Connect with us

Politics

Osun: PDP governorship candidate in Ekiti promises to reclaim mandate soon

Published

on

Mandate

Ado Ekiti, March 23, 2019 Prof. Kolapo Olusola, the former Ekiti Deputy Governor and Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) candidate in July 14 governorship election in the state has said that he will soon reclaim his mandate at the tribunal.

Olusola disclosed this on Saturday in a statement in Ado Ekiti, while congratulating PDP’s Sen. Ademola Adeleke who was declared governor on Friday by Osun Governorship Election Tribunal, in Abuja.

The former deputy described the tribunal judgement as “a red signal to Gov. Kayode Fayemi.”

Having lost to Fayemi at the tribunal, Olusola is currently at the Appeal Court seeking to be declared governor.

He said  “The stolen mandate of September 22 in Osun has been recovered and the victory of election riggers have turned pyhrric.

“One of the two legs supporting election rigging in Nigeria, which is contrived inconclusive and supplementary elections has been crippled

“The other obnoxious leg, which is militarisation of our elections to give the ruling APC advantage over the opposition as was witnessed  in the July 14 2018 governorship election in Ekiti, will also by God’s grace be crippled in due course

“Ekiti and Osun governorship elections were dress rehearsals for the unprecedented election rigging, vote buying and violence witnessed all over the country in the ongoing general elections

” If this was not so manifest last year, it has become so with the charade of elections conducted last February and which is still ongoing this March. ‘”

Olusola added that PDP in Ekiti would, by the grace of God retrieve its mandate allegedly stolen by the All Progressives Congress (APC) very soon.

He then called on those occupying offices to which they were not dully elected, to get ready to quit saying their days were numbered.

” If lies travel for a thousand years, truth will catch up with it in one day.

” Today it is Osun doing poetic justice to impostors and election riggers; tomorrow it will be the turn of Ekiti people to reclaim their own stolen mandate and have the last and best laugh. Who laughs last, laughs best.

” Ekiti people should not despair but keep hope alive. They should be encouraged with our party’s victory in Osun against all odds”, he said.

———

Politics

Cabinet nominees: APC women leader hails Sanwo-Olu over inclusion of 12 women

Published

on

Mrs Jumoke Okoya-Thomas, Women Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos State, has commended Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu for including 12 women in his 38 cabinet nominees.

She spoke with the Nigeria News Agency in Lagos on Saturday following Friday’s completion of the screening of the nominees by the 16-man ad hoc committee of the Lagos State House of Assembly.

Okoya-Thomas, a former member of the House of Representatives, said that the state would be better with the gesture.

“I am happy the leadership of the party has at least identified the quality ones among us. With 12 women out of 38 screened nominees, we are moving up.

“Lagos is a city of excellence; we set the pace for others to follow.

“So, if Lagos is putting 12 women of 38 cabinet nominees, I think the government has done very well.

“Also, there are other positions that are envisaged will be given to some more women that worked hard during the campaigns that put our governor in place,” she said.

According to the women leader, names of women are coming out much more than it used to be.

Okoya-Thomas said that the governor had fulfilled his promise to give the position of the Secretary to the State Government to women.

“With all these appointments coming up for women, the governor is true to his words. He is one person that one should believe in and trust,’’ she said.

On the capability of women to deliver and affect the system positively, Okoya-Thomas said that women were better trusted with positions of authority.

“You will be surprised about what these nominees will do. We are not leaving them.

“We are going to be interfacing with them regularly to ensure that they are only to do what they have been appointed to do.

“So, this particular set of women are not going to let the state down by creating problems. You will be amazed what they will do,’’ the former lawmaker said.

She also commended the National Leader of the party, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and the party for believing in women and their empowerment.

“So, we have leaders that are gender-sensitive and that is what I will say about Tinubu. He has recognised the efforts of women in the society,’’ Okoya-Thomas said.

NAN reports that the Commissioner and Special Adviser nominees, comprising of 12 women and 26 men, were screened in two batches by the committee, headed by Mr Rotimi Abiru, the Chief Whip of the House.

The 12 women nominees are Mrs Yetunde Arobieke, Mrs Lola Akande, Mrs Solape Hammond, Mrs Shulamite Adebolu, Mrs Toke Benson-Awoyinka, Princess Aderemi Adebowale and Ms Adekemi Ajayi-Bembe.

Others are Mrs Bolaji Dada, Mrs Uzamat Akinbile-Yusuf, Mrs Folashade Adefisayo, Mrs Ponnle Ajibola, and Ms Ruth Olusanya.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP salutes Gen. Babangida at 78

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has congratulated former Military President, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, on the occasion of his 78th birthday.

The party in a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Mr Kola Ologbondiyan on Saturday in Abuja said, “the PDP holds Babangida in great esteem.”

He described the former military head of state as a patriotic, fearless

and detribalised leader, who has dedicated his life to the unity,

stability and development of the nation.

“Babangida is celebrated for his many legacies while in office as

well as his steadfastness and exceptional commitment towards national cohesion, tolerance and peaceful coexistence in our country.

“Indeed, from this great Nigerian flows an enduring lesson in selfless

service.

“His life epitomizes the true virtue of statesmanship and the

fact that one can indeed climb to the very top and yet remain humble and accessible.

“The PDP, therefore, joins family members, friends, associates and

well-wishers in rolling out the drums in celebration of this outstanding

leader,” he said.

Ologbondiyan prayed God to continue to bless Babangida with many more years of good health and sound mind so that the nation would continue to benefit from his wealth of experience for the good of all.

