Connect with us

Foreign

New Zealand PM receives death threats on social media

Published

on

Threat

Jacinda Ardern on social media, local media reported on Friday.

A Twitter post containing a photo of a gun and caption “You are next’’ was sent to the prime minister.

The post had been up for over 48 hours before the sender’s Twitter account was suspended after it was reported by various people.

According to the report, the suspended account contained anti-Islamic contents and white supremacist hate speeches.

Terror attacks hit New zealand’s Christchurch recently, killing no fewer than 50 people and injuring 50 others.

In the aftermath of the terror attacks, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern vowed to change the gun law in the country.

Foreign

DR Congo refugees head home to Kasai region from Angola – UN

Published

on

 

Refugee

UNHCR spokesperson Andrej Mahecic said at a UN briefing in Geneva that the movement was in apparent response to reports of better security in their places of origin.

“This appears to be a response to reports of improved security in some of their places of origin.

“Anxiety to return home in time for the beginning of the academic year, is also a strong factor,’’ Mahecic said.n

He noted that the refugee departures reported from Aug. 18 were spontaneous as more than a thousand had already crossed into DRC.

He said that many others were moving toward the border to DRC’s Kasai region from the Lovua settlement in Angola.

Kasai province is recovering from deadly clashes between armed groups and DRC forces in 2017 that displaced over 1.4 million people from their homes.

Around 37,000 refugees from the violence crossed into Angola which hosts more than 60,000 refugees and asylum-seekers, primarily from DRC.

Mahecic said this week’s spontaneous returns from northeastern Angola are linked with presidential elections.

He added that recent discussions between the visiting DRC officials and refugees had also help.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Kenya set for national census after ten years

Published

on

 

Census

Zachary Mwangi, director general of Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) told journalists in Nairobi that the last census was conducted in 2009 with minimal use of technology.

“The 2019 population and housing census will for the first time, capture data electronically through a mobile device in order to ensure more accurate information, security of data and faster processing of the results,’’ he said.

Mwangi added that enumeration will start on Saturday and end on Aug. 30.

The preliminary results will be released three months after the end of the exercise.

KNBS noted that the preparation, enumeration and tabulation of the census results are expected to cost 18.5 billion shillings (179 million U.S. dollars).

Mwangi observed that all those who will be within the Kenyan borders on the census night will be counted including persons on transit and outdoor sleepers.

According to the government official, the information to be collected will give an accurate picture of the number of people living in the country.

The official said the census is expected to help the country in the planning and formulation of policies to enhance the delivery of public services.

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Japan’s Abe sets out for G7 summit in France

Published

on

Summit

Leaders of Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, and the U.S. will converge on the southern French town of Biarritz from Aug. 24 to Aug. 26.

According to local media, during the summit, Abe plans to discuss with fellow G7 leaders about global affairs including international trade and climate change,

Abe told newsmen before his departure that he would discuss and seek progress on issues of sustainable global growth and free trade promotion, as well as regional issues such as North Korea, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, and Iran.

The local media added that in the tense atmosphere due to clashes between the U.S. and other members, Abe would attempt to play a part in preventing rifts within the G7 from widening,

The Japanese prime minister is scheduled to return to Japan on Tuesday.

YI/YEE

Continue Reading

Foreign

Kenya calls for more efforts to save African elephant

Published

on

Kenya calls for more efforts to save African elephant

Elephant

KWS made the plea at the ongoing Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species in Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) in Geneva, Switzerland.

It added that the theme of the convention was “the world stand for the survival of the giraffe and African elephant’’.

The KWS said in a statement issued in Nairobi that Kenya sought to get protection status by listing all nine giraffe subspecies in Appendix II.

It added that all elephants were also listed in Appendix I, adding that Kenya is preventing any down listing of elephants or reopening of ivory trade.

KWS said participants at the 18th Conference of the Parties of the CITES voted in favour of listing the species for the first time to protect it from unregulated trade.

According to conservationists, giraffe numbers have plummeted dramatically, by up to 40 per cent over the last 30 years, due to threats including international trade in their parts, as well as habitat loss, civil unrest and illegal hunting.

Giraffes are now listed in Appendix II to allow for trade monitoring and population status.

No down listing of elephants was allowed and no changes to allow ivory trade was allowed at the CITES meeting.

The Appendix II listing was proposed by the Central African Republic, Chad, Kenya, Mali, Niger and Senegal.

It was passed by 106 votes in support, with 21 votes against and seven abstentions.

An earlier vote on limiting the protection to apply only to sub-species outside of Southern Africa failed to achieve the required number of votes to pass.

In spite of the vote to save the giraffe, the KWS said, challenges remain in improving livelihoods, law enforcement, and closure of domestic ivory markets.

While giraffes fall prey to poaching for bush meat, bones, skin and tail hair, there is also a significant amount of international trade in their bone carvings and trophies, KWS said. (Xinhua/NAN)

HLM/DCU

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Chinese, other enterprises urged to invest in NW Zambia

Published

on

Chinese, other enterprises urged to invest in NW Zambia

Investment

Chingola, Zambia, Aug. 23, 2019 (Xinhua/NAN) Chinese enterprises, among other international investors, have been urged to take advantage of the North West Expo 2019 to invest in various economic ventures in north-western Zambia.

Provincial permanent secretary Willies Manjimela on Friday said the expo has been a success as it received overwhelming response from both local and foreign stakeholders.

Manjimela said the expo has triggered investment opportunities through attracting both local and international investors.

“We are hopeful that investors such as the Chinese and others will consider investing in the province after being availed with the investment opportunities that prevail in the region,’’ Manjimela said.

The expo was officially opened by President Edgar Lungu on Aug. 19, and it ends on Aug. 24.

Recently, Mukumbi Kafuta, President of Northwestern Chamber of Commerce and Industry, said the chamber, working in conjunction with the provincial administration, invited the Chinese enterprises to be part of the expo.

Kafuta said China has the resources and skilled manpower to invest in the province. (Xinhua/NAN)

HLM/MST

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.