Connect with us

General news

Masari to head Northern Governors’ Forum security committee

Published

on

The Northern States Governors’ Forum (NSGF) on Friday appointed Gov. Aminu Bello Masari of Katsina State to head its committee to proffer solution to the security challeges in the region.

Gov. Kassim Shettima of Borno State and outgoing chairman of the Forum disclosed this in the communique he read at the end of the forum’s meeting in Kaduna.

“The Northern States Governors’ Forum convened a meeting to deliberate on the major issues affecting the northern states and the Nations at large, particularly the current challenges of insecurity which seem to be deteriorating, despite concerted efforts by the federal and state governments.

“The forum deliberated extensively on the nature of insecurity currently bedeviling the region and various ways and means of dealing with the situation.

“In order to tackle the challenges holistically in an all-encompassing manner, the forum set up a committee under the chairmanship the Governor of Katsina State, Alh. Aminu Bello Masari to inter-alia develop a comprehensive regional plan of action that could bring lasting solutions to the lingering crises.

“The committee, as part of its mandate would seek audience with Mr. President and make adequate presentation to him on the true nature of the security challenges,” Shettima said.

He said the committee would make suggestion based on insightful analysis and assessment of the situation on the best possible ways to solve the incessant problems.

According to him, the forum also appointed a committee headed by Gov. Badaru Abubakar of Jigawa to study the current structure as well as, mission and vision of the New Nigeria Development Company Limited (NNDC).

He said the committee would evolve a roadmap on how best to resuscitate and re-invigorate the company towards the realisation of its pre-set goals and objectives.

“Membership of the committee include Niger State Governor, Alh Abubakar Bello, Shamsudeen Usman, Ibrahim Ali, Bello Maccido, Ambrose Feese, MK. Ahmed and Abdullahi A. Sule.

“The forum after due consideration and wide consultations resolved to appoint Malam Tanimu Yakubu as the new Chairman of NNDC in view of his vast knowledge and wealth of experience.

Tanimu Yakubu is a former adviser to former President Umaru Musa Yaradua on Economic matters.

“It also resolved that the current management of the company which had been operating in acting capacity should remain until the appointment of a substantive Executive management.

“The committee on the NNDC as part of its assignment should ensure that the board of the NNDC follows due process in the appointment of the new executive management through advertisement of vacant positions and other extant procedures.

“Similarly, due process to be followed in respect to the new Nigerian Newspapers Company Limited.

“The forum also directed New Capital Properties, a subsidiary under NNDC to continue with the disposal of NNNC properties with a view to settling other outstanding liabilities of the company and transforming it into a new media outfit,” Shettima said.

He said the forum expressed appreciation to the Federal Government for settling the pension arrears of the company’s pensioners.

“The forum thanked the management of Ahmadu Bello Memorial Foundation for their laudable programmes and other noble activities that have direct impacts on the lives of the people.

“The forum assured the foundation of its continued support and assistance at all times.

“The forum elected the Executive Governor of Plateau State, His Excellency, Mr. Simon Lalong as the New Chairman of the Northern States Governors’ Forum with effect from 29th May 2019.”

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that governors of Borno, Katsina, Kano, Kogi, Niger, Plateau, Jigawa, Kwara, Sokoto and Kebbi States attended the event.

Edited by Julius Toba-Jegede

General news

ActionAid Country Director says peaceful coexistence recipe to violent extremism

Published

on

Mrs Ene Obi, Country Director, ActionAid Nigeria, says promotion of peaceful coexistence and encouragement of women to take leadership positions in various communities are plausible means of preventing violent extremism in the  country.

Obi disclosed this at the “2nd Women Summit on Preventing Violent Extremism in Kogi State”, on Tuesday in Lokoja.

She said there was a higher percentage that the country would attain greater endearing peace when women were entrusted with leadership positions to drive development process.

Represented at the Summit by Mr David Haba, Manager, Humanitarian and Resilience, ActionAid Nigeria, Obi noted that violent extremism was becoming a major challenge for many societies.

She said it was a threat to security and fundamental rights of citizens especially women all over the world.

“It it is true that while women rarely take part in conflicts they often bear the aftermath of an effects of violence ranging from psychological emotional and physical loss which continue to occur even after the conflict has ended.”

She held that women were prone to violent extremism saying that of the 970,000 migrants and refugees crossing the Mediterranean to Europe from violence prone-Middle East, 17 per cent were women and 25 per cent were children.

According to her, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) 2015

report says operations of Boko Haram have displaced 1.2 million people internally in Nigeria and forced more than 200,000 Nigerians to flee to Cameroon, Chad and Niger.

She noted that most of the victims were women and children.

She, however, commended the Kogi government for its commitment and maintenance of peace  but stressed the need for government to increase its investment on women issues.

Declaring the summit open, Dr Folasade Ayoade-Arike, Secretary to the State Government (SSG), called on women to keep close eye on their children and to advise them against being used by politicians as thugs in the forthcoming governorship election in the state.

The SSG reiterated the state government’s willingness to partner any agency that could assist the state in curbing violent extremism and other vices likely to ruin the future of women and their children.

Speaking earlier, Mrs Bolanle Bola-Olorunsaiye, the state Commissioner  for Women Affairs and Social Development, commended ActionAid for the summit.

She noted that the summit would provide the platform for a robust, deep and continuous advocacy about the scourge and trend of gender violence in the state.

The commissioner said “we are taking proactive measure and also collaborating with relevant agencies and partners to support policy strengthening, and institutional capacity building towards delivering interventions that address gender based violence, women, peace and security.”

Bola-Olorunsaiye commended organisers of the summit, ActionAid Nigeria and Participation Initiative for Behavioural Change in Development (PIBCID) for their constant willingness to partner the Ministry and the impactful programmes of the SERVE II project in the state.

Nigeria News Agency reports that the summit attracted no fewer than 1,500 women from the 21 Local Government Areas of the state.

Continue Reading

General news

Kogi upgrades 132 traditional rulers

Published

on

Kogi Government has approved the upgrading of 132 traditional rulers across the 21 local government areas of the state.

The Special Adviser to the state governor on Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr Abubakar Ohere announced this in Lokoja on Tuesday.

According to him, 21 traditional have been upgraded to first class status, 30 to second class and 81 to third class.

He said that all the affected monarchs had received their letters of upgrading and will be presented with staff of office by Gov. Yahaya Bello on Aug, 27.

Ohere said that the governor had also approved the constitution of a 23-member organising committe for the event which will hold in Lokoja, the state capital.

He said that the Ejeh of Dekina, Dr Usman Obaje, is the Chairman of the committee, while the Ologi of Ogidi, Oba Rafiu Oladimeji-Sule and the Obobanyi of Ihima, Chief Samuel Ojo-Onimisi will serve as deputies.

He added that the Permanent Secretary, Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr Dan Victor will serve as Secretary of the committee.

He stressed the importance placed on the traditional institutions by the present administration, urging them to work as a team so as to have a successful event.

In his remarks, Obaje, the committee chairman, lauded the governor for his respect for the traditional institution, assuring him of the support and cooperation of all traditional rulers in the state.

A member of the committee who is also the Administrator of Kogi Local Government, Mr Muhammed Tanko, in his remarks commended Ohere for his all-inclusive style of administering the affairs of the ministry.

Continue Reading

General news

Emir of Kano cautions journalists against sensational reporting

Published

on

The Emir of Kano, Malam Muhammadu Sanusi, has cautioned journalists, especially those in the print media, against sensationalising reports “just to make sales”.

“Journalists must avoid sensationalism that buries the real message of the news maker and cast headlines that could cause conflicts.

“A lot of resourceful persons keep mute because they fear that what they say will be twisted into something different,” Sanusi said on Tuesday in Kano.

The emir gave the advice when members of the correspondents chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Kano chapter, paid him a courtesy visit.

“The country is facing a lot of social and economic problems for which the government needs to be advised on ways to resolve them. That should dominate the news reports instead of the negative aspects of the news,” he said.

He reminded journalists that they were also Nigerians facing the same social and economic problems in the country, urging them to be concerned on how to resolve them.

He, however, praised their commitment to news reporting and called on them to continue along that path.

“Your job as newsmen is a very important one. But there are a lot of corrections to be made. This is because you are tasked with ensuring that correct news is reported, though you have to also sell your newspapers.

“Our problem with the newspapers is that one would speak for 15, 20, 30 minutes, but when you want to report, you pick on a single sentence or statement that will attract sales for the paper and publish.

“While publishing it, it is not considered whether such a statement is in consonance with the context in which it was made.

“There are times when the government will be given important advices on issues concerning the well-being of the citizens, but such advices are not carried by the papers.

“Instead, it is statements that have to do with criticisms and controversy that are reported in order to make sales.

“In the end, the useful advice will be buried and the public will not understand the actual things that were said and will be pushed into unnecessary controversies.

“More so, in the course of filing such reports, it is not considered whether it is fair to the person being quoted. Such reports set a section of the public unnecessarily against the person being reported.

“When this happens, one is forced to go into making explanations to clear the air. In the past, only unpopular newspapers were involved in this, but now it is everywhere,” he fumed.

He urged newsmen to correct that attitude “in the interest of the public and the development of the country”.

“Statements on peaceful coexistence, economy, poverty and social life of the people are made specifically to bring about corrections. But when newspapers sensationalise these views to make sales, the important message is lost.

“There are a lot of people that have a lot of good and useful things to contribute, but they are forced to remain silent by this style of reporting,” Sanusi said.

Edited by Saidu Adamu and Ephraims Sheyin

Continue Reading

General news

CITAD appeals to FG to lift ban on mining activities 

Published

on

Centre for Information, Technology and Development (CITAD), has appealed to the Federal government to lift the ban on mining activities, especially in Kebbi.

The Director of the centre, Prof. Yunusa Ya’u, made the appeal at a press conference held at the centre in Kano on Tuesday.

He said that a research conducted by the centre in some local government areas of Kebbi, revealed that the ban had rendered about 156,000 people jobless.

“We studied three mining sites namely, Mararrabar Yawuri, Makeri in Ngaski local government and Tungan Zakara in Shanga local government area.’’

He said that mining had been a large employer of labour in Kebbi, but the industry came to a standstill with the increasing rate of violence in Zamfara, which led to a ban on mining activities in the region.

The implications of the ban according to the centre, has been visible in the communities with increased theft, which might escalate to confrontations.

The centre, therefore, appealed to the government to lift the ban and open the mining sites especially as the operators were operating legally.

The centre urged all relevant agencies to provide close monitoring of the mining sites.

It also appealed that the government establish a mechanism for ensuring that mining products were accurately captured to ensure transparency and accountability.

Continue Reading

General news

Navy raises alarm over dangers of ship wrecks on Nigerian waters

Published

on

The Nigerian Navy on Tuesday in Lagos raised alarm over the impending dangers ship wrecks posed on the Nigerian waters.

The Flag Officer Commanding (FOC), Western Naval Command, Rear Adm. Oladele Daji, raised the alarm at a news conference held at the Base in Apapa, Lagos.

The Nigeria News Agency Correspondent who was part of the on-the-spot assessment team, saw the dangers posed by the ship wrecks on the Lagos-Badagry Waters.

According to Daji, the area that is mostly affected is the Tin Can Island, Kirikiri, Navy Town and bad portion of the Badagry Creek.

“The hazard associated with these wrecks is that most often, especially during high water, they are submerged and hardly visible to mariners and , therefore, pose greatest threats during this period of time.

“Apart from endangering shipping, most of the wrecks also constitute environmental pollution and hazards.

“I do not think it portrays us as a country with laws and regulations in good light, especially to the global shipping community,” he said.

The FOC said about 35 of such maritime wrecks had been identified which were submerged along the very busy Lagos channel that provide a vital access into the Tin Can Island port.

“In addition, there are several navigational aid like the oils, markings, and light houses that are not functional or missing or have shifted from their intended original positions.

“The absence of these navigational aids also constitute risks to shipping, especially at night or during restricted visibilities.

“You will recall that just a few months ago, one of our vessels, Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Calabar, while moving harbours for patrols, was involved in mishap and struck a submerged wreck, just in the middle of the channel.

“You will all agree with me that this can be avoided if those wrecks are promptly removed when they were identified,” Daji said.

He added that removal of the wrecks would have saved a lot of down time for the availability of the vessel.

“It would as well save us the money and resources that will be put into making that vessel operational which would have been deployed into better and more productive endeavours.

“Other vessels, apart from NNS Calabar, have also suffered similar fate in the past.

“In particular, when it comes to distress calls from vessels at sea, it becomes difficult for agencies to respond to such emergencies because of the threats posed by the wrecks on our waterways.

“During the day, we might be able to figure out where they are, but at night and in poor or restricted visibility, it is very difficult to see the exact location of these wrecks,” he said.

The FOC said that the Hydrography office of the Nigerian Navy, in line with its statutory responsibilities as identified, had resurveyed these wrecks and the surveys had been shared to relevant agencies of government.

“The surveys had been shared to the agencies and departments responsible for removal of the wrecks on our waterways.

“It will, therefore, be necessary for such authorities to take urgent action and remove these wrecks on our waterways so that shipping, especially the safety of ships and sea fearers will further be guaranteed.

“Additionally, the replacement and servicing bad navigational aids will equally assist the safety of navigation.

“It will enhance the ability of responding agencies to quickly move and respond to emergencies in case of distress at sea,” he said.

The FOC added that distress calls would be greatly enhanced, thereby creating the needed enabling environment for businesses, especially maritime-related businesses to thrive.

“It will also build the confidence of seafarers on our waters,” he said.

The FOC assured everyone that Nigerian Navy, in carrying out its statutory responsibilities, would continue to collaborate to ensure and promote safety and security on our waterways.

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.