Connect with us

Defence/Security

EFCC arrests 29 suspected internet fraudsters in Oyo

Published

on

Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Ibadan zonal office, Oyo State, on Wednesday, arrested 29 men suspected to be internet fraudsters.

This was contained in a statement signed by the commission’s Spokesperson, Tony Orilade and made available to newsmen in Ibadan.

The EFCC said the suspects were arrested at Akoto Estate, Elebu area in Ibadan during an early morning raid carried out by operatives of the commission.

It said the team of the commission had earlier conducted series of surveillance and worked on strings of intelligence gathered on  activities of the  suspects.

The EFCC said preliminary investigations conducted was found to be credible, leading to the sting operation.

Among the items recovered from the suspects were eight exotic cars, many costly phones, laptops and documents suspected to be used for their alleged illicit dealings.

The commission said the suspects would be charged to court as soon as investigations were concluded.

Defence/Security

Army officers’ combat proficiency competition begins Aug. 19 in Benin

Published

on

The 4 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Benin says its forthcoming inter-brigade combat proficiency competition is to prepare junior army commanders for higher responsibilities.

Capt. Mohammed Maidawa, Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, said this in a statement made available to the Nigeria News Agency on Saturday in Benin.

According to Maidawa, the competition, billed to hold between Aug 19 and Aug. 23, will improve officers’ leadership qualities as well as challenge their initiatives.

He explained that the event, which would be competed among formations and units under the 2 Division, would be hosted by the Brigade.

Maidawa said that the competition would include physical fitness, skills-at-arms shooting as well as combat swimming.

He further explained that the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 2 Division, Maj.-Gen Anthony Omozoje, would be the special guest of honour at the opening of the competition.

Maidawa said that the event would take place at the Army Cantonment, Ekehuan from 8.30 am. daily.

While urging residents of the area not to panic on seeing heavy movement of troops, he, however, advised them to stay away from the cantonment shooting range.

Edited by Taiye Agbaje and ‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Insecurity: MACBAN begins tour of Fulani settlements in Enugu

Published

on

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders’ Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) says it has begun the sensitisation of its members in the 14 Fulani settlements in Enugu State, in order to check infiltrators.

The South-East Chairman of MACBAN, Alhaji Gidado Siddiki, disclosed this in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency on Saturday in Enugu.

Siddiki said that the sensitisation tour had also taken them to the cattle and perishable goods markets in the state.

He said that it had become necessary for the Fulani community to be sensitive to their environment in order not to jeopardise their peaceful co-existence with members of their host communities.

He said that the incidences of the past few months in some parts of the state informed their resolve to be more security conscious and report strange happenings around them to security agencies.

“Everybody is happy with the step we have taken. This is to show that we are not happy with what is happening in the state. We are seriously worried,” he said.

Siddiki said that members of the Fulani community in the state had been appreciative of the move by MACBAN which was aimed at ensuring that the situation did not get out of hand.

“We have so far visited four out of the 14 Fulani settlements in Enugu. We have also gone to all the cattle and perishable goods markets in the state.

“We have sensitised our members on the need to ensure peaceful coexistence with members of their host communities. We need to respect them and their culture,” he said.

He said that members of the Fulani community in the state had become more mindful of their immediate environment and were ready to expose infiltrators whenever they were noticed in their midst.

“We will not allow infiltrators to destroy the good relationship we have built and maintained with our hosts over the years.

“We have told our people to voice out anytime they notice something strange around them.

“They should report such to any Fulani leader who will, in turn, report to the appropriate quarters or security agencies,” he said.

Siddiki said that the sensitisation tour would continue in the coming days.

NAN recalls that the state had, of recent, witnessed some security challenges, culminating in the killing of two Catholic priests, Rev. Fr. Paul Offu and Rev. Fr. Clement Ugwu on March 14 and Aug. 1 respectively.

NAN also recalls that the traditional ruler of Obom-Agbogugu, Igwe Sunday Orji and his wife were kidnapped on Aug. 3 on the Enugu-Port-Harcourt expressway.

Also, the state Police Commissioner, Mr Suleiman Balarabe, had on Aug. 16 paraded the suspected killers of the priests, whose names he gave as Ibrahim Adamu and Idris Tobe.

Edited by Saidu Adamu and ‘Wale Sadeeq

 

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

FIFA ban: Siasia says legal team preparing his defence, urges for calm

Published

on

Former Super Eagles coach Samson Siasia on Saturday appealed for calm over news of his life ban from the game by world football governing body FIFA on Friday.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that Siasia was banned for life from the game following a match-fixing probe by FIFA.

Siasia, who spoke to newsmen in Abuja through an associate, Prince Opukiri Jones-Ere at the main bowl of the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, said the matter was currently being looked into by his lawyer.

The former Super Eagles forward said he was hopeful of a positive conclusion of the matter.

“We want to please plead with everyone to be  calm as the issue has been handed over to a lawyer and he is looking at the case.

“So, at this moment, Siasia will be unavailable to speak to the press.

“I want to also appeal to you all to be patient with us, considering the fact that he is already going through so much stress with regards to his mother’s kidnap which we are dealing with at the moment.

“We appreciate you all for your concerns and solidarity messages which have been received from the onset of this situation.

“So, my kind appeal is that you all give us some time for the lawyer to look into the case and as soon as possible, hopefully by next week, we will come up with our position and further action to be taken on the issue.

