President of Republic of Rwanda, Mr Paul Kagame, says it is within the powers of African leaders to end corruption in the continent.
Kagame made this known at a National Democracy Day Anti-Corruption Summit in Abuja on Tuesday.
The summit, organised by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has “Curbing Electoral Spending: A panacea to Public Corruption” as theme.
Kagame said that the war against corruption was a campaign fight that could be won, and that tolerating the vice was a choice and not an inevitability.
“It is within our power to end it; that is the most important starting point, otherwise, it will be a waste of time for us to keep talking about it,” he said.
He said that the primary responsibility of tackling the scourge laid with leaders at every level, where corruption “has become the norm, a way of life because leaders have made it acceptable and made it that way”.
The Rwandan president said that corruption needed to be tackled from ‘top to down’, adding that it was one of the freest approaches and one of the most effective.
“This is because it empowers the public to join in the fight and hold leaders accountable through elections and other means.
“Corruption is a universal weakness and not an African one. It is not part of our destiny as a continent.
“Indeed, research has shown that some of the biggest sources and beneficiaries of corruption, are outside of Africa,” he stated.
But, he insisted that the scourge could definitely be reduced to the barest minimum if stakeholders worked collectively.
Kagame listed culture, responsibility, accountability and effectiveness as keys to overcoming corruption, adding that it was time to redefine transparency as a global objective requiring leaders to collaborate to curb corruption.
“Corruption does not take decades to eradicate. We have to set our sights high; it is not enough to fight corruption just as merely fighting poverty.
“It is too small an ambition for Africa. We want to create value, we want to create wealth, not merely fighting corruption,” he said.
Kagame congratulated Buhari on his re-election, saying “I wish to give you our very warm congratulations on your re-election and best wishes for the entire Nigerian people on the role ahead.
“President Buhari is African Union’s (AU) champion, in the fight against corruption.”
Edited by Olabisi Akinbode and Olisa Ifeajika
Armed men kidnap 5 persons in Kaduna – Police
The Police in Kaduna has confirmed the kidnap of five persons by armed men on Friday at Danbushiya Village, at the outskirt of Kaduna metropolis.
The Command Public Relations Officer, DSP Yakubu Sabo, confirmed this in a statement on Saturday in Kaduna.
Sabo said on Aug. 23 at about 2300hrs, DPO Malali reported that he received a distress call that, Armed men in military uniform blocked access road to Baba Tunde Fashola Housing Estate, Danbushiya Village, at the outskirt of Kaduna and intercepted a Honda Accord Reg. No. LND 753 AL and five other vehicles and kidnapped seven persons.
According to him, patrol teams within the metropolis led by the DPO were quickly mobilised to the scene of the incident but the hoodlums had already escaped with the victims.
“However, due to pressurised patrols within the general area, two of the victims were later found being released by the hoodlums.
“The two released victims alongside the vehicles were recovered to the Police station,” the spokesman said.
He also disclosed that “upon search, the sum of $10,000 US Dollars and N647,300 cas were recovered in one of the vehicles”.
He also explained that combined teams of police Anti-kidnapping Unit and Vigilantes were later dispatched to the scene for search operation with a view to arrest the perpetrators and rescue the remaining five victims.
“The IGP’S IRT were also contacted for Technical Support in tracking the hoodlums,” he added.
Sabo said the Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Ali Janga, has assured that the incident would not deter the command from its collective determination in the recent war against criminals.
He therefore called for continued support by all well meaning citizens of the state.
Edited by Muhammad Suleiman Tola
Buratai tasks RSMs on professionalism, discipline in Army formations
The Chief Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has charged Regiment Sergeant Majors (RSM) in the Nigerian army to promote professionalism and discipline among soldiers in all formations.
Buratai gave the charge at the closing ceremony of RSM Annual Convention which ended on Saturday in Kaduna.
The Army chief was represented by Chief of Administration, Army Headquarters, Maj.-Gen Musa Yusuf.
The News Agency report that the theme of the five-day convention in which 306 RSMs participated was “Professionalism Through Regimentation in the Nigerian Army.’’
The Army chief also tasked the RSMs to impart the knowledge learnt at the convention to other soldiers.
Buratai said: “We want to see improvement in terns of professionalism and discipline regimentation in all our formations, units, barracks, cantonments and offices.”
He noted the resource persons had added invaluable knowledge to the participants, which “made all of us better than how we came into this convention.”
“We have promised ourselves from this moment, we are going to see improvement in the way we do our business in Nigerian Army.”
Earlier, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1 Division, Kaduna, Maj.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya, said the convention was to enhance the capacity of the RSMs who occupy important position in the hierarchy of the army.
Yahaya charged them to extend the knowledge they have gotten to their units.
” Let’s see changes and improvement in the way you address your responsibilities in your formations,” he added.
The GOC appreciate the Army Chief for allowing the Division to host the Convention.
report that the RSMs Convention is the third to be held since its reintroduction by Buratai on assumption of office.
