Bandits commanders in Birnin-Magaji Local Government Area of Zamfara, on Friday agreed to suspend attacks on the people at a dialogue meeting with the state government and security officials.
The bandits also said that the coast is now clear for all those displaced by the attacks to return home.
News Agency of Nigeria reports that the agreement was reached at the palace of the Emir of Birnin-Magaji.
Present at the meeting were the state Commissioner of Police, bandits commanders, leaders of Fulani, Civilian Joint Task Force and local vigilantes known as “Yansakai”.
The meeting, chaired by Police Commissioner Usman Nagogo, was also attended by Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Security Matters, Abubakar Dauran and National leaders of Miyetti-Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN).
The bandits’ commanders at the meeting were: Ardo Nashawari, Audu Karki and Muhammad Bello, while the leaders of civilian JTF and vigilantes were Malam Garba Nasarawa-Godal and Alhaji Shuaibu Aliyu.
Speaking on behalf of the bandits, Nashawari, said with the suspension of the attacks, farmers were now free to return to their farms and other residents free to go about their normal businessess.
Nashawari added, “We believe with this dialogue,the Fulani can now go to markets, they can move freely without any hitch.”
The Civilian JTF leader, Alhaji Shuaibu Aliyu, urged the government to ensure immediate disarming of the bandits.
“On behalf of the entire members of Civilian JTF and Vigilance Group Birnin-Magaji Local Government Area, we commend the state government for this dialogue, we abide by it,” he said.
On his part, the commissioner of police described the meeting as “fruitful” and restated the commitment of the command to rid the state of banditry, kidnapping and other crimes.
“We are impressed with the comments of the warring factions, both of them have accepted the dialogue”, Nagogo said.
The National President of MACBAN, Alhaji Ardo Kiruwa, described the dialogue as “succeeding”, noting that most of the markets that were hitherto closed due to insecurity, have been opened.
“We were told that the Fulani were seen in Shinkafi market yesterday”, he added.
Kiruwa called on the Fulani to cooperate with government and security agencies in order to maintain peace and stability in the state.
Also, Dauran, the special adviser on security, thanked the people of the state for their support and cooperation toward ensuring that the dialogue succeeded.
He cautioned against politicising the state government’s efforts at tackling the security challenges in the state.
“We are aware that some people are using politics to challenge the government’s efforts in this regard”, he noted.
The Emir of Birnin-Magaji, Alhaji Hussaini Maude-Dan’Ali, thanked the state government for initiating the dialogue and urged all parties to adhere to all the agreements reached during the dialogue.
“We are happy with the outcome of this meeting, we are going to continue to support government towards ensuring the success of this dialogue”, the emir said.
4 policemen to face murder charges for extra judicial killings
The Police Command in Lagos State, on Wednesday said that four policemen were to face murder charges for allegedly killing two suspected armed robbers in their custody.
The Police Command’s spokesman, DSP Bala Elkana, told newsmen in Lagos that the policemen had been arrested and subjected to orderly room trial after a video of their alleged action went viral on social media.
“Attention of Lagos State Police Command was drawn to a video on social media showing some Police officers shooting two unarmed suspects who were arrested and already in their custody against the code of professional conduct and laws guiding how suspects in Police custody should be treated.
“The Policemen were identified as Insp. Fabiyi Omomayara, Sgt. Olaniyi Solomon, Sgt. Solomon Sunday and Cpl Aliyu Mukaila attached to Iba Division Patrol team.
“The incident happened on Aug. 8 at 3.00pm, when Iba Police Station received a distress call from one Anugu Valentine that he was attacked by a group of armed men numbering about four on two motorcycles at Ipayi area, Iba and they dispossessed him of one iPhone max valued at N450, 000.
“Acting on the information, the Divisional Police Officer of Iba promptly deployed the Divisional Patrol team to the scene.
“Two of the armed robbers were arrested while two escaped. Two locally made pistols with six life cartridges and five expended cartridges were recovered,” he said.
The PPRO added that the gang was said to be notorious for series of robberies in Iba and environs.
“It was a well celebrated operation by the team as the suspects were gallantly arrested.
“The team however went to the extreme by killing the suspects who were already in their custody instead of taking them to the police station and allowing the normal process of investigation and prosecution to be initiated as stipulated under procedural laws.
“That act of extra judicial killings falls short of police professional standards and cannot be condoned by the Command.
“The Commissioner of Police Lagos State, CP Zubairu Muazu (mni) has ordered a thorough investigation into the incident.
“The police officers are currently being subjected to internal disciplinary proceedings known as `Orderly Room’ trial and if found culpable, they will be dismissed from the Force and will be handed over to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba, for prosecution in the Court.
“Members of the Public will be updated on the outcome of the investigation and trial,” Elkana said.
Take bribe and get the sack -FRSC warns personnel
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has vowed to dismiss from service any of its personnel found extorting motorists.
Corps Public Education Officer, Mr Bisi Kazeem gave the warning in an interview with Nigeria News Agency in Abuja on Wednesday.
Kazeem was reacting to the recent arrest
of 37 FRSC operatives for alleged extortion of motorists on the highways.
