A 22-year-old electrician, Abdulkadir Fatai, and 18-year-old barber, Hosea Ahmadu, were docked on Wednesday at a Life Camp Magistrates’ Court, Abuja, for allegedly stealing two rolls of cables.
Both defendants, who reside at Kado Estate, Abuja, are being charged for joint act and theft.
The Prosecutor, ASP Peter Ejike of FCT Police Command, told the court that one Amema Emmanuel of Treatmit Security Company, Utako, Abuja, reported the matter at the Life Camp Police Station on June 21.
Ejike alleged that on that day at 9 a.m when the complainant resumed work at BUA Estate, Kado, a security guard from a neighbouring house called and informed him about an alleged theft, carried out by the defendants.
He told the court that the security guard had told the complainant that he saw the defendants throw two rolls of wine, red and black- coloured cables over the fence.
The prosecutor said that the security guard also told Amema that he saw both defendants picking up the cables and running away.
Ejike said the offence contravened Sections 79 and 287 of the Penal Code.
The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Mr Gadafi Nwegbe, counsel to the defendants, urged the court to grant the defendants bail, adding that an accused is still presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Nwegbe assured the court that the defendants would not jump bail.
The Chief Magistrate, Celestine Odo, granted bail to the defendant in the sum of N200,000 and one surety in like sum.
Odo ordered that the surety must live within the jurisdiction of the court with a fixed address and a means of livelihood.
He also directed that the surety must submit a copy of his recent passport photograph and means of identification.
Odo adjourned the matter till Aug. 8, for hearing.
Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)
- Barca’s Pique calls for wholesale changes after “shameful” defeat
- INEC seeks stakeholders collaboration in instituting electoral transparency
- Bayern Munich must stay grounded in spite of Barca demolition, coach says
- FC Barcelona’s Umtiti tests positive for COVID-19
- Bauchi Gov. condoles family of murdered lawmaker, Mante
- Football united behind Infantino, FIFA general secretary says
- Council approves health care provision fund guideline
- Labour ministry denies complicity in human trafficking
- UN ‘strongly condemns’ rights abuses in Cameroon
- Tourism operators reveal Top 10 romantic destinations for honeymoon in Nigeria