2 applicants in court for alleged robbery
Two applicants, Ibrahim Wasiu and Saka Waheed, were on Monday arraigned in an Igbosere High Court, Lagos, for allegedly stealing cell phones from passersby at gun point.
The defendants, whose residential addresses were not given, are standing trial on a four-count charge bordering on conspiracy and armed robbery.
The prosecutor, Mr Babatunde Sunmonu, told the court that the duo committed the alleged offences on Feb. 26, 2018, at 11.15 p.m., at Ogunmuyiwa Street, Itire, Surulere, Lagos.
He said that the defendants robbed one Chizoba Apugo of his cell phone, while armed with a gun and a knife.
According to the prosecutor, the defendants also stole another cell phone from another complainant, one Samuel Afara.
He said that on Feb. 27, at 1.20 a.m., at the same Itire area of Lagos, the defendants were caught by the police while in possession of a toy gun.
Sunmonu alleged that the defendants were in possession of the toy gun with the intent to commit robbery.
He said that the offences contravened Sections 287 (5), 297, 298 and 299 of the Criminal Law Lagos State, 2015.
The defendants denied committing the offences.
Justice Adedayo Akintoye, ordered remand of the defendants in prison and adjourned the case until May 13, for hearing. (NNN)
Edited by Edwin Nwachukwu/Obike Ukoh
- Nigeria records 389 new cases of COVID-19, highest daily figure ever, NCDC says
- New Zealand job numbers fall sharply
- Libya reports highest daily increase in COVID-19 cases
- New Zealand confirms no new case of COVID-19 for 6 consecutive days
- S.Korean president’s approval rating stays high at 61.5 pct: poll
- Australian authorities baffled over death of 30-year-old man with COVID-19
- News Corp Australia announces shutdown of over 100 print titles in major digital shift
- Armed man shot dead by police on busy Australian freeway
- S.Korea cuts interest rate to new record low of 0.50 pct over COVID-19
- S.Korea cuts interest rate to all-time low of 0.50 pct over COVID-19
- APEC senior officials hold virtual discussions on cooperation for economic recovery from COVID-19
- Russia postpones SCO, BRICS summits amid COVID-19 pandemic
- S.Korea reports 79 more COVID-19 cases, 11,344 in total
- African swine fever costs Asia between 55 bln and 130 bln U.S. dollars: ADB experts
- S.Korea’s c.bank slashes 2020 economic growth outlook to 0.2 pct contraction
- Rwandan commercial motorists required to go cashless to curb COVID-19 spread
- S. Korea’s corporate bond sale logs double-digit fall in April
- Tokyo stocks open higher on Wall Street’s solid overnight lead
- 1st LD Writethru: S.Korea cuts interest rate by 25 basis points to 0.50 pct
- S. Korea cuts interest rate by 25 basis points to 0.50 pct