Connect with us

Sport

England will not walk off pitch for racist abuse, says Southgate

Published

on

England will not walk off pitch for racist abuse, says Southgate

Racism

England’s 5-1 rout of Montenegro in Podgorica in March was soured by racist abuse from fans and the hosts were ordered to play their next European competition match behind closed doors as part of sanctions handed out by UEFA.

Southgate said he discussed the matter with England internationals Raheem Sterling, Danny Rose and Callum Hudson-Odoi and the players agreed that walking off would shift the focus to them rather than the issue of racism.

“They are clear they don’t want the story at the end to be about them as individuals,” Southgate told reporters on Thursday as he announced his squad for next month’s UEFA Nations League semi-final against Netherlands.

“They want football to be the story.

“In terms of walking off the pitch, that isn’t something they’re all on board with. None of the current team has expressed that as a preference… But they have had an opportunity to speak (publicly) and have an impact that way.”

Sterling, who had also been allegedly racially abused when playing for Manchester City at Chelsea, had last month signed a manifesto that called for consistent punishment for racist and discriminatory behaviour, including automatic nine-point deductions.

Southgate added that walking off the pitch would be nothing more than a “symbolic statement” which would not necessarily lead to reform.

“The bit that isn’t clear to me if we did that — apart from the question of whether we would be penalised — is what would happen then?” Southgate added. “It would be a statement, but what would that lead to?

“There are lots of statements that have been made and haven’t led to change and reform. For me, the broader discussion around racism, education is key.

“A lot of our players and former players have spoken brilliantly about that in recent months. I don’t think we need any more symbolic statements that this is unacceptable.”

Sport

African Games: Flying Eagles hold Morocco to 2-2 draw, book semifinal berth

Published

on

Nigeria’s Flying Eagles on Friday booked a semi-finals berth in the men’s football event of the 12th All African Games following a 2-2 draw against host, Morocco in their last Group A match.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the Flying Eagles fought back twice in the game to condemn the hosts to an early exit from the competition.

The hosts who needed a win to advance to the semi-finals stage started strongly and scored an early goal in the game.

Nigeria fought back and got a deserved equaliser late in the first half with Abubakar Ibrahim converting from the spot after Ahmad Ghali was brought down inside the box.

Morocco regained the lead from the spot early in the second half after a Flying Eagles player handled the ball in the box

However substitute Emeka Chinonso saved Nigeria’s blushes by netting the equaliser deep into stoppage time.

Continue Reading

Sport

Aston Villa get first points with 2-0 victory over Everton

Published

on

Win

London, Aug. 23, 2019 Promoted Aston Villa earned their first Premier League points of the season with a 2-0 win over Everton thanks to goals from Wesley and Anwar El Ghazi at Villa Park on Friday.

Villa’s Brazilian striker Wesley, signed in the close season for a club record 22 million pounds ($27.03 million), put them ahead in the 21st minute with a clinical finish after a perfectly timed through ball from Spanish midfielder Jota.

Everton, who could have claimed provisional top spot with a victory, went close to a first-half equaliser but Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s strike was superbly cleared off the line by defender Bjorn Engels.

The Merseysiders, who have four points, struggled to turn their pressure into chances until manager Marco Silva introduced new signings Moise Kean and Alex Iwobi just after the hour mark.

Iwobi struck the post in the 82nd minute with a low drive through a crowded penalty and then fellow substitute and former Arsenal winger, Theo Walcott, missed a great chance – volleying wide at the back post from a Kean cross.

Villa, back in the top flight after a three-year absence, made sure of the win in stoppage time when, after a break led by Wesley, Dutch substitute El Ghazi slotted home. (Reuters/NAN)

MUYI/OU

Continue Reading

Sport

Rangers handed partial stadium ban for fans’ racist behaviour

Published

on

Switzerland, Aug. 23, 2019 Rangers have been ordered by UEFA to close a section of their Ibrox Stadium for Thursday’s Europa League meeting with Legia Warsaw due to racist behaviour which includes “sectarian singing” by their supporters.

The ban was placed after the European soccer’s governing body opened disciplinary proceedings against the Scottish club.

Investigated was instituted after incidents involving their fans during the second leg of their Europa League qualifier against St Joseph’s on July 18.

The UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body ruled on Friday that Rangers must close a section of the stadium containing no fewer than 3,000 seats.

“Our supporters have been asked repeatedly by the club to refrain from indulging in this and other forms of unacceptable behaviour.

“Sadly the warnings have fallen on deaf ears and the actions of this minority will cause the club and the majority of good and decent Rangers supporters to pay a heavy penalty.

“This is deeply regrettable to all at the club and we hope that the guilty parties who attracted the attention of UEFA might reflect on the damage their unacceptable behaviour is causing Rangers and their fellow supporters,’’ the club’s statement said.

Sanctions for Thursday’s tie, which stands at 0-0 after this week’s playoff round first leg, also include a banner with “#EqualGame” to be placed across the empty section of seats.

Rangers Chairman Dave King said: “Rangers has players and supporters from many religions, cultures and backgrounds, but we are one and the same when we gather to support our club.

 

Continue Reading

Sport

Minister pledges rehabilitation of Abuja National Stadium

Published

on

Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare has pledged to ensure the urgent rehabilitation of the Moshood Abiola National Stadium Abuja in line with international best practice.

The minister made the pledge on Friday in Abuja when he inspected facilities at the stadium.

Nigeria News Agency reports that the minister inspected the main bowl, Velodrome, Media VIP center, Power house, Medical office, Technical building, dressing room among others.

He said he was impressed with some of the facilities but noted the urgent need for the rehabilitation of the main bowl, especially the football pitch which is in a deplorable state.

Dare stressed the need to come up with innovative ways to fund and maintain the facilities while hinting on plans to privatise

the pitch-side perimeter boards advertising like its done in developed countries.

“We are going to be innovative to see how we can get extra funding, and how we can privatise the football pitch (Pitch-side Perimeter advertising boards).

“I don’t want to put a timeline, but it’s sufficient to say that is right at the top of our agenda,

“Because we know it’s taking sometime and Nigerians are interested to See Super Eagles play in Abuja, the stadium will be ready soon, ” he said.

He emphasised on the consistent use of the stadium while pledging to work with relevant stakeholders to make the stadium the hub of sporting activities in the country.

NAN reports that the main bowl of the stadium has been abandoned for some time, because of the poor state of the pitch.

The Super Eagles who hitherto played their home matches there have since relocated to Uyo and Asaba because of the poor playing turf.

MUYI/SH

edited by Sadiya Hamza

Continue Reading

Sport

12th African Games: Nigeria’s women wrestlers target gold haul — Akuh

Published

on

Akuh told The Nigeria News Agency on Friday in Rabat that Nigeria women wrestlers would win all the six gold in the female category of the wrestling events.

“The girls will perform better than the 2015 African Games in Congo.

“We have watched clips of some wrestlers who pose as threats to us.

“We are prepared for every team coming to wrestle on the mat, and taking all six gold medals available is our target. I am confident the girls will do better.

“By the special grace of God, the girls will do well. The girls are determined to make the nation proud in the women’s wrestling event,’’ the 2017 Nigeria’s coach of the year in wrestling said.

NAN reports that Mercy Genesis (50kg), Bose Samuel (53kg), Odunayo Adekuoroye (57kg), Aminat Adeniyi (62kg), Blessing Oborodudu (68kg) and Blessing Onyebuchi (76kg) will compete in the women freestyle wrestling event.

The wrestling events will begin on Aug. 28.

DEB/PDE

(Editing by Peter Ejiofor)

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.