The President, Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), Habu Gumel on Monday charged Team Nigeria participating in the 1st edition of 2019 Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) Beach Games in Doha, Qatar to be worthy ambassadors.
Gumel, who gave the charge in Lagos, said that Gumel a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), told the athletes that a good name is better than gold.
“It is a thing of joy that Nigeria is participating in the 1st edition of this Beach Games just like we participated in the Winter Games last time.
“The most important thing is for you to compete and win well because a good name is better than any silverware won unjustly.
“Our great nation is proud of you and solidly behind you on this great task as we wish you well here in Doha,” Gumel said in a statement by the Media Officer of NOC, Phemmy Adetula.
He added, “The World Beach Games which is scheduled to end Oct. 16 is an international beach multi-sport event organised by the Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC).
“Nigeria is competing in Beach Volleyball and Beach Wrestling in 70kg and 50kg respectively.
“The board and the executive members of the NOC also felicitate with the President, Nigeria Judo Federation, Prince Timothy Nsirim on his appointment as the Chairman, Rivers State Road Maintenance Agency by His Excellency, Governor Nyesom Wike.
“I challenge you to bring your wealth of experience to bear in the new office as the confidence reposed in you is undaunted,” Gumenl said. (NAN)
(Editing by Peter Ejiofor)
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges