Nigerian short sprint record holders Blessing Okagbare and Divine Oduduru are among the stars on parade as the 2019 All-Nigeria Track and Field Championships kicked off on Thursday in Kaduna.
The annual event serves as the trials for athletes who will represent Nigeria at the 2019 African Games in Casablanca, Morocco and the 2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships in Doha, Qatar.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the championships has now set alight the tracks of the Ahmadu Bello Stadium.
The athletes will be contesting for the national titles and tickets to the two championships from the races, throws and jumps.
Records are therefore expected to tumble, especially in the men’s 100m and 200m events, where US-based Divine Oduduru has recently shown himself to be a force.
The other events to be competed for included the triple jump, the female sprints, quarter-miles and the javelin throw.
Speaking on the readiness of Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) for the three-day fiesta, AFN Technical Director Sunday Adeleye said they were ready for the competition.
He said they were set to organise one of the best trials in recent years.
“We are set for a competitive track and field championships.
“This is the first time the competition is coming to Kaduna state and considering that Ahmadu Bello Stadium’s tracks are fast, few records are at the risk of being shattered and new ones to be set.
“The athletes are in good shape and the weather is good. So far, we expect good performance all round from all the athletes.
(Edited by Olawale Alabi)
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study
- FG, Harvestplus, task Nigerians on making nutrition daily business