NAN reports that a team comprising the FRSC, ICPC and DSS made the arrest ofthe erring personnel recently.
Kazeem, however, said that the magnitude of the penalty would depend on the gravity or weight of the evidence and exhibit against personnel involved in the act.
“We abhor corruptive tendencies.
“There are internal mechanisms, the Corps Marshal Monitoring Unit and Surveillance and Intelligence Unit.
“There is also zonal commanding officers unit of surveillance and monitoring, sector commanders unit, all aimed at checking excesses of marshals.
“The corps marshal felt that reports concerning the issue of extortion is getting alarming and didn’t want to stop at internal mechanism.’’
According to him, this necessitated the collaboration with the ICPC and DSS.
“They deployed technology and made the arrest,’’ he said, adding that the exercise would be sustained in order to rid the corps of bad eggs.
Buratai tasks RSMs to acquire ICT skills
The Chief Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai has charged Regiment Sergeant Majors (RS) in the Nigerian army to acquire skills in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in order to remain relevant.
Buratai gave the charge at the opening of RSM annual convention on Wednesday in Kaduna.
The News Agency report that the theme of the convention in which 306 RSMs are participating was: “Professionalism Through Regimentation in the Nigerian Army.’’
Buratai said: “Nowadays in our regimentation, you must embrace ICT. You must embrace the quest to be digital, and I expect you all to no longer be analogue but digital.’’
He said that was necessary because of the involvement of the army with enemies who had gone digital in operations.
The army chief also urged them to embrace the language learning programme introduced by the army, which had been in existence for long. but not fully implemented.
“But we have so far ensured that this language policy comes alive and we have trained up to 1000 officers and men to learn two of the three major Nigerian languages,’’ he said
“I believe some of you have attended the language learning course. You should take advantage of it and also encourage it in your unit.
“You should also be part of the regimentation in the Nigerian Army,’’ he said.
Buratai said that learning one or two Nigerian languages apart from their own language was one of the ways to ensure integration, unity and espirit de corps.
Earlier, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1 Division, Kaduna, Maj.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya, noted that the RSM occupy important position in the hierarchy of the army.
“RSM are essential link between officers and soldiers cadre,’’ Yahaya said.
Also Gov. Nasir El-Rufia, represented by Mr Samuel Aruwan, the state Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, assured the army and other security agencies in the state of support.
El-Rufia noted that the army and other security agencies had recorded success in the fight against kidnapping, banditry and other crimes in the state, and urged them to remain resolute.
Abia killing: Nigerian Army dismisses killer soldier for prosecution
The 82 Division of the Nigerian Army has dismissed Lance Cpl. Ajayi Johnson, who allegedly killed a commercial motorcyclist, Mr Chimaobi Nwogu, at Umoukereke Ngwa in Obingwa Local Government Area of Abia.
The Deputy Director, Public Relations of the division, Col. Aliyu Yusuf, announced this in a statement issued in Enugu on Wednesday.
Yusuf stated that Johnson had been handed over to the police command in Abia for prosecution.
It would be recalled that the suspect had on Aug. 7, 2019 allegedly shot Nwaogu for reportedly failing to drop N100 at a military checkpoint, killing him on the spot.
The army later arrested him and, according to Yusuf, he was tried in accordance with extant rules and regulations of the Nigerian Army.
Yusuf said that Johnson had been dully charged, tried and reduced to the rank of a private and subsequently dismissed from service.
“He is, hereby, formally handed over to the Nigerian Police Force, Abia state command today Wednesday August 21, 2019 for further necessary action.
“The 82 Division will not condone any act of lawlessness and unprofessional conduct from any of its personnel, and wherever that happens, decisive action will surely be taken against erring personnel,” he further stated.
He stated that the Nigerian Army would continue to discharge its core mandate in protecting lives and property of all Nigerians as provided in the Constitution.
(Edited by Sam Oditah)
Kebbi: Police rescues 3-year-old girl from female Kidnappers
The Police in Kebbi have rescued a three-year-old girl, Saudatu Haruna, from the hands of some female kidnappers.
The state Commissioner of Police, Mr Garba Danjuma told newsmen in Birnin Kebbi on Wednesday that the little girl was abducted since June 28 in Jega local government area of the state.
Danjuma said that two women had been arrested while their accomplices were being tracked.
He gave the names of the suspects arrested as Asiya Abdullahi, 25, and Atika Atiku, 35, both residents of Naima area of Jega.
The suspects were said to have taken the girl from her parent’s house also located in Naima area of Jega.
”When we got the report, the command mobilized Puff Adder personnel and succeeded in rescuing the three-year-old victim from the hands of the kidnappers.
“The suspects have confessed to the crime and they will soon be charged to court,’’ he said.
Danjuma said the command appreciated members of the public for providing useful information to the police for the fight against hoodlums, which helped in keeping the crime wave in the state low.
The commissioner noted that most heinous crimes like kidnapping, armed robbery, homicide, rape and cattle rustling have reduced drastically in the state.
“This command will not relent in our fight against crime and criminality,’’ he stresed.