Lagos, March 12, 2019 The Police in Lagos on Tuesday arraigned two men, Nicholas Michael and Rilwan Sulaiman, over alleged robbery and for belonging to an unlawful secret society.
Michael, 25, and Sulaiman, 32, are standing trial before an Ebute Meta Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for conspiracy, robbery, assault and belonging to an unlawful society.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Jimah Iseghede, told the court that the defendants committed the offences between Jan. 20 and Feb.16 at Obalende Road, Lagos.
Iseghede said that the duo robbed two men of their belongings, while armed with dangerous weapons.
He said the first defendant, Michael, being a member of the dreaded Aye confraternity, used a dagger to stab Stephen Sulaiman in the stomach and other parts of his body.
According to him, Sulaiman is a member of Jurist Confraternity, an unlawful society terrorising members of the public.
The offences contravened Sections 42, 173, 297 and 299 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
They defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against them.
The Magistrate, Mrs A. Kusanu, granted them bail of N200, 000 with two responsible sureties in like sum.
Kusanu adjourned the case until April 16 for mention.
- Evacuation: Foreign airline whose country denies us landing right won’t be welcome here — House Committee
- Backgrounder: U.S. police brutality against African Americans
- Protesters take to downtown LA over killing of George Floyd for third consecutive day
- Violent protests over George Floyd’s death continue flaring up across U.S.
- U.S. Democratic lawmakers expand probe into firing of State Department inspector general
- UN calls for investigation into killing of 30 migrants in Libya
- New bridge under construction in Genoa, Italy
- Nigeria records 387 new cases of COVID-19, active cases now 6344
- S.Korea reports 39 more COVID-19 cases, 11,441 in total
- 17 more people tested positive for COVID-19 in Myanmar, 224 cases in total
- COVID-19 cases surpass 170,000 in India, death toll at 4971
- CDS’s death: General Court Martial sentences six aides in probe
- UNIFIL awards Chinese woman for exceptional role in peacekeeping in S. Lebanon
- U.S. Fed chief fears second wave of COVID-19 outbreak would undermine recovery
- 13 new COVID-19 cases reported in southern Libya
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits 1965 km SW of Lajes das Flores, Portugal — USGS
- COVID-19 cases surpass 170,000 in India, death toll at 4,971
- 5.5-magnitude quake hits 193 km S of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea — USGS
- World Bank approves 15 mln USD for Cambodia’s pre-service education system for health professionals
- World Bank says COVID-19 epidemic poses greatest threat to Cambodia’s development