The 11-man Team Nigeria to the maiden 2019 Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) World Beach Games in Doha, Qatar on Thursday returned to the country with beautiful experiences of the Games.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the team touched down at the Murtala Muhammed Airport aboard Qatar Airways by 4.30 p.s
Team Nigeria participated in two wvwnts — Wrestling and Beach Volleyball — out of the 14 sports on stage.
Team Nigeria got a gold medal and asilver medal in wrestling 70+ and 50kg and came 5th in the Beach Volleyball.
On the experience of the Team in Doha, the gold winning coach, John Iwerina, told NAN that it was a beautiful experience for the Team participating as first timer.
“It was a beautiful experience for us as a team. This is our first experience in the Games. The technical crew and the players gave their best because we believe in ourselves.
“Putting in everything to the Games paid off as we are able to get medals in the event we participated in, having gold and silver medals is a plus for us.
“We would have got two gold if not for a little mistake by the silver medalist. This is a World Championships with experienced athletes, so, we are far better in performance.
“On the strength of this, we will be preparing well for the forthcoming Olympics to finish off where we started from,” he said.
The gold medalist, Blessing Onyebuchi said that participating on the world stage had given her a hint of oppositions to expect during the Olympics.
“The beach game is a different game entirely, but we were able to perform well. The team was determined to be successful from the onset and we did it.
“We also had tough challenges, but we thank God we are able to come out with good results,” she said.
A beach volleyball player, Abigail Abba, said that participating in the Doha challenge was a beautiful experience, adding that it could have been better if the team had prepared well.
“The tournament in Doha was good for us because we were exposed to another level of the game. The sand we practice with in Nigeria is different from the one we used in Doha.
“In all, what I noticed is that we could have performed better if we had adequate preparations before the Game,” she said. (NAN)
(Editing by Peter Ejiofor)
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges