Connect with us

Judiciary

2 charged with hacking into woman’s bank account, stealing N1m

Published

on

 

 

Stealing

By  Ngozi Njoku

Two men – Lukman Ibrahim and Sokege Musibau – who allegedly hacked into a woman’s bank account, using her SIM card, on Thursday appeared before an Ogudu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos.

Ibrahim, 30, and Musibau, 32, whose addresses were not given, allegedly stole N1 million from the hacked account.

They are  facing charges of conspiracy, stealing  and  breach of the peace.

They, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

According to the Prosecutor, Insp. Lucky Ihiehie, the defendants committed the offences on March 27.

Ihiehie alleged that the defendants conspired and swapped the SIM card of one Miss Folake Balogun with that of one Ibrahim in other to hack into Balogun’s  bank account to steal.

“The defendants actually hacked into the complainant’s FCMB account with number 2270414025 and transferred the sum of N1million without her consent.

“During an investigation, it was discovered that the defendants had an accomplice who we are yet to identify,” he said.

The alleged offences contravene Sections 168(1)(d), 287 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 287 stipulates three years’ jail term for stealing.

The Magistrate, Mrs E.  Kubeinje, admitted the defendants to bail of N100,000 with two sureties in like sum.

She said that the sureties must be gainfully employed and have evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.

She adjourned the case until April 2 for mention.

Foreign

Tokyo stocks advance in morning on hopes for global economic recovery

Published

on

By

Tokyo stocks advanced Wednesday morning, as buying was supported by continued expectations that the further lifting of virus-linked restrictions in many countries would aid the recovery of the global economy.

The 225-issue Nikkei Stock Average gained 256.13 points, or 1.15 percent, from Tuesday to 22,581.74.

The broader Topix index of all First Section issues on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, meanwhile, added 9.50 points, or 0.60 percent, at 1,597.18.

Nonferrous metal, transportation equipment and rubber product issues comprised those that gained the most by the morning break.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Vietnam’s phone export down 8.8 pct in 5 months

Published

on

By

Vietnam earned nearly 18 billion U.S. dollars from exporting phones and components in the first five months of this year, posting a year-on-year decline of 8.8 percent, accounting for 18.1 percent of Vietnam’s total export revenue, according to the country’s General Statistics Office on Wednesday.

In May alone, Vietnam fetched 2.6 billion U.S. dollars from selling the products overseas, plunging 30 percent on-year.

Between January and May, Vietnam spent roughly 4.9 billion U.S. dollars importing phones and their components, seeing a year-on-year increase of 0.2 percent.

In 2019, the country reaped more than 51.8 billion U.S. dollars from exporting phones and components, posting a year-on-year increase of 5.3 percent, said the office.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Fire, explosion fatalities in Vietnam down in 5 months

Published

on

By

A total of 1,259 fires and explosions happened in Vietnam in the first five months of this year, killing 41 people and injuring 93 others.

The fires and explosions also caused property losses of some 298 billion Vietnamese dong (about 12.9 million U.S. dollars), the country’s Fire Prevention and Fight Department said on Wednesday.

Vietnam recorded 1,581 fires and explosions in the first five months of last year, which left 55 people dead and 83 others injured and caused losses of over 484 billion Vietnamese dong (21 million U.S. dollars).

In 2019, the country reported 3,755 fires and explosions which claimed 112 human lives, injured 177 people, and left property losses of some 1,400 billion Vietnamese dong (60.9 million U.S. dollars), said the department.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

New Zealand police officers charged with manslaughter

Published

on

Three New Zealand Police officers have been charged with manslaughter, authorities said on Wednesday, following the death of a man in custody last year.

The 55-year-old man died while in custody at the Hawera police station, some 190 kilometres north of Wellington, in the early hours of June 1, 2019.

The charges allege the officers, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were “grossly negligent” in their duty of care to the victim, and that this was a “causal factor” in his death, police said in a statement.

“The decision to file charges was made after a thorough investigation and consideration of legal advice from the New Plymouth Crown Solicitor and a Queen’s Counsel,” the statement said.

The victim’s family has been advised on the charges, and all three officers have been stood down from duty, the statement said.

The trio have been remanded on bail and will appear in court in late June.

Police said as the matter is before the courts, no further details or comments about the case would be made.

A police statement released last year following the incident said the man was found unresponsive at the police station during a routine check.

Police staff and paramedics tried to revive the man for more than 30 minutes.

“It is a very sad time for all involved, and we extend our deepest sympathies to the family,” Inspector Chris de Wattignar said at the time.

“Police staff make every effort to ensure the safety of those in Police custody.”

Edited By: Emmanuel (NAN) Yashim

Continue Reading

Health

FG to engage community volunteers for house-to-house sensitisation on COVID-19 – Minister

Published

on

The Federal Government is engage community volunteers on house-to-house sensitisation on the dangers and spread of COVID-19.

Dr Osagie Ehanire, Minister of Health, disclosed this on Tuesday in Abuja, at the Presidential Taskforce (PTF), briefing on COVID-19.

