Salvador (Brazil), June 23,2019 Colombia enjoyed a 1-0 win over Paraguay at the Copa America in spite of fielding a second string side on Sunday in the Brazilian city of Salvador.
The win helped to make it a clean sweep of victories in their group stage campaign, leaving Paraguay’s hopes of staying in the tournament hanging by a thread.
Colombia were guaranteed a place in the last eight as Group B winners and made 10 changes from the side that beat Qatar in their last outing.
But they still dominated play while Paraguay, who had to win to ensure they progressed, barely caused any danger.
Midfielder Gustavo Cuellar put Colombia ahead just after the half-hour mark, sliding the ball through the legs of Paraguay goalkeeper Roberto Fernandez.
Luis Diaz struck in the second half, but the goal was ruled out by VAR.
The technology was used again in stoppage time to over-rule a penalty kick which had been awarded to Colombia.
Carlos Quieroz’s Colombia side finished top of the group with nine points, while Argentina came second with four points.
Argentina also progressed to the quarter-finals after beating Qatar 2-0.
Paraguay are third on two points, with Qatar the last placed with one point.
- Eid-el-Maulud: MURIC urges youth to embrace FG’s SIP
- Verdict: Oyo APC lauds Appellate Court, urges calm
- Rotaract Club donates hospital items to Ojodu Lagos PHC
- Niger Govt. reinvigorates school sports to engage youths meaningfully
- Edo Govt. to provide 100,000 hectares of land for oil palm investors
- MSD campaign: Obiano warns immunisation workers against collection of tips
- 2019 AFRIFF: Tanzania Film Board woos Africa movie investors
- Igbo youths celebrate Mamman Daura at 80, felicitate with Muslims on Eid-el-Maulud
- 60% of drugs imported to be manufactured locally – NAFDAC
- Buhari greets ex-Anambra Gov. Virgy Etiaba at 77
- 2019 AFRIFF: Namibia Film Commission seeks collaboration with Nigerian filmmakers
- Delta guber: Appeal Court reserves judgment in Ogboru’ suit
- Court reserves judgment in appeal against Ihedioha’s election
- Edo Special Marshals strategise for optimal efficiency during Yuletide
- Lam Adesina: 120 students benefit N1.2m bursary award
- Imbibe spirit of love, patience, equity, lawmaker advises Muslims
- NAFDAC calls for stiffer punishment for drug traffickers
- Expert urges govt. to fund artificial intelligence research to boost ICT
- Appeal Court judgment: Oyo people’s mandate remains intact – Makinde
- NYSC DG expresses concern over dress code controversy