Aliu, who was reacting to Nigerian student-athletes’ performance at the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) competitions, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the students were worth celebrating.
NNN reports that the likes of Divine Oduduru, Abike Egbeniyi, Fabian Edoki, Mercy Abire and Ruth Usoro have been doing well in their respective schools.
NNN also reports that Oduduru claimed his first ever NCAA indoor title in the 200m at the championships held in Birmingham, Alaska on March 9, with a time of 20.49secs.
He also broke Christian Coleman’s 200m Facility Record of 20.55 seconds.
Aliu said that he was happy with the developments as it could open doors for more Nigerian athletes aspiring to study abroad.
“I am very happy, one thing we do not understand is that if these athletes are doing well overseas, it will open doors for others, schools will want Nigerians.
“Usain Bolt has been able to open doors for Jamaicans, so, everyone feels that if you have a Jamaican in your school, you automatically have a Bolt.
“Having the likes of Oduduru doing well and opening doors for other athletes is something we should celebrate.
“Even in Europe, such feat can open doors for athletes in schools,” he said.
- National Assembly mulls passage of 2020 budget Nov. 28
- Army commences exercise crocodile smile lV in Ondo
- Bayelsa Poll: NGO decries tense political atmosphere, sues for restraint
- Adamawa government sacks polytechnic staff
- Bishop commends Gov. El-Rufai for stopping demolition of 110-year-old Church
- Trump open to deal with democrats over Obama’s DACA programme
- Minister tasks Defence Attachés on new security challenges
- 25th Anniversary: Sweet Sensation will improve on ‘Feeding the Hungry’ programme, says MD
- NYSC appeals to Kano State Govt over dilapidated orientation camp road
- Police Commission deploys 45 monitors for Kogi, Bayelsa elections
- Russia, Somalia recommit to jointly combating terrorism – Foreign ministry
- Gombe assembly impeaches deputy speaker
- CONMESS: COOUTH doctors have no need to embark on strike — Anambra Govt
- Fire guts a section of Niger Government House
- Ogun : Road traffic crashes claim 301 lives in 10 months – FRSC
- Rivers: Youth Leader wants probe of 28 NDDC contracts abandoned in Andoni LGA
- Regular training remains critical to Nigerian Army’s constitutional role–Buratai
- Senate appeals to FG to ban importation of textile for 5 years
- Expert cautions women on choice of Brassiers
- Man, 34, jailed six months in Osun for theft, assault