Edited by Maharazu Ahmed
Police release 21 phone numbers to report unprofessional conduct in Enugu
The Police Command in Enugu State has made public 21 phone numbers of its top officers for direct complaints of unprofessional conducts among its personnel by the public.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Ebere Amaraizu, announced this in a statement made available to News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Enugu.
He said that the release of the phone numbers for direct complaint was in line with the command’s resolve to hold its personnel accountable for any unprofessional conducts.
Amaraizu said that the decision to make the phone numbers public followed a resolution reached by the command and its relevant stakeholders in a recent meeting on Campaign Against Police Unprofessional Conduct.
“In further compliance with the resolutions and to make its personnel accountable, the command is requesting the public, tricycle riders, bus drivers and other stakeholders to contact the policr for unprofessional conducts.
“The officers and their phone numbers are; CP Sulaiman Balarabe, 08188810695, ACP Huruna Alaba, 08033455356, ACP Dennis Anyai, 08033447426, ACP Umoru Ozigi, 08066272903, ACP Ashu Ottah, 08037184272 and ACP Z.A. Pembi, 08107269282.
“ACP Edwin Ogbeghagha, 08033140979, SP Ebere Amaraizu, 08038829086, CSP Hope Isiani, 08033095702, CSP Clever Eluha, 08036157598, SP Arthur Amobi, 08033137169, CSP Okey Ambrose 08037038878 and SP Fredrick Azubuike, 08033618584.
“Others are CSP Augustina Ogwo 08038947284, CSP Danladi Mashat, 08033232671, SP Adamu Garba, 08037019824, SP Emma Ehirim, 08039340353, SP Nathaniel Omeje, 08039333728, CSP Ezenwa Onyekaba, 08068820580, CSP Ogonnaya Okpara, 07037663365 and SP Julius Ugwuanyi, 08064331435.”
The police spokesman appealed to residents of the state to join hands with the police to ensure the success of the campaign.
NAF to deploy additional fighter jets, helicopter gunships to North East
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says it is planning to deploy additional fighter jets and helicopter gunships to complement ground forces fighting insurgents and bandits in the North East and North West Zones.
The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, said this during his operational visit to NAF 115 Special Operations Group in Port Harcourt on Saturday.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Abubakar was at the NAF base to witness the reactivation and air display of the EC135 attack helicopter which was damaged in 2016.
He said that NAF was currently carrying out repairs on aircrafts which had been abandoned at air force bases across the country.
“NAF is mobilising every assets in our inventory to ensure that we secure Nigeria and the Nigerian people from internal and external aggression.
“The EC135 helicopter is among others that has recently been reactivated and others are at different stages of completion to make the country secure, peaceful and stable,” he said.
Abubakar said that completion of the repairs on the air assets would aid the current fight against insurgents and bandits in the country.
He added that the successful repairs of abandoned attack helicopters in the country was indicative that NAF had made progress in its bid to build local capacity.
“This in-country reactivation has also enabled us to save scarce foreign exchange that otherwise would have been expended in carrying out the repairs abroad.
“This has enabled the transfer of required skills and expertise to our personnel, therefore helping NAF build additional capacity to sustain its operations.
“Our target is to ensure that the next time we are carrying out maintenance of these aircrafts, we would not require any foreign assistance.
” It will be done by Nigerians,” he said.
He also said that NAF was currently training personnel in Nigeria and abroad to operate the various gunships for better air power.
According to him, NAF has recorded successes in improving its assets and welfare of troops with the support of President Muhammadu Buhari.
“This support has enabled us to meet the operational needs and requirements needed for improved efficiency and welfare of troops,” he said.
Indian hemp being cultivated in 11 Plateau LGAs – NDLEA
The Plateau Command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says cannabis sativa (Indian hemp) is currently cultivated in large scale in 11 local government areas of the state.
Mumuni also said that the rate of production and consumption of hard drugs in the state had been on the increase.
He said that Indian hemp was before now transported from other parts of the country to Plateau, but that the banned substance was now being cultivated in large quantity in the state.
“As a personnel of NDLEA, I can categorically say that the proportion of drug abuse in Plateau is on the increase.
“For instance, initially cannabis sativa is being imported from other parts of the country to Plateau.
“Later they started cultivating it in Shendam Local Government Area, but as I speak, the cultivation has spread to 11 local government areas in the state.
“Plateau as at today is cultivating Indian hemp in large quantity,” he said.
The official also decried the proliferation of patent medicine stores in Jos and environs, adding that the menace remained the bane of the fight against the sale and consumption of illicit drugs in the state.
“This is why I said NDLEA alone cannot end the consumption of hard substances in the state; the role of community and religious leaders and parents is key in this regard.
“These things happen in communities and people in those communities know the perpetrators. So, they should endeavour to report them to us for further action,” he urged.
Mumuni, who linked most of the crisis experienced over the years in Jos to drug abuse, advised residents, particularly the youth, to desist from consumption of hard substances.
He said the practice was affecting the health of individuals and also making them indulge in social vices that mostly led to break down of law and order.
Edited by Abdullahi Yusuf