Salvador (Brazil), June 23,2019 Colombia enjoyed a 1-0 win over Paraguay at the Copa America in spite of fielding a second string side on Sunday in the Brazilian city of Salvador.
The win helped to make it a clean sweep of victories in their group stage campaign, leaving Paraguay’s hopes of staying in the tournament hanging by a thread.
Colombia were guaranteed a place in the last eight as Group B winners and made 10 changes from the side that beat Qatar in their last outing.
But they still dominated play while Paraguay, who had to win to ensure they progressed, barely caused any danger.
Midfielder Gustavo Cuellar put Colombia ahead just after the half-hour mark, sliding the ball through the legs of Paraguay goalkeeper Roberto Fernandez.
Luis Diaz struck in the second half, but the goal was ruled out by VAR.
The technology was used again in stoppage time to over-rule a penalty kick which had been awarded to Colombia.
Carlos Quieroz’s Colombia side finished top of the group with nine points, while Argentina came second with four points.
Argentina also progressed to the quarter-finals after beating Qatar 2-0.
Paraguay are third on two points, with Qatar the last placed with one point.
- Sylva, NNPC staff, others pay tribute to ex-GMD of NNPC Baru
- COVID-19: Enugu govt. decontaminates Ogbete Main Market
- COVID-19: NCAC, NANTA advocate collaborations for tourism sector recovery
- Lagos govt. unfolds strategies toward resilient city evolution
- NiMet predicts cloudy, thundery weather activities, May 31 – June 2
- President Buhari loses nephew Ibrahim Dauda
- Veterinary doctors donate items to Ondo Govt to fight COVID-19
- LASG to decamp Abule-Egba pipeline explosion victims from Igando relief camp
- Resident Doctors issue 14-day strike notice to FG
- Buratai inspects local construction of combat vehicles in Maiduguri
- COVID-19 mortality rises to 50 in Lagos
- Plateau NANNM calls off ‘sit-at-home’ protest for members in JUTH Isolation center
- Covid-19: 4-month-old child discharged in Kaduna
- Northern governors mourn former NNPC boss
- Schalke 04’s U.S.-born player wears “Justice for George’’ armband
- Italy records 111 new coronavirus deaths, 416 new cases
- Delta has witnessed unprecedented development under Okowa – Lawmakers
- Banditry: Sultan seeks recruitment, funding of security agencies
- Kenyan farmers grapple with oscillating temperatures as climate varies
- Europe urges Trump to reconsider decision to withdraw from WHO