“”On behalf of the family of Siasia, we want to once again thank you for your concerns and we pray that this will end well,” he said.

FIFA had said in a statement on Friday that the adjudicatory chamber of their independent Ethics Committee found the 51-year-old Siasia guilty.

He was “guilty of having accepted that he will receive bribes in relation to  manipulation of matches in violation of FIFA Code of Ethics.”

Siasia played 51 times as a striker for the Nigerian national team and later coached various national youth sides before his first spell as senior coach in 2010.

His case is the latest to emerge from FIFA’s long-running investigation into the activities of Singaporean Wilson Raj Perumal, whom FIFA has called a “known match fixer”.

He has admitted such activity in several interviews.

FIFA said Siasia was banned for life “from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) at both national and international levels.”

Siasia was also fined CHF 50,000 (41,997.1 pounds).

The former Nigerian international was appointed Super Eagles head coach from 2010 to Oct. 2011 and he was reappointed in 2016.

NAN reports that FIFA had in 1989 banned Nigeria for two years from age-grade football competitions over discrepancies discovered in the ages provided by the duo of Siasia and Dahiru Sadi.

The ages were provided while registering both players for the 1985 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in the then Soviet Union and the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea.

(Edited by Chioma Ugboma and Olawale Alabi)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Army university tasks Borno govt on road rehabilitation

Published

on

The Nigeria Army University, Biu, has called on the Borno government to rehabilitate the road linking Abogo Largema Barracks, Biu, to the main road to ease the movement of motorists in the area.

Prof. David Malgwi, Vice-Chancellor of the University, made the appeal on Saturday during the inauguration of a two kilometre road connecting the student’s Hostel to the second gate of the Barracks.

He said the road would ease the movement of students, staff and to improve the socioeconomic development of the community.

“I seize this opportunity to request for the urgent intervention of the Executive Governor of Borno State through the Chairman Biu Local Government as well as his counterparts of Kwaya kusar, Bayo and Hawul LGAs to graciously assist the university in the rehabilitation of the road linking this gate through Birma Jikwal and Galdimare to the main road,” he said.

He observed that the road would not only assist the staff and students but bring development to the Barrack and the communities.

Col. Rames Gwon (retired), Director physical planning, said the inaugurated road have undergone a lot of engineering works, which included an excavation of up to six meters deep before putting another sand and the inter-locks.

He said the project, which had concrete culverts was purely sponsored by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai through direct labour.

He assured the people that the road would last for up to 50 years before any maintenance work would take place.

In his remarks, Ali Dikwa, LG Chairman of Biu assured of government’s readiness to rehabilitate the road as requested.

He said the council will soon do something to make the road passable for vehicles.

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Flood renders many homeless, submerges houses in Niger

Published

on

Several houses have been submerged and many people rendered homeless following flood from rainfall in the early hours of Saturday in Minna township, Niger.

Alhaji Ahmed Inga, Director General of the state Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) disclosed this to newsmen in Minna on Saturday.

He said that the alleged death of three persons was yet to be confirmed as assessment was still ongoing by officials.

He noted that 75 per cent of the flood disaster was caused by indiscriminate refuse disposal and building of houses on waterways in the affected areas.

“Right now, an unconfirmed report noted that three persons died during the flood.

“However, we are yet to ascertain the number of displaced persons affected because our men are still going around carrying out assessment.

“We have been giving warnings for people to seek professional advice before building, but unfortunately, people don’t adhere to the warnings until disaster happens,” he said.

Inga debunked allegation that the flood was caused by spillage of water from Bosso Dam, saying that the flooding was as a result of high intensity of rainfall.

Also, Alhaji Ahmed Ketso, Acting Governor of the state, who visited the affected areas to sympathies with the victims, said that government was making efforts to construct drainage within Minna township to avoid floodings.

He appealed to people to see the flood as natural disaster, adding that government would intervene with immediate effect to cushion the effect of the flood on victims.

Ketso directed the state Ministry of Environment to commence sensitisation for people to desist from dumping refuse and building of structures on waterways.

Malam Abubakar Mohammed, a resident of Mypa Junction in Bosso Local Government, told NAN that he saw a woman being flown by flood and was calling for help.

“At around 4:00 a.m when we started seeing the flood, I came outside and I saw a woman being carried away by the flood calling for help, but unfortunately I couldn’t help her because of the volume of the water.

“I looked across and I noticed that the bridge on Okada to Mypa road had collapsed, when I came close, I saw a crocodile, maybe it was flown from Bosso dam,” he said.

He appealed to the government to reconstruct the collapsed bridge with immediate effect to ease movement of people.

Similarly, Malam Adamu Rijau, a resident of Bosso Estate, who noted that most of the affected houses in the area were built on waterways, called on government to step in and stop all lands allocation on waterways.

Also, Alhaji Inuwa Bawa, Ward Head of Dutsen Kura Hausa, disclosed that seven houses were completely washed away in the area.

He called on the government to intervene and construct concrete drainage in the area to avoid reoccurrence.

Malam Sanusi Mohammed, resident of Dutsen Kura Hausa, said  the area experienced flooding every year, adding that the previous administration had promised to intervene, but nothing had been done.

NAN report that among areas affected were Mypa road, Bosso Estate, Shaun Village, Okada road and Dusten Kura Hausa in Bosso and Chanchaga Local Government Areas of the state.

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.