Connect with us

Sport

Amputee footballers laud Yagazie Foundation’s partnership for national championship

Published

on

Amputee footballers have applauded Yagazie Foundation for its determination to be engaged in the activities for the 5th Cup of Africa Nations Amputee Football (CANAF) in September.

Ugochukwu Obieze, Athletes’ Representative of Nigeria Amputee Footballers Players Association (NAFPA), expressed their gratitude on Wednesday in Lagos in an interview with News Agency of Nigeria .

He said that the support from the foundation was a positive development for footballers and coaches who had trained consistently to excel in competitions.

Obieze disclosed that the pre-National Amputee Football Championship ahead of CANAF, supported by the foundation would hold on June 14 at Kaza Pitch of the National Stadium, Lagos, adding that it would involve four teams.

“Our coaches have been living up to their responsibilities on us, encouraging us just to keep our faith alive but no competition to display efforts because individuals and corporate bodies are not forthcoming.

“‘Until nowthat we have this encounter with Yagazie Foundation which promised and responded promptly to our need which is reality of this upcoming competition on Friday. The foundation has done well,’’ he said.

Victor Nwaewe, Coach of the amputee footballers, told NAN that the partnership and support of the foundation came at the right time when footballers were preparing for a continental tournament.

Nwaewe said the development had brought a great relief to footballers and they were eager to exhibit their skills, noting that the competition was necessary to fortify the footballers.

“The National Amputee Championships for the selection of footballers that will make the national team for CANAF is coming up next week so this event will put them in good shape.

“What the foundation did has brought inspiration and encouragement to the amputee footballers and we are very grateful for their  assistance,’’ he said.

NAN reports that the Nigeria Amputee Football Federation (NAFF) will organise a National Championship to kick start preparations for the 5th CANAF tournament holding in Angola in September.

Sport

India expect ‘positive’ verdict on Davis Cup tie against Pakistan

Published

on

India expect ‘positive’ verdict on Davis Cup tie against Pakistan

David Cup

Mumbai, Aug. 21, 2019 The All India Tennis Association (AITA) is hopeful its security concerns for next month’s tie against hosts, Pakistan, will be addressed after the game’s global governing body referred the matter to its Davis Cup committee.

The AITA said last week they had written to International Tennis Federation (ITF) asking them to shift the tie to a neutral venue or to postpone it for a couple of months until tensions simmer down between the bitter neighbours.

The national body was scheduled to discuss its concerns on Monday with security advisers from the ITF over the Sept. 14 to Sept. 15 tie scheduled in Islamabad between arch-rivals India and Pakistan.

The call was, however, cancelled and instead the ITF said the Davis Cup committee, comprising eight members and chaired by Egypt’s Ismal El Shafei, would deliberate on the matter on Wednesday.

AITA General Secretary, Hironmoy Chatterjee said a “positive” decision was expected by Thursday.

“The committee members are from different parts of the world; so, they will set up appropriate time today that suits everyone. Then they will inform us of their decision.

“It’s a positive, yes. If there was no merit why will the committee discuss. We have given them more than enough,” Chatterjee told Reuters on Wednesday.

Earlier this month, Pakistan expelled India’s ambassador and suspended bilateral trade and all public transport links with its neighbour after New Delhi removed “special status” from its portion of the contested region of Kashmir.

The nuclear-armed neighbours have fought two wars over Kashmir since gaining independence from colonial power, Great Britain in 1947.

They came close to a third in February after a deadly attack on Indian police by a Pakistan-based militant group resulted in air strikes by both countries.

The AITA has named a six-member squad under captain Mahesh Bhupathi for the Sept. 14 to Sept.15 tie, but India’s players sought safety guarantees from the ITF before travelling to Islamabad.

The ITF shared security arrangements for the Indian team in Islamabad with the AITA and said they were satisfied with the safety plan.

An Indian tennis team last went to Pakistan in 1964 for a Davis Cup tie, defeating the hosts 4-0, while Pakistan lost 3-2 on their last visit to India in 2006.

Pakistan was forced to host Davis Cup ties at neutral venues for more than a decade as teams refused to travel to the country because of security concerns.

They played their first home tie after a gap of 12 years against Iran in 2017, while Hong Kong was relegated and fined by the ITF after they refused to travel to Pakistan the same year.  (Reuters/NAN)

Continue Reading

Sport

Outrage as Anambra FA stops SS/SE pre-season tournament

Published

on

Condemnation has trailed the decision of Anambra State Football Association (FA) to stop the 2019 pre-season tournament for clubs in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) and other leagues in the South-East and South-South.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the organisers had originally scheduled the tournament to kick off on Tuesday, Aug. 20, at the NEROS Sports Stadium, Nanka, Orumba North Council Area of the Anambra.

According to the fixtures released by the organisers, about 20 clubs, including four from the Nigerian elite division and 15 others from within the South-East and South-South and outside the zone, were to have participated in the tournament.

However, the Anambra FA had late Monday, denied knowledge of the tournament, saying the organisers never contacted the body and described the planned tournament as illegal.

The state FA in a statement by its secretary, Chijioke Onyedika, threatened to sanction any club and their officials under its jurisdiction that violated its directive.

The football association said the organisers’ action was capable of causing breach of public peace, saying it had invited them to explain why disciplinary action should not be taken against them.

The association said: “The FA hereby states that this competition is not known to them, the FA declares this competition as illegal and hereby warns all affiliate clubs from both the state and outside the state to stay away from this competition with immediate effect.