The News Agency of Nigeria, reports that Nigeria currently has 10,578 confirmed CCOVID-19 cases in 35 States and FCT, of which 3,122 have been treated and discharged.

NAN reports that Nigeria recorded 299 deaths.

Ehanire said that the ministry was working with the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency, (NPHCDA) to finalise plans on the engagement of existing community volunteers and agents to conduct house to house sensitisation on COVID-19 at the community level.

He said that this would be done in “high burden” Local Government areas of Nigeria, since about 20 LGAs contribute nearly 60 per cent of the COVID-19 positive cases.

The COVID-19 burden is, as we know not evenly distributed within the country, with Kano and Lagos bearing the highest burden.

“A team from the FMoH, led by the ED of NPHCDA and comprising doctors from Departments of Family Health, Hospital Services and Public Health and NCDC, is in Lagos on an appraisal visit, during which a situation analysis will be conducted.

“The team will also visit the contiguous Ogun State on the same mission. The visits are in continuation of similar useful initiatives in the past to Kano, Katsina Sokoto, Jigawa, Gombe, and Borno, to share experience and ideas, align strategy and support each other,” he said.

The minister said that the ministry would continue to advocate for states to strengthen their response activities and have begun a program to strengthen the capacity of all Federal Health Institutions in Nigeria to deal with COVID-19 challenges in their States by additional training, supplies and equipment.

He said that the Federal Medical Centre Lokoja and University of Calabar Teaching Hospital would be prioritized for the deployment of Gene Xpert machines as soon as the test kits were validated by the Medical Laboratory Science Council.

He said this so that residents in Kogi and Cross River, among others, would no longer have a shortage of opportunity to be tested.

“Our observation is that states are at varying levels of readiness and it is important to re-strategise to meet all citizens at their points of need.

COVID-19 is long since a global phenomenon affecting nearly all parts of the world.

“All nations are working together and I urge all State authorities in Nigeria to accept the reality and also work with each other and Federal Government, and play their part in the strategy to keep the people safe.

“This includes the decentralization that requires making a minimum of 300 Isolation beds ready, so that the national health system does not run out of COVID-19 bed spaces,” he said.

He, however said that as  the President advised that it was best to be fully prepared even if Nigerians do not have to use it.

“ In this regard, the FMOH stands ready to support all States in their efforts to build resilient and responsive systems for citizens in their States.

“The FCT, for example, is no longer under bed space pressure, having been well supported with assets to meet all levels of care, security and needs,” he said.

Ehanire said that there would therefore be no reason for a COVID-19 positive person to be outside a designated Isolation and Treatment centre, especially with the ThisDay Dome Isolation centre ready to take cases.

He noted that it would  be headed, in the introductory phase, by the Medical Director of Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital, one of the most experienced virus disease hospitals in Nigeria.

He also said the FCT managed Idu COVID-19 treatment centre wih 500 beds ready.

He, however, said that the FMOH have conducted an analysis of Health Care Worker Infections and identified critical areas for targeted intervention, to include continuous updates and retraining.

More than 13,000 health workers have been trained, which will result in reduced rate of infection, especially in the line of duty. We are collaborating with States to cascade the training to lower cadre workers.

“A few weeks ago, I announced that Nigeria will participate in COVID-19 drug trial, which the WHO was leading but partly suspended.

“After consultation with top Nigerian scientists of the Ministerial Expert Advisory Committee, I am advised that Nigeria has something to add to the body of knowledge around these trials.

“I have therefore approved the continuation of the trial, as recommended, under strong precautionary conditions to be built into it,” he said.

According to him, the leadership of the Ministry also had the first briefing with the Ministerial Advisory Panel of Experts on Monday and received a series of very useful advisories that will be discussed and shared with Heads of Agencies and Departments of the Ministry.

“Finally, as we move into the next phase of easing of the lockdown, I urgently call on all, to take responsibility for ensuring that we actively play our role in ensuring that COVID-19 does not spike or bounce up, as has been observed in many countries where lockdown was relaxed.

“It is important to bear in mind that this phase, more than the lockdown itself, is in the hands of the people, more than in the hand of government.

“We must fight the spread of the disease by adhering more strictly than ever, to the various social guidelines which have been announced, published and publicized,” he advised.

He urged Nigerians to wear their face mask in the public, once they leave their house, or even inside their house, if they were  not sure of the COVID-19 status of people they  live with.

“Wear your mask on your face, not under your chin; it has no value under your chin.

“Be very sensitive about respiratory hygiene, wash hands regularly, use sanitizers and observe physical distancing. Open your windows to let in fresh air whenever it is safe to do so,” he said.


Edited By: Kamal Tayo /Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Zoom’s customers and sales rise as pandemic changes working life

Published

on

Video conferencing app Zoom doubled its sales forecast for the year and posted considerable gains in total revenue and customers, it said in a quarterly report on Tuesday.

The company disclosed that it had 30 times the amount of users compared to December results as the coronavirus pandemic forced employees to work from home office.

