Algeria captain Riyad Mahrez is wary of Kenya being something of an unknown commodity when the two teams kick off their 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) campaign on Sunday.
“We do not know much about Kenya. We (the current players) never played against them,” Mahrez told a news conference on Saturday.
“We have watched a lot of videos of them and we have played similar teams.”
Kenya who are in Group C with the North African side are making their first appearance in the tournament since 2004.
They last played against Algeria 22 years ago.
Mahrez is Algeria’s highest profile player as they bid for their first Cup of Nations success since 1990.
But the Manchester City winger, who was named African Footballer of the Year in 2016, said he did not see himself as a talisman for the side.
“We don’t go into the game of worrying about who is a great player or who has won the African Footballer of the Year award,” he said.
“I’m part of a collective. The most important is the team. But I am delighted to be named the captain.
(Edited by Remi Koleoso and Olawale Alabi)
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study
- FG, Harvestplus, task Nigerians on making nutrition daily business