“Any team and technical attachees who participate in this competition shall be seriously dealt with in line with NFF statutes and code of conduct,” it said.

Patrick Nwaogu, chairman of the Main Organising Committee, who confirmed the suspension of the tournament to the NAN, said clubs, especially those in the elite division had called to notify him of their pulling out due to the development.

Nwaogu described the FA’s decision as drastic, saying there were other avenues the body would have remedied the organisers’ oversight.

He, however, said he was waiting for the outcome of the FA board meeting scheduled for Aug. 23 before he would decide what next line of action to pursue.

Football enthusiasts, who acknowledged that the organisers were wrong  to have side stepped the FA, however, noted that the FA’s decision was a little too harsh.

They described the development as a battle of ego, adding that the FA’s decision on the tournament was a colossal damage and a serious set back to development of soccer in Anambra.

Victor Nwangwu, a long time secretary of Anambra FA, said the FA owned and managed football anywhere and should have been duly informed by the South-East and South-South 2019 NPFL pre-season tournament organisers well ahead of time

Nwangwu said a member of the FA should have been part of the Main Organising Committee but blamed the FA for not working to remedy the situation rather than scuttling the entire tournament.

He said the state would lose hugely if the tournament failed to hold or the big teams eventually pull out after the issues would have been sorted out.

“In the matter, the FA should have played the role of father or big brother, but they have taken a decision that comes with colossal damage.

“It was the opportunity for our boys in the street and amateur teams to express themselves before the big teams for possible signings; but that chance is lost, especially if the NPFL teams finally withdraw.

“Twenty teams are supposed to play, 15 of them were likely to lodge in hotels in Anambra occupying not less than 10 rooms each.

“They will eat, there will be boom for businesses, transporters and others, hosting games comes with much benefit and we are at the risk of losing the economic gains.

“It is a pity, the FA did not consider all these before putting up that disclaimer, I just hope they can resolve it,” he said.

Continue Reading

Sport

Youth games: 4 wrestlers to represent Oyo State

Published

on

Continue Reading

Sport

African Games: Table Tennis umpire tip players on podium finish to secure Tokyo 2020 ticket

Published

on

Ranti Lajide, an International Certified Table Tennis umpire, has tipped Nigeria players in the ongoing African Games on podium finishing to secure their places for the 2020 Olympic Games.

Lajide told the Nigeria News Agency on Tuesday that the players were expected to perform creditably well, saying that the games would serve as their qualifier for Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

NAN reports that Toriola Segun, Quadri Aruna, Abiodun Bode, Omotayo Jide and Mati Taiwo would feature in the men’s events, while Oshonaike Funke, Akpan Cecelia, Ojomo Ajoke, and Bello Fatima would compete in the female events.

“Our players must play this games with all commitment and seriousness it requires, especially the females, because the games also serves as Olympic qualifier for 2020; so, we expect they start and finish well.

“I am saying this because following the progress of our female team in recent times and at various championships, there is every need for them to do more to have a podium finish.

“We wish them well, and believe that they will give us quality and credible representation in all events during the games that will secure Nigeria’s place comes 2020 Olympics,” he said.

The umpire urged Nigeria female players to be focussed, and be on the look out for opponents from countries like Egypt, Algeria and Tunisia in the games, saying that they were dreadful.

Akpan Cecelia

According to him, it is high time Nigeria female silenced such opponents, adding they had participated in series of competitions in recent past that should reflect on their games.

“Nigeria females have gannered adequate exposure which I believe they will bring to bear and play up their games this time around,” he added.

NAN reports that Nigeria males are grouped alongside Madagascar and Kenya in Group A; Egypt, Congo, DRC and Eritea (Group B); Congo Brazaville, Mauritius and Angola (Group C), while Algeria, Senegal and Ethiopia are in Group D.

Also, Group E has Togo, Ghana and Djibouti, while South Africa, Tunisia and Morocco are in Group E.

In the females, Group A comprises Egypt, Kenya and Morocco; Group B Nigeria, Uganda and Congo Brazaville, Algeria, Mauritius are in Group C, with the Group D consisting of Tunisia, South Africa and Ethiopia.

NAN reports that two teams from each group will advance to the next stage with winners in the males and females event qualifying for 2020 Olympic Games.

MIL/GOK

Edited by Olagoke Olatoye

Continue Reading

Sport

Gov. AbdulRazaq appoints former KFA administrator, Rivers Utd Coordinator, chairman Kwara Utd 

Published

on

Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara on Tuesday announced the appointment of former Kwara Football Academy Administrator Kunbi Titiloye as the new chairman of Kwara United.

The Governor also dissolved the board of the state football club Kwara United led by Prince Oladimeji Thompson.

He also approved the appointment of Hamidu Olowo (Kwara Central) as the secretary, according to a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Mamman Jibril.

Other members are Bashir Badawi from Kwara South as the General Manager; Yahaya Jibril Usman (Kwara North) as Team Manager; AbdulKadir M. Saheed (Kwara North) as Welfare Officer; Hamid Alege Olarewaju (Kwara Central) as member; and Ajadi B. Ganiyu (Kwara South) as member.

“The appointment of the chairman and members is based on their good track records in football administration and passion for sports development,” the statement added.

It said the appointment of the seven-man board took immediate effect.

Edited by Donald Ugwu

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.