The global disruption to working life reshaped the company from a corporate tool to a digital hangout space.

Eric S. Yuan, chief executive and founder of Zoom, said the crisis had driven demand for the service as people “integrated Zoom into their work, learning, and personal lives.”

The company did not disclose active user numbers.

This was in keeping with its previous practices, CNBC reported.

Zoom said it now has more than  265,000 corporate customers with more than ten employees – an increase of 354 per cent compared to the same time last year.

Some 769 customers – twice as many as a year earlier – spent more than 100,000 dollars a year on Zoom’s services.

Total revenue nearly tripled for the quarter to reach 328.2 million dollars compared to 122 million a year earlier.

The huge spike made the company raise its full-year sales forecast to between 1.78 billion to 1.8 billion from 915.0 million.

But it has not been all smooth sailing, with the tech company facing bans from governments and corporations due to privacy and security concerns.

In the wake of the criticism, Zoom invested heavily in cloud and security software, increasing the company’s cost of revenue by 330 per cent to 103.7 million.

Edited by  Emmanuel Yashim

Continue Reading

Foreign

Zuckerberg defends not criticising Trump over threat of violence

Published

on

Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg has defended himself for not condemning remarks by United States President Donald Trump appearing to threaten violent retribution against demonstrators protesting the death of a black man at the hands of police, according to media reported on Tuesday.

In a tweet which was also visible on his Facebook page, Trump slammed demonstrators protesting the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis as “THUGS” and appeared to promote a violent response by saying, “when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”

That phrase was first used by a Miami police chief in 1967 to justify a violent crackdown on black neighbourhoods.

Twitter placed a “public interest notice” on the post for violating the platform’s rules “about glorifying violence,” a move not mirrored by Facebook.

Online magazine The Verge reported that Zuckerberg held a long conference call with Facebook employees and addressed accusations that the social media platform allowed election misinformation and veiled promotions of violence from Trump.

Zuckerberg told employees he should have offered them more transparency, The Verge reported citing a recording of the meeting.

But he stood by what he termed a “pretty thorough” evaluation of Trump’s posts, saying the choice to avoid labeling or removing them was difficult but correct.

According to the recording, Zuckerberg described being upset by some of Trump’s recent posts, including the one regarding looting.

“(But) I knew that I needed to separate out my personal opinion … from what our policy is and the principles of the platform we’re running are.”

Several Facebook employees have resigned over the lack of action, the New York Times reported.

One said publicly that the company would end up “on the wrong side of history.”

Edited By: Emmanuel (NAN) Yashim

Continue Reading

Foreign

New Zealand reveals details for relaxed COVID-19 rules as country returning to normal

Published

on

By

Restrictions on businesses will be removed under COVID-19 Alert Level 1, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern explained the details on Wednesday as New Zealanders are seeing their lives returning to normal.

New Zealand reported no new case of COVID-19 for 12 consecutive days on Wednesday.

The decision to move down to Alert Level 1 will be made on June 8, Ardern said, adding it was possible that New Zealand could move down to Alert Level 1 by June 10.

Strict border controls will still remain, Ardern said, adding restrictions on hospitality businesses, gatherings and community sport will be lifted.

She said it is not necessary to consider physical distancing measures under Alert Level 1, but the government still encourages contact tracing efforts.

Ardern stressed coughing etiquette because risks remain as New Zealand heads into winter with more asymptomatic transmission.

New Zealand‘s combined total of confirmed and probable cases stayed at 1,504, Director General of Health Ashley Bloomfield told a press conference on Wednesday.

The total number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 remains at 1,154, which is the number reported to the World Health Organization, Bloomfield said.

The number of people who have recovered from COVID-19 is unchanged at 1,481, he said, adding the situation was “hugely satisfying.”

The number of COVID-19 related deaths in New Zealand remained at 22, with no additional deaths, he said, adding there is no one in New Zealand receiving hospital-level care for COVID-19.

The NZ COVID Tracer app has now recorded 487,000 registrations, according to the health ministry.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Finland announces record-high supplementary budget to counteract COVID-19 impact

Published

on

By

The Finnish government on Tuesday announced a record-high supplementary budget of 5.5 billion euros (6.16 billion U.S. dollars) to counteract the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, Finance Minister Katri Kulmuni said.

With this budget, the debt taken by the government this year increased to 18.8 billion euros (21.04 billion dollars), Kulmuni said at a press conference.

The government also decided to extend the target timing of stabilizing the ratio between public debt and gross domestic product from 2023 to 2030, Kulmuni said, adding that the longer time frame would ease the pressure.

The senior official said Finnish universities will be authorized to add 4,800 students to this year’s enrollment.

According to the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare, Finland confirmed a total of 6,887 COVID-19 infections by Tuesday afternoon, with 320 virus-related deaths and at least 5,500 recoveries.

The country reopened restaurants and cafes on Monday, with opening hours shortened and capacity of service halved. The new restrictions are supposed to stay until the end of October.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also