A former Vice President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Chief Victor Baribote, has advised the Super Eagles to acclimatise to the Egyptian weather ahead of the 2019 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) holding in the North African country.
Baribote, who was the second vice president of the federation, gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja on Thursday while reacting to the camping of the team in Egypt.
He said that camping in Egypt would enable the team to overcome weather challenges during the competition.
“Camping in Egypt is laudable because it will go a long way toward reducing some negative weather factors likely to affect their performance.
“Above all, they should try to blend with the weather in order to achieve the desired result,” Baribote said.
The former NFF vice president expressed optimism that the senior national team would not disappoint the country.
He said that the team consisted of relatively young men capable of facing any other team in Africa.
He urged the team to be focused and to play as a team so that they could win their matches, saying: “victory is not just wishful”.
NAN reports that the Super Eagles face Burundi, Madagascar, and Guinea in Group B of the tournament, which begins from June 21 and ends on July 19.
The competition has been expanded to accommodate 24 teams for the first time unlike in previous tournaments where only 16 teams participated.
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed
- Insurgency: Nigerian Army seeks support from NEDC
- Lawmaker tasks information officers on efficiency, professionalism
- Border Closure: FG inaugurates NFAN executives to boost fish production
- Group awards N1m scholarships to 10 Nekede Poly students