President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday said his administration was tackling the challenges of insecurity in the country with superior strategy, firepower and resolve.
Buhari made this known in his Democracy Day address to the nation in Abuja, and recalled that when his administration assumed office in May, 2015, insecurity reigned in the country.
He said “Apart from occupying 18 local governments in the North-East, Boko Haram could at will attack any city, including the Federal capital.
“It could threaten any institution, including bombing the United Nations building and Police Headquarters in Abuja.
“Admittedly, some of the challenges still remain in kidnappings and banditry in some rural areas.
“The great difference between 2015 and today is that we are meeting these challenges with much greater support to the security forces in terms of money, equipment and improved local intelligence.
“We are meeting these challenges with superior strategy, firepower and resolve.”
The president also recalled that Nigeria had ensured that there was security and peace in Africa, particularly in countries that experienced strife.
According to him, without Nigeria’s influence and resources, the liberation of Angola, Mozambique, Namibia, Zimbabwe and ultimately South Africa would have come at greater cost.
“This fact had been attested by none other than the late Nelson Mandela himself,” he said, adding that Nigeria was “Big Brother” to its neighbours.
“We are the shock-absorber of the West African sub-region, the bulwark of ECOWAS and Lake Chad Basin Commission.
“We can, therefore, be proud to be Nigerians. We must continue to be good neighbours and good global citizens.
“At home, we have been successful in forging a nation from different ethnicities and language groups; our evolution and integration into one nation continue apace.
“When, therefore we came to office in 2015 after a decade of struggle, we identified three cardinal and existential challenges our country faced and made them our campaign focus, namely, security, economy and corruption.
“None but the most partisan will dispute that in the last four years, we have made solid progress in addressing these challenges,” the president said.
Buhari signed June 12 into law on Monday as Democracy Day in honour of late Chief MKO Abiola, the acclaimed winner of June 12, 1993 Presidential Election.
The election was, however, annulled by the then military government head by General Ibrahim Babangida.
The action provoked unrest and struggle for the realization of the mandate, and Abiola, who was later detained in the process, died in July, 1998 while still in Federal Government’s custody.
Police says none of its stations was burnt in Enugu
The Police Command in Enugu State said no police station was burnt in the state as being speculated in the social media.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Ebere Amaraizu, said this in a statement made available to the Nigeria News Agency in Enugu on Sunday.
Amaraizu, however, said that some hoodlums that pretended to come to report a matter in Ikirike Police Station, suddenly attacked the station located within Enugu South Local Government Area at about 8 a.m.
“It was an incident which has to do with attack by some people suspected to be hoodlums, who had come with the pretence of laying complaint in the early hours of today. Under that guise, they attacked our men.
“Although, there was no death among police personnel on duty in the station, but our injured personnel are responding to treatment.
“The quick intervention of reinforcement team as dispatched by the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Sulaiman Balarabe, could not give the hoodlums the opportunity to have the upper hand,’’ he said.
The police spokesman said the commissioner had directed an investigation into the incident with a view to unmasking the culprits.
25 escape death in Anambra auto crashes – FRSC
Mr Ayodele Kumapayi, State Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), who confirmed the incidents, told the Nigeria News Agency that eight persons, however, sustained injuries.
Kumapayi said the Onitsha accident involved two vehicles, a Toyota Lexus car with registration number ABH 178 RC and Toyota Corolla car with registration number FST 555 AJ.
According to him, seven persons including four children were involved in the Onitsha accident, which occurred on the Niger Bridge at about 1:40p.m.
“The Lexus car lost control after trying to overtake a trailer, spinned and hit the second vehicle on the Niger Bridge, but thankfully, no life was lost,” he said.
He added that personnel of the corps responded to the distress call within eight minutes and were able to control traffic on the bridge.
The official said the Awka auto crash was reported at 12:01 p.m. same day at Kwata junction along Awka – Onitsha expressway.
According to him, the lone accident involving 18 passengers in a Toyota black bus with registration number JJT 304 XG was caused by speeding.
He explained that the commercial bus heading to Awka from Onitsha lost control and rammed into the drainage along the expressway, resulting in multiple serious injuries by eight passengers in the vehicle.
Kumapayi, who advised motorists against speeding, said all affected vehicles had been removed from the scene of accident to ensure free flow of traffic.
Amaimo community in Imo earmarks N40m for Divisional Police Headquarters
The Amaimo Community in Ikeduru Local Government area of Imo has earmarked N40 million to build a Divisional Police Headquarters to tackle security challenges in the area.
The President of Amaimo Progressive Forum (APF), Mr Ugochukwu Asiegbu, said this on Sunday at the foundation laying ceremony of the divisional police headquarters.
Asiegbu said that the four traditional rulers that made up the Amaimo clan conceptualised the idea of building the police headquarters and called on the APF for the execution of the project.
He said the traditional rulers donated the parcel of land for the project, while Sen. Samuel Anyanwu secured the plan and approval from the Inspector General of Police.
Mr Asiegbu appealed that all hands should be on deck to ensure timely completion of the project.
The foundation laying ceremony of the project was performed by the Parish Priest of St Columbas Catholic Church, Amaimo, Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Oparaugo, who blessed the project site.
He called on other well-meaning Amaimo sons and daugthers to build entreprenuaral outfits that could provide skills and employment to youths in the area.
CSP Prince Ivrogbo, the Divisional Police Officer in Ikeduru Local Government area, said the divisional police headquarters would boost security and economic development.
He said that improved security in the area would enable economic and social activities to strive, thereby, improving the living standards of living of the people.
Ivrogbo commanded the Inspector General of Police for approving the project.
Mr Eddy Utah, the Chairman of the Planning Committee, thanked traditional rulers for their support and encouragement to make Amaimo clan and its environ secure.
He thanked members of the APF for their loyalty and support, saying that the project was expected to be completed by 2020.
The Chairman, Nigeria Union of Journalists, Comrade Chris Akaraonye, a son of the area, commanded the APF for accepting to drive the project and assured them of his support.
Akaraonye said the project would not only provide security, but also attract industrial development that would translate to employment for the youths in the area.
Four traditional rulers in the area, Eze Godwin Nwaebo (Duru Imo 11 of Amaimo Ancient Kingdom), Eze Dr Peter Njoku (Uri 11 of Umuri Amaimo), Eze Victor Achionye (Eze Udo 1 of Obodo Amaimo) and Eze Collins Onuoha, (Ofor 1 of Umufor Amaimo) were in attendance at the ceremony.
Edited by Tajudeen Atitebi
Operation Crush arrests 25 cultists in Ijora, Mushin and Bariga, recovers firearms
The Lagos State Police Command on Sunday said that Operatives of Operation Crush from the Anti-Cultism Unit, had arrested 25 cultists at Ijora, Mushin and Bariga areas of the state.
This was disclosed in a statement signed by the Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Bala Elkana, and made available to newsmen in Lagos.
Elkana said that one Olaitan Rilwan, male, 20 years old was found at Ijora Round about with an automatic pistol concealed in his bag.
“The suspect confessed to be a member of ‘Aiye’ Confraternity, the DSP said in the statement.
He also said that one Mustapha Oseni, male, 23 years old and 22 others were arrested during a follow-up operation at Bariga by Operatives of Operation Crush.
Elkana added that Operatives from the Anti-Cultism Unit also arrested one Olaitan Rilwan ,male, 20 years old along Gaskiya road in Mushin.
“One locally-made pistol with eight rounds of live cartridges was recovered from him. Investigation is ongoing and all the suspects will be charged to court at the conclusion of the investigations ,” the DSP said.
He also said that the Anti-crime patrol team from Mushin Police Station led by Insp. Atipi Agasa while on patrol along Olorunsogo in Mushin area intercepted two hoodlums.
