Connect with us

Judiciary

Alleged kidnapping: lack of legal representation to Evans’ co-defendant stalls trial

Published

on

The trial of alleged kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, alias Evans and five others over alleged kidnapping was stalled at an Ikeja High Court, due to a lack of legal representation for Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu, Evans’ co-defendant.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that during proceedings on Friday, Nwachukwu who is the fifth defendant, informed the court that he was unable to engage the services of a lawyer and that he also did not want to represent himself.

Following the development, Mr Adebayo Haroun, the lead State Prosecuting Counsel, told the court that he was aware that Ms Titilayo Shitta-Bey, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had visited Kirikiri Prisons in respect of legal representation for Evans.

Haroun, however, said he was uncertain whether Shitta-Bey also discussed legal representation with Nwachukwu.

Justice Hakeem Oshodi, therefore, stood-down proceedings to enable the state counsel to telephone Shitta-Bey to confirm if she discussed legal representation with the fifth defendant.

When proceedings resumed, Haroun told the court that the DPP confirmed not discussing legal representation with Nwachukwu.

Reacting, Oshodi said: “the DPP should be informed formally about the provision of a lawyer for the fourth defendant and proof of service should be submitted in court.

“This case is adjourned till Aug. 15 for continuation of trial.”

Evans, is standing trial alongside Uche Amadi, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Chilaka Ifeanyi, Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu and Victor Aduba over the alleged kidnap of the Chief Executive Officer of Maydon Pharmaceutical Ltd., Mr Donatus Dunu.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the six defendants were arraigned on Aug. 30, 2017 on two counts of conspiracy and kidnapping.

The prosecution alleged that the six men kidnapped Dunu and collected 223,000 Euros (N100m) as ransom.

Four witnesses, including Dunu have so far testified in the trial on behalf of the state.

Judiciary

Court sentences applicant to 1 year in prison for damaging AEDC transformer

Published

on

A Kabusa Grade I Area Court on Wednesday sentenced an applicant, Ibrahim Ali, to one year in prison for damaging a transformer belonging to the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company(AEDC).

The Judge, Ibrahim Kagarko, sentenced Ali, after he pleaded guilty to mischief and theft.

Kagarko did not give the convict an option to pay any fine.

Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, Mahmud Lawal, informed the court Mr Effiong Etim, who works with AEDC,  reported the case at the Garki Police station, FCT on Aug. 20.

Lawal told the court that the complainant reported that on Aug.20, Ali removed a transformer panel door from the AEDC facility located at Arochukwu Street, Garki II,

Lawal informed the court that in the course of police investigation, it was discovered that the convict had caused inestimable damage to the transformer.

The convict, he also said, confessed to the crime when interrogated by the police.

The offence, he added, contravened the provisions of sections 327 and 287 of the Penal Code Law.

edited by Sadiya Hamza

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court remands 3 accused persons over alleged armed robbery in Kano

Published

on

A Kano Chief Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday ordered that three accused persons, Namaska Haruna, 25, Wada Ibrahim, 30, and Abdulsalam Ibrahim, 20, be remanded in prison custody over alleged armed robbery.

The defendants, who reside in Kiru Local Government Area of Kano State, are standing trial on a two-count charge of criminal conspiracy and armed robbery, contrary to Section 97 and 398 of the Penal code.

The Chief Magistrate, Muhammad Jibril, ordered the remand of the defendants in prison custody pending legal advice from office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

Jibril adjourned the case until Sept. 5, for further mention.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Insp. Pogu Lale, had told the court that the defendants committed the offence on July 11, at about 2:30 a.m in Kiru local government area.

He alleged that the three defendants and six others now at large, armed themselves with dangerous weapons and stormed the house of 45-year-old Muhammed Kabiru, at Maska Village, threatened to kill or kidnap the victim and in the process robbed him of his valuables.

He listed the dangerous weapon the defendants used to attack their victim to include gun, pistol and sticks.

The prosecutor told he court that the defendants dispossessed their victim of N235,000, 38 pieces of peak milk valued at N47,000, six cartons of Maltina valued at N30,000.

Other properties collected from the victim are four Tecno handset valued N30,000, one radio valued N2,400 and five memory cards valued N7,000.

The defendants, however, denied committing the offence.

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Presidential Election Tribunal reserves judgment

Published

on

The Presidential Election Petition on Wednesday reserved judgement in the petition challenging the election of Muhammadu Buhari as president.

NAN reports that former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and the PDP, are challenging the election of President Buhari.

Buhari was declared the winner of the Feb. 23 presidential election, with over 15 million votes as against Atiku’s 11, 262,978 votes.

details later ………

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Police arraign 2 drivers for allegedly stealing chemicals worth N1.1m

Published

on

The Prosecution Counsel, Sgt. Abdulkareem Mustapha, told the court that the defendants and others  at large, committed the offence on July 20 at the Rock Foundation Logistic Limited, Ota, Ogun.

Mustapha alleged that the defendants being the driver in charge of a lorry with registration number AAA 777XG diverted the company’s chemical material valued N1.1 million to another place.

The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 390 (4(6) (8b) and 516 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ogun,2006.

They, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr Mathew Akinyemi, admitted the defendants to bail in the sum of  N400,000  each with two sureties each in like sum.

He also ordered that the sureties must reside within the court’s jurisdiction and be gainfully employed with evidence of tax payment to the Ogun Government.

Akinyemi adjourned the case until Sept.9 for further hearing.

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Security guard docked for allegedly defiling 10-year-old girl

Published

on

A 33-year-old security guard, Suleiman Mohammed, on Wednesday appeared in a Badagry Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos State, for allegedly defiling a 10-year-old girl.

Mohammed, whose address was not provided, is charged with two counts of rape and threat to life.

The Prosecution Counsel, ASP Akpan Nkem, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on April 27 and Aug. 11, at Awolola Str., Adele Era, Ijanikin area of Lagos.

Nkem alleged that the defendant defiled the minor and threatened to kill her using his charms.

The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 168 and 56 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr Patrick Adekomiya, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N300, 000 with two sureties in like sum.

He adjourned the case until  Sept.16, for hearing.

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.