Key stakeholders in federal universities across the country on Tuesday pegged 160 as the minimum bench mark for admission of candidates for the 2019/2020 academic year.
The decision was reached at Joint 19th Policy Meeting on Admissions to tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
The event held in Gbongan, Osun.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the stakeholders also unanimously agreed to commence the admission registration procedures for institutions of first choice of candidates in all public universities from Aug. 21 to Nov. 16.
They also agreed that all private universities would peg minimum admission benchmark on 140 and above.
The admission registration process for candidate’s institutions of second choice will commence on Nov. 17 to Dec. 17, according to them.
They voted that the minimum UTME score of candidates for public Polytechnics should be pegged on 120 and above while that of their private counterparts was fixed for 110 and above.
The minimum cut off mark for the Colleges of Education was also agreed on 110 and above.
The stakeholders also agreed to extend the admission registration procedure for private universities to Feb. 15, 2020.
“The admission process would be guided by the approved institutional /programmes cut-off marks and minimum UTME score as submitted by the respective institutions.
“The minimum UTME score for admission will be as prescribed by each institution subject to the respective National Minimum UTME score,” the JAMB Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede told the stakeholders.
According to him, admission for the 2019/2020 academic session would be conducted on the Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS).
He added that the principal participants would include himself as the Chairman, head of tertiary institutions, JAMB’s director of admissions, its desk officers and the candidates.
He said that the policy guidelines for the 2019 admission as approved by the policy meeting and the directives by the minister of education would be formally communicated to all institutions on or before July 1.
According to him, documents for the 2019 admission exercise will include the 2019 UTME/DIrect Entry results, JAMB’s 2018 admission quota as prescribed by the respective regulatory bodies of the various tertiary institutions and the 2019 UTME brochure as published on IBASS.
He added that it would include the guidelines on admission into tertiary institutions as prescribed by the proprietors (federal, state and private).
According to Oloyede, institutions are also to recommend candidates for admission, after presenting to the board, through the CAPS, the approved general quota for each institution and the distribution to the various programmes.
“‘Other information needed to be forwarded to CAPS are the UTME score for each programme, minimum direct entry qualification grades for Direct Entry candidates as well as components of cut-off marks and the allotted score for each component.
“The institutions are also required to recommend the cut-off date for the first and second choice admission of candidates after which no result upload nor chance into the institution as first choice will be allowed,” he said.
He added that supplementary admissions could be allowed.
Oloyede said that any institution interested in conducting any form of post UTME screening could do so, but warned that the gross charge for such screening must not exceed N2,000.
“It is not allowed for any institution to make post UTME candidates, directly or indirectly incur further related expenses such as administrative and bank charges.
“Such should be at no additional cost to the candidates.
“JAMB will provide for free, to all institutions, access to photo images and finger -print data of all candidates in order to curb the substitution of candidates.
Earlier in his address, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Mr Sonny Echono, commended the board for efforts to fight examination malpractice.
Echono, who was represented by the Director, Tertiary Education in the ministry, Mr Ojo Samuel, said that the recent investigations carried out candidates suspected to have been involved in malpractice in recent UTME was a pointer that the examination industry must re-strategise in order to sanitise the system.
He urged the board not to leave any stone unturned in a bid to ensure that all culprits and collaborators were brought to justice.
“I, therefore, urge that all institutions must ensure that candidates seeking admissions must be thoroughly screened to ensure that they are the real owners of the results they carry.
“All institutions must also ensure that the matriculation list on the CAPS are appropriate in content and in time.
“I want to plead with JAMB and heads of tertiary institutions to ensure that candidates with special needs such as the blind are considered for admission, provided they meet the minimum requirements,” Echono said.
Edited by Ijeoma Popoola
Gov. AbdulRazaq regrets death of 17 Kwara indigenes going for Post-UTME
AbdulRazq in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Rafiu Ajakaye, described the incident as a painful one that could have been prevented.
He, therefore, commiseratedp with the parents and families of the students and prayed to God to avert such calamity in future.
“We, however, believe that we can avoid this calamity in the future. We reiterate our calls on the drivers to always check their speed, respect other road users, and put their vehicles in the best condition.
“Most accidents occur because our drivers often fail these three basic tests of safe driving.
“Besides, we call on our tertiary institutions, which still require students to travel long distance for their post-UTME examination to please consider holding such test online to avert the necessity of travelling.
“This will not only reduce traveling and attendant risks, but also encourage students to embrace and excel in computer literacy, a sine qua non for success in the 21st century,” the governor was quoted as saying.