Elkana said that one Omisogun Mathew ,male, 25 years old and Yetunde Lawson, female, 28 years old were intercepted on a motorcycle.
“On sighting the police team, the hoodlums attempted to escape but were given a hot chase. One locally-made-double ₩-barrel pistol with two live cartridges was recovered from them.
“The suspects belong to a five-man armed robbery syndicate operating in Mushin , Ikotun and Igando areas of Lagos State. The suspects had been transferred to SARS for discreet investigation and will be charged to court after investigations,” he said.
Army deploys new strategy to counter Boko-Haram insurgency
The Nigerian Army on Sunday said it had deployed new strategies to counter resurgence of Boko Haram insurgents’ attacks in some communities in Borno.
Maj.-Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi, the Theater Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, made this known when he led a team of journalists on a visit to Magumeri, Gubio and Benisheik, headquarters of Magumeri, Gubio and Kaga Local Government Areas of the state.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Adeniyi addressed the troops at the 5 Brigade Battalion and interacted with members of Gubio community during the visit.
He dismissed as “misleading’’ reports indicating that the army had withdrawn its personnel from the affected areas which exposed the communities to insurgents’ attacks in recent weeks.
Adeniyi frowned at social media reports on troops’ withdrawal, noting that such misinformation created fear in the society and aided the insurgents’ atrocities.
The commander explained that the army, as part of its new strategy, set up “Super Camp”, shifted trenches and mobilized troops on mobile patrols to counter insurgency as well as protect lives and property in the theatre of operation.
“Nigerians need to understand that the army did not withdraw from Magumeri, Gubio and other locations in Borno and the northeast, as erroneously insinuated.
“The troops are now on mobility operation instead of staying in trenches in one location; the mobile troops would be moving to take the fight to the insurgents, protect roads and communities so that people can go about their normal life without fear.
“The new measure will enable the troops to dominate everywhere; deny the insurgents freedom of movement, enhance rapid response and render assistance to their colleagues when called upon in good time.
“It is true that the insurgents attacked Magumeri and Gubio; there were no loss of lives on troops and civilians, unfortunately a member of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) was killed and six other persons sustained injuries, either from stray bullets, or while trying to escape.
“The insurgents torched some targeted residential homes and public buildings in response to the owners’ allegiance to the government and the nation.
“Markets stores are stock with food items and other essential commodities but they were not looted or destroy by the insurgents.
“Gubio and Maguemri are under full military control, the troops repelled the insurgents’ incursion in the communities and people resumed their normal lives. We will continue to protect and provide necessary security to the people,” Adeniyi said.
He said the army had deployed additional patrol vehicles and equipment to facilitate smooth execution of the war against the insurgents.
While calling on the communities to remain calm and cooperate with the troops, Adeniyi pledged sustain military presence in the areas, just as he called on the troops to be disciplined and dedicated, to ensure total defeat of the insurgents.
Also speaking, Brig. Gen. Sunday Igbinomwanhia, the Garrison Commander, 7 Div., said mobile troops under the Super Camp operation were being deployed on a 24-hour patrol shift at Njimtilo, Auno, Jakana and Benisheikh communities, to ensure safety of the people and motorists plying Maiduguri to Damaturu highway.
Igbinomwanhia, who spoke to newsmen at Benisheikh, dismissed as ‘unfounded’ reports indicating that troops were withdrawn from the communities.
A correspondents who visited Magumeri and Gubio communities, reports that people had resumed their normal lives despite attacks by the insurgents.
Some farmers were seen working in their farmlands, while traders and commercial vehicle operators continued with their businesses.
Mrs Yagana Buba, a resident, said she had earlier fled to Maiduguri on the eve of the attack, but now returned to continue with her business.
“The insurgents pursued me when they attacked but I managed to escape with other people.
“We show greater resilience, the military presence also encourage us to stay; we hope the insurgents will not strike again,” she said.
Kaka Ali, another resident and commercial vehicle operator, said the number of passengers had decreased since the insurgents attacked the communities in the past two weeks.