Continue Reading

Politics

Ekweremadu confirms attack on him by IPOB members in Germany

Published

on

The immediate past Deputy President of the Senate, Sen. Ike Enweremadu has confirmed a physical assault on him

by some members of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, in Nuremberg, Germany, on Saturday.

Enweremadu confirmed the attack in a statement released by his Media Assistant, Uche Anichukwu in Abuja.

The News Agency o Nigeria reports that a 64-second video about the attack had gone viral on the social media earlier on Saturday.

NAN further reports that there were initial speculations on the veracity of the video where the senator was attacked with eggs by the irate IPOB members.

The Senator who also gave account of the event on his social media handle, @iamekweremdu, however, assured that he was safe.

He condemned the attack and said he had immediately reported it to the Nigerian Ambassador to Germany, Mr Yusuf Tuggar.

He said: “I attended the Second Annual Cultural Festival and Convention organised by Ndi-Igbo Germany in Nurnberg today where I was billed to give a keynote address along with the President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Chief Nnia Nwodo, who, however could not make it eventually.

“I was given a resounding welcome by Ndigbo in Germany and everything went smoothly until some men, who identified themselves as IPOB members stormed the venue and began to complain about the killings in the South East, stressing that there would be no Igbo event at the venue.

“I tried to engage them, but when they became unruly, I had to leave the venue. The organisers also invited the police and I was accompanied out of the venue.

“Much as I am disappointed in their conduct, especially as I am one of the persons, who have spoken up on justice for Ndigbo, the Python Dance, judicial killings in Igbo land and elsewhere both on the floor of the Senate and in my written and personal engagements with the Presidency and the media as well as rallied the South East Senate Caucus to secure Mazi Nnamdi Kanu’s release with Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe taking him on bail to douse tension in the South East, I nevertheless do not hold this to heart against them, for they know not what they do.

“I have received thousands of solidarity calls and messages from well meaning Ndigbo. I want to assure them that I am hail and hearty. I have also spoken with the Nigerian Ambassador to Germany, Ambassador Yusuf Tuggar.”

JTJ

Continue Reading

Politics

Lagos SDP gets acting Chairman, Publicity Secretary

Published

on

  The Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Lagos State has appointed Mr Olufemi Olaniyi, popularly known as Ferrari, as its acting Chairman.

The party’s state Publicity Secretary, Lekan Adebiyi, said in a statement issued on Friday in Lagos that the appointment was sequel to the suspension of the chairman, Chief Tunde Onakoya, for alleged anti-party activities.

He said that Olaniyi’s appointment was ratified at an appraisal meeting held by the new executive members, party leaders and elders from the South-West, local government chairmen and other party faithful.

Adebiyi said that the party also appointed him as the new publicity secretary at the meeting held at Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere, Lagos.

He said that the acting chairman, in his remarks, charged all party leaders to contribute their quota towards rebuilding the party in the state.

He quoted Olaniyi as pledging to ensure reconciliation between leaders and aggrieved members and that members should stop the blame game and accept the challenge of rebranding the party.

“The party will improve on the existing structures and generate new ideas to improve efficiency and effectiveness. We shall work in synergy with our national leaders to ensure that the party attain greater heights,” he further quoted him as saying.

Edited by Chioma Ugboma and ‘Wale Sadeeq

 

 

 

 
Continue Reading

Politics

PDM suspends 3 national executive members for alleged anti-party activities, fraud

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Movement (PDM) has suspended three of its national executive members for alleged anti-party activities and forging of party documents.

The officials are former National Secretary, Mr Gwada Abubarkar, the National Financial Secretary, Mr Habu Aminchin, who was the Presidential flag-bearer of the party and the National Youth leader, Mr Eke Ken.

Briefing newsmen in Abuja on Friday after its extraordinary NEC meeting, the Chairman of the party, Chief Frank Igwebuike said there was no faction in the party, adding that the party remained united.

Igwebuike said that the decision was a bi-product of the disciplinary committee set up by the party and was ratified by the NEC in the presence of INEC official.

“The national chairman has equally been given additional powers as the chief executive of the party, and no decision of the party will be executed without the approval of the party chairman, which must be put in writing.

“The party has also taken a decision that all those who have left the party because of accident or any other reasons, their positions will be filled immediately.

“It was a robust meeting and relationship was cordial throughout the NEC meeting.

I wish all those who came from far and near including INEC safe trip back.

“This is the first time INEC has attended and monitored our extraordinary congress meeting.

“There is no faction in the party, you can see that INEC is here and this shows that this party doesn’t have two leaders. If you go to INEC office, the only name you will find there is Chief Frank Igwebuike as the national chairman,’’ he said.

The PDM chairman said the petition before the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal was withdrawn by the suspended party members with advise from other party members.

He said it was necessary to withdraw the petition because the document used in filling the petition were all forged, adding that they could not stand the test of time.

“The allegation that I don’t carry other members along in running of the party is baseless with no iota of truth.

“There are different types of leadership style. if I don’t carry people along, you will not see members from different states for the NEC meeting. People from different states are all here.

“It’s better to remove persons that will destroy the party; we cannot allow our party to be labelled party of forgers, insubordination and misappropriation of party funds.

“I will not take that, if that is what makes people think I am autocratic, that is what I term discipline.

“What we are here to do is to build a very strong party, where people are disciplined and show absolute loyalty,” he said.

He assured that the party would come out stronger in 2023 with the new orientation and mobilisation with good party manifesto.

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.