Nigeria News Agency reports that the 17 students lost their lives in an auto accident when their Toyota Haice bus with registration number AGL337 XA had head-on collision with a DAF Articulated Truck.
The accident occurred at about 12.35 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 22 at Bacita junction in Kwara.
Don says infrastructural development key to promotion of excellence
By Chinyere Nwachukwu
Lagos, Aug. 25, 2019 Prof. Mike Adebamowo says consistent infrastructural developments and partnership are part of the measures adopted by the University of Lagos (Unilag) to promote culture of excellence especially in the area of research.
Adebamowo of the Department of Architecture at Unilag, disclosed this in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency on Sunday in Lagos.
He was speaking against the backdrop of the ongoing two key projects : the re-designing of the institution’s ‘main gate at Akoka and the vertical extension of the Faculty of Law.
The Dean of the Faculty of Environmental Sciences added that the university was also intensifying its efforts to attract more partnership, funding, scholarship and support, especially in research.
He said that would continue to give it the necessary visibility it deserved.
“Right now, the work going on at the university gate is the construction of a canopy over the existing gate, as well as the construction of some lay-bys along the road.
“The entire intention of the project which, incidentally, I happen to be the architect is to minimise the level of public activities around the university gate.
“If you are coming into the campus, you will agree with me that there are lots of activities other than the congruent activities to an institution of this class.
“University of Lagos is a brand but we believe that those commercial activities like the tricycles, (keke marwa), bikes (okada) and others, passenger drop offs and the rest of that, especially in the evening, around the gate do not befit our institution as we are to promote excellence.
“So, first and foremost, there is an urgent need to redesign the frontal approach of the institution in order to eliminate the current chaos that is ongoing there,” he said.
According to him, this is being done by applying some simple design measures that will take the lay-bys away from the junction around the entrance of the university.
He explained that the design would create an escape route from the campus to Akoka without necessarily getting to the intersection.
“We have already re-designed the whole of the place and widen the pedestrian walk ways that feeds into the campus.
“While doing that, we have eliminated all those bus stops that we have around the campus and we have moved them slightly away.
“The new extended walk ways that have been widened will now be guided by decorative fence grills.
” That will prevent any one from accessing the road other than from the inlet point where you can come in from the bus stops,” the dean said.
He noted that having solved these problems, the university would also have a striking canopy over the existing gate.
According to the don, with the striking canopy, the institution will have an imposing character.
He explained that the university was favoured to have this as a Lagos project funded by the state government.
He said that the design of the project started during the tenure of the immediate past Vice- Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Rahaman Bello and it is now being executed under the leadership of Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe.
“It is a project that the immediate past governor of the state, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode, donated to the university and the current administration has keyed-in into it to ensure its completion.
“I believe that with this kind of gesture coming from the Lagos State Government, coupled with the current administration outlook and vision of the incumben V-C, the university has been able to continunually attract funding, scholarship, support and partnership.
“” These are both in the areas of research which is our major preoccupation and also infrastructural and physical development,” Adebamowo said.
Similarly, he added that the vertical extention project of the Faculty of Law, sponsored by Mr Femi Okunu, would further complement the university’s quest for academic excellence and global recognition.
“Currently, we are adding another floor on the existing building of the Faculty of Law, which will accommodate more offices, because right now, the faculty is in dire need of office spaces.
“It will also be accommodating more classrooms and space for a moot court.
“As the architect handling the project, we intend to also give it an imposing character that will enhance the quality of the building and the environment,” he said.
He assured the university community and the public that the two projects would be delivered before the end of the year.
Edited by Peter Dada
Katsina Govt procures N14m technical, vocational facilities for Secondary Schools
Katsina State Government has spent over N14 million on the purchase of asorted equipments and materials for technical and vocational education, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Hajiya Halima Othman, has said.
Othman made the disclosure in Katsina on Saturday while distributing the facilities to seven secondary schools in the state.
The permanent secretary was represented by the Director Quality Assurance in the Ministry, Alhaji Zayyana Zubairu.
Othman said that the state government would continue to accord priority to education because of its relevance to nation building.
She further said that the administration would continue to boost technical and vocational education in recognition of its importance in creating job opportunities for youths.
The permanent secretary urged the benefiting schools to make judicious use of the facilities for the development of technical education in the state.
Earlier, the Zonal Coordinator, Education Quality Assurance, Katsina, Alhaji Nasiru Kado, appreciated the effort of the state government in providing the equipment and material to the schools.
