Connect with us

Foreign

Mozambique strengthens Ebola surveillance at key borders

Published

on

The Mozambican Ministry of Health (MISAU) on Monday said that it was strengthening epidemiological security measures at national borders to detect suspected cases of Ebola and move ahead with early treatment.

Maputo Health Director, Sheila Lobo, said this on the sidelines of the graduation ceremony of students of the Institute of Health Sciences in Maputo.

Castro said that MISAU was setting up Ebola checkpoints on the borders with Malawi and Tanzania, at international flight airports and at national ports.

“We have been screening from temperature measurement for fever, and all suspicious patients have been quarantined and put under observation,” Lobo said.

Lobo added that so far no patients with suspected Ebola have entered the country.

The strengthening of Ebola control measures follows the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), with 1790 deaths notification and 2671 cases since 2018.

“For countries like Mozambique, the risk is considered low, there are no trade restrictions on trade with Congo, but the vulnerability of migration leads us to take precautionary measures,” she said.

In a statement issued by the Mozambican Ministry of Health, the sector is preparing a contingency plan.

“MISAU warns all passengers traveling to or from areas affected by Ebola to strictly comply with basic hygiene measures, to avoid direct contact with blood, feces, vomiting and other body fluids of a patient or suspect of Ebola infection,” the statement says.

The statement also said it was monitoring the evolution of the epidemic in the DRC or possible outbreaks in neighbouring territories.

Ebola is an acute and severe viral disease, characterised by the sudden onset of fever, muscle aches, vomiting, and diarrhea and bleeding in the body orifices. (Xinhua/NAN)

FAT/YEE

Foreign

Top DPRK leader guides test-fire of new weapon again – KCNA

Published

on

Weapon

The report said the national defence scientists, whom Kim praised for having developed the weapon in a “shortest span of time,” showed “a perfect result” in the test-fire and helped boost confidence in this weapon system.

But it did not elaborate what kind of new weapon it was.

Kim stressed the need to keep channelling all-state efforts and render unreserved support to the sacred national defence building “so as to reliably guarantee the sovereignty and security of the country and the happy future of the people,’’ according to KCNA.

He also said the core plan of the ruling Workers’ Party of Korea for defence building is to “possess such a powerful force, strong enough to discourage any forces from daring to provoke us’’.

The DPRK on Friday fired two unidentified short-range projectiles off its east coast into the sea, according to South Korea’s military.

It was the sixth round of launches in recent weeks and happened after the joint military exercises by South Korea and the United States kicked off on Aug. 5.

AIB

Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde

Continue Reading

Foreign

Pakistani PM welcomes UN meeting on Kashmir issue

Published

on

Meeting

The Security Council on Friday held an informal consultation on India-Pakistan question and listened to the briefings given by the UN Secretariat on the situation in Jammu and Kashmir and the work of the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP).

The Council members said they are deeply concerned about the current situation and hope that the relevant parties will exercise restraint and not take unilateral action that will escalate tensions.

They called on both sides to properly resolve the issue through dialogue.

“It is for the first time in over 50 years that the world’s highest diplomatic forum has taken up this issue.

“There are 11 UNSC resolutions, reiterating the Kashmiris right to self-determination,’’ the Pakistani Prime Minister wrote on Twitter.

Pakistan had called for the UN meeting to discuss the situation in Kashmir following the Indian government’s decision on Aug. 5 to revoke the special status of Indian-controlled Kashmir.

After India’s decision, Pakistan in reaction downgraded its diplomatic ties and suspended trade relations and train service with India.

Pakistani Foreign Minister, Shah Mahmood Qureshi, presided over a meeting of a special committee of political parties on Saturday to discuss a joint strategy in the prevailing situation following the Indian government’s decision, the foreign office said.

AIB

Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde

Continue Reading

Foreign

Hong Kong protesters disperse as police march on shopping district

Published

on

Protesters

Protesters have occupied streets and transport hubs in Hong Kong since early June when mass demonstrations began against legislation that put citizens at risk of extradition to China.

As of Sunday, the Asian financial hub will have seen protests for 11 consecutive weeks.

Protesters gathered at the Mong Kok police station in the early evening, but when riot police suddenly emerged, they began to move away and disappeared into crowds of shoppers and bystanders.

The riot police, wielding batons and shields, then marched through Mong Kok district, prompting cafes and restaurants to suddenly pull down their shutters, but clashes never came.

Bystanders, meanwhile, jeered at police from a pedestrian walkway and threw bags of ice onto police vehicles before an officer pointed what appeared to be fire nonlethal bean bag rounds at unarmed citizens.

