also advised road users to obey traffic rules and regulations to avoid crash.
“On behalf of officers and marshals of the command, I wish all commuters a hitch-free Sallah celebration,” he added.
The Federal Government has declared July 30 and July 31, 2020 for Muslims in the country to join the world in celebrating Eid el-Kabir.
Also called Eid al-Adha, Eid el-Kabir is the second of two Islamic holidays celebrated worldwide each year.
It honors the willingness of Prophet Ibrahim to sacrifice his son, Ismael, as an act of obedience to God’s command.
Edited By: Edith Bolokor/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)
Greece, Spain discuss Eastern Mediterranean situation, Libya issues
According to government sources, Turkey’s recent conversion of Hagia Sophia into a mosque was also discussed.
Gonzalez Laya said after meeting her Greek counterpart that during her visit to Turkey on Monday she had the impression that Turkey was interested in dialogue, adding that this needs to be proven in action.
In terms of Libya, the Greek FM urged for an active role of EU on constant violations of an arms embargo imposed on Libya.
“We should all support the IRINI operation. Turning Libya into a failed state, would be a great problem for the EU,” he said.
The Spanish FM said all sides should respect the arms embargo, by air, land and sea.
“We need to promote a sincere effort by all the political parties in Libya, to reach a political understanding that we want to see unconditional ceasefire,” she pointed out.
Both sides committed to expanding their coordination on the migration issue, as both countries are points of entry and first reception for refugees and migrants.
They reaffirmed their mutual content over the EU recovery fund granted to all EU member states to deal with the coronavirus repercussions on their economies.
FG says 262,579 Nigerians so far tested for COVID-19
The Federal Government says it has so far crossed the quarter million mark with the testing of 262,579 Nigerians for COVID-19 in the last five months.
“With 262,579 persons tested, we have crossed the quarter million mark. When the epidemic curve will begin to flatten is still a matter of conjecture, given the relatively small fraction of our population that has been tested so far,” Ehanire said.
He said that the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country crossed the 40,000 mark to 40,534 over the weekend, with 555 new cases recorded in the past 24 hours.
He, however, said that 17,374 had been successfully treated and discharged, while the nation regrettably recorded 858 deaths, most of them with comorbidities.
The minister said 60 PCR Public Health laboratories were now active in the country, which together should be in a position to address testing capacity challenges and ramp up utilization if only the logistics could be improved.
According to him, this will, along with sheer community spread, be responsible for the rising trajectory of the epidemic curve in the population tested so far.
The minister said that the 70 to 30 male to female gender ratio and the case fatality rate of 2.1 per cent had not changed significantly, as two thirds of all fatalities remained in the over 50-year age group.
The minister said that comorbidities like diabetes, hypertension, asthma, among others, were common among all fatalities.
He said: “They underscore the need to protect senior citizens and the vulnerable from infection, by giving special attention to risk communication and priority for admission for observation and treatment.
“Of utmost concern are still the asymptomatic cases, with the potential to spread the disease, of whom the young and able-bodied can be difficult to manage.”
Ehanire assured that the government would continue to improve the quality of services in the hospitals as more persons admitted for treatment, not only for COVID-19 infection, but also for routine and essential care.
According to him, it is also our desire to reduce the fatality rate, and expand our treatment capacity such that our health system is not overwhelmed.
“In this regard, the FMoH expects to take delivery of the newly completed Isolation Centre at UATH, Gwagwalada, as other centres are under construction nationwide.”
He also said that the UN System in Nigeria informed of the arrival of another consignment of essential COVID-19 related commodities on Sunday, to be officially handed over to Nigeria.
He said the Federal Government remained appreciative of the UN System for this gesture and its consistent support, which had greatly increased reserves and recognized the country’s needs, especially of oxygen concentrators and PPEs.
According to him, the gesture also reassures our frontline health workers that we are well stocked and can ensure availability of essential items and consumables at the point of need.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the minister also formally introduce the new Country Representative of the World Health Organization (WHO), Dr Walter Kazadi Mulombo, who assumed duty in Abuja recently.
On the coming Sallah celebration, Ehanire urged Muslims and all Nigerians to continue to adhere strictly to the COVID-19 protocols and to reduce risk of transmission amidst celebration, especially on wearing of facemask, hand-washing and use of sanitizers, among others.
Edited By: Joe Idika/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)