He said that it would go a long way in assisting students studying technical subjects to acquire technical know-how and learn vocational skills that would assist in making them self reliant in future.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the benefiting schools were Dikko College, Katsina; Government Day Secondary School Kofar Yandaka, Government Unity Secondary School Malumfashi and Sir Usman Nagoggo College of Arabic and Islamic Studies, Katsina.
Others were Government Pilot Secondary School Daura, Government Pilot Secondary School Mani, and Government Pilot Secondary School Funtua.
Kaduna earmarks N1.8bn for foreign, local scholarship
The Executive Secretary, Kaduna State Scholarship and Loans Board, Hajiya Jummai Dikko, says the board has earmarked over N1.8 billion for foreign and local scholarship to students from the state.
She made the disclosure in an interview with Journalists shortly after the Silver Jubilee Anniversary of Muslims Refresher Course Programme (MRCP) conducted by Islamic Education Initiative, held in Zaria, Kaduna state.
Dikko said: “The State Government has earmarked over N1 billion for foreign scholarship to indigenes students of the state.
“Currently, the State Government had also appropriated the sum of N800 million for local scholarship to students in this year’s budget.
“Of the N800 million, the board had expended N774 million for local scholarship, each beneficiary enjoys the sum of N100,000.
“This is a drastic shift from the earlier amount of fifteen thousand naira received by students in the state as scholarship in the previous administrations.
“However, since the inception of His Excelency, Gov. Nasir Ahmed el-Rufa’i, the amount skyrocketed to N100,000 per student.”
According to her, the state government is currently sponsoring five MBBS students in Cuba for a six-year programme, hoping that they will graduate and become Medical Doctors.
“The sum of N300 million has already been set aside to cover the duration of their programme.
“This is done to prevent any academic interruption in the event of change of government or leadership in the state.
“The Governor has made this arrangement to enable students complete their studies without any hitch.
“I am also happy to note that one of the students sponsored for the medical training in Cuba was a product of this Muslim Refresher Course Programme.” she said.
A lecturer with the Department of Electronic and Telecommunications Engineering, ABU Zaria, Dr Kabir Ahmed noted that there was a huge gap between students of Northern extraction and their counterparts from other regions in the country.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Ahmed presented a paper titled: Youth of Northern Nigeria: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.
He lamented that the sorry condition of schools in the North, lack of proper enlightenment and guidance led to the level of backwardness in performance of students from the region.
The Don urged Northern elites to support the education of younger ones to bridge existing gaps.
reports that the occasion featured unveiling of a Magazine titled “Refresher” and presentation of awards to deserving students and teachers of the programme.
Edited by Maharazu Ahmed
NGO takes ‘Back to School’ campaign to Ibadan
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the NGO, Seun Akinlosotu and Friends, distributed no fewer than 500 brand new school bags and exercise books to the pupils.
recalls that the group founded by Seun Akinlosotu, a philanthropist, commenced its campaign in 2018 in Ondo State where it distributed similar materials to no fewer than 300 pupils.
Akinlosotu told on the sidelines of the exercise that the campaign was to encourage pupils to return to school.
“This initiative is devoid of any personal gain. I believe thoroughly in the quotes of Robert F Kennedy which says that the purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better.
“The effort is to contribute significantly to the society and take off part of the burden of parents in sending their children to school. We believe this will also encourage the pupils to return to school.
“This campaign is funded by donations from friends and family members across the world,” she said.
She said that millions of naira was expended in acquiring the 500 brand new school bags as well as exercise books distributed to the pupils in Ibadan.
Akinlosotu expressed joy that the pupils would return to school with bags that would last them for between three and four years, promising that the campaign would keep improving.
“Our target is to keep increasing the distribution annually. Last year, we distributed 300 and now 500. May be we are going to do 1,000 in other states.
“We have been able to create a platform for everybody to come together, contribute the little they have and accomplish something big,” she said.
Akinlosotu also expressed fulfillment with the response and happiness displayed by both the parents as well as the pupils, promising more of such initiatives.
She said that the group was in Ibadan because the Oyo capital had the highest number of votes on its online platform.
Adelanke Adeola, who spoke on behalf of the parents, commended the group for extending the gesture to them, praying God would bless them the more.
“Some of the parents here told me they are widows and can’t afford to buy bags for their children.
” This is indeed a good gesture. I pray the Lord will help them to continue doing this,” she said.
reports that several other parents and pupils at the event expressed joy at the gesture from the group.