Earlier, protesters threw eggs and shined laser pointers at a group of officers gathered in front of the building’s entrance – an increasingly common tactic to keep police cameras from filming protesters and identifying them later for arrest.

As protesters shouted obscenities, many police responded in turn.

The standoff followed a peaceful march through Kowloon on Saturday afternoon despite rainfall that saw many protesters express anger at police violence over weeks of demonstration.

“I think it is most important that we have to stop Hong Kong police from using violence.

“As we can see in the last few months, many protesters have gotten shot above their shoulders and this is illegal,’’ protester Yoyo Wong told dpa.

“Hong Kong police should be protecting Hong Kongers, not hurting them.

“That’s why we come out.’’

One older protester, who identified herself as Mrs Lai, said she was there to support young people.

“We fight for freedom,’’ she said.

“We fight for Hong Kong’s next generation.’’

Lai said she was angry police had arrested so many young people.

“I think the Hong Kong government totally ignores the voice of the Hong Kong people,’’ she said.

“If we don’t march, we will lose our freedom.’’

While most of the march was peaceful, as it came to an end, some protesters defaced a number of pro-Beijing symbols as they walked, including throwing eggs at the offices of a pro-China political party and defacing the walls of a major trade union that also has strong links.

The European Union on Saturday urged the Hong Kong police and protesters to use restraint as protests intensify.

“There has recently been a rising number of unacceptable violent incidents, with risks of further violence and instability,’’ EU Foreign Policy Chief, Federica Mogherini, said in a statement.

“It is crucial that restraint is exercised, violence rejected and urgent steps are taken to de-escalate the situation,’’ Mogherini said.

Protests began on June 9 against a now-suspended legislative bill that would have allowed for criminal extradition to mainland China.

AIB

Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde

Continue Reading

Foreign

Italy says six EU states will take in Open Arms migrants

Published

on

Migrants

The migrants have been stranded on the Spanish charity ship ‘Open Arms’ since it picked them up off Libya in early August, and Rome’s far-right Interior Minister, Matteo Salvini, refused to allow them to disembark.

“The migrants will be shared out among France, Germany, Romania, Portugal, Spain and Luxembourg,’’ Conte said in an open letter to Salvini, in which he accused the minister of disloyalty and being “obsessed” with closing Italy’s ports to migrants.

The Open Arms, operated by a Spanish charity of the same name, was in Italian territorial waters on Thursday, a day after a Rome administrative court gave it leave to enter them, countermanding Salvini’s ban.

Before Conte’s announcement, Spain said it was working with other EU states and the European Commission to find a “common… and orderly solution’’, and was willing to “participate in a balanced distribution of migrants on board the ship’’.

French and German officials confirmed talks were underway to resolve this latest in a series of flashpoints over immigration involving Italy and one that has fuelled infighting in a coalition government in Rome that is close to collapse.

Salvini, who heads the League party that forms part of the coalition, issued an emergency order to prevent Open Arms arriving at the Italian island of Lampedusa. But the Defence Minister, who is from the League’s partner party 5-Star, refused to countersign it.

Openly challenging the League leader, who has so far dictated Italy’s immigration policy, Elisabetta Trenta said defying the court was illegal and that “politics must not lose its humanity’’.

The League and the anti-establishment 5-Star Movement were already in open conflict after Salvini said last week the alliance had become unworkable and called for elections.

The League has tabled a motion of no-confidence in the government, and the premier Conte, a former academic, who is not from either ruling party, vented his anger in his open letter to Salvini.

He accused the far-right leader of “disloyal collaboration” by misrepresenting Conte’s own position, and of exploiting the issue of immigration for electoral gain rather than seeking necessary solutions with Italy’s partners.

Hollywood star Richard Gere visited the Open Arms last week and urged the Italian government to stop “demonising people” and allow the boat to disembark.

The charity’s spokeswoman said the ship was anchored five miles (eight kilometres) off Lampedusa.

Spanish public broadcaster TVE, who are present on the Open Arms, interviewed a migrant, who said they would only really rejoice once they will have reached the shore.

“We need to touch the ground, life is over there, here it’s death,’’ said the woman, whom TVE did not name.

AIB

Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde

Continue Reading

Foreign

Arsenal open season with two straight wins after beating Burnley

Published

on

League

Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored as the Gunners won their opening two matches for the first time in 10 years.

Lacazette and Ashley Barnes traded first-half goals before Aubameyang scored a 64th-minute winner.

AIB

Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.