No fewer than 2,000 personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in Oyo State have been deployed to beef up security in the state ahead of the Eid-el-Kabir celebration.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, Mr Olusegun Oluwole, said this in a statement on Wednesday in Ibadan.
Oluwole said that the personnel were deployed to places of worship, recreational centres, highways and markets across the 33 Local Governments and 35 Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) in the state.
He said that the state commandant, Iskilu Akinsanya, also called on the Anti-vandals Unit and squads to intensify their activities on pipeline right of way.
“The Disaster Management Unit with their ambulance has been deployed to highways for prevention and rescue while the Counter Terrorist Unit has been deployed to prayer grounds and worship centres.
“The intelligence and Investigation Unit have been deployed to flash points, recreation centers and motor parks to monitor the activities of criminals who may want to use the occasion to commit crime or foment trouble.
“The Armed Squad has been placed on red alert to tackle any act that may undermine the security and peace of Oyo State and its citizens,” Oluwole said.
He called on Muslim faithful to be law abiding during the celebration, saying they must always remember the importance of unity, tranquility and religious tolerance in the promotion, growth and development of the country.
Oluwole also appealed to parents and guardians to monitor the activities of their children and wards.
He enjoined the public to provide information to NSCDC and other sister agencies whenever they notice any strange movement around them.
Police arrest 5 over scavengers, area boys clash in Lagos
Lagos State Police Command has arrested five suspects involved in a clash between area boys and scavengers at Oke-Odo Market.
The Command’s Spokesperson, DSP Bala Elkana, said in a statement on Sunday, that the clash was triggered by a misunderstanding when a scavenger reportedly pushed an area boy, who had goods on his head, by mistake.
Elkanah said: “On Aug. 18, at 10.00 a.m., one Alh. Adekunle Habib, of Ilepo market, reported at Oke Ode Police Station that there was a misunderstanding between a Hausa scavenger and an area boy from the Yoruba ethnic group.
“The area boy was carrying some goods on his head and was pushed by the Hausa boy in error and the goods fell down. Arguments ensued between the two which led to exchange of blows.
“Friends of the two joined the fight in solidarity and other miscreants took advantage of the moment to steal and loot.
“Police teams from Oke-Odo Division were the initial responders. The command sent reinforcements from the Operations Department, Rapid Response Squad, Taskforce, Tactical Units and Police Mobile Force.
“Divisions within the area command equally sent reinforcements, the situation was brought under control and traffic was cleared.
“No death was recorded, but four persons sustained various degrees of injuries and are currently receiving medical attention.
“Five suspects namely, Kabiru Mohammed, Kabiru Adamu, Bashiru Mohammed, Saliu Madu and Yusuf Amuda, were arrested in connection with the breach of peace.” he said.
Elkana added that normalcy had been restored and patrols were ongoing in the affected areas, while the suspects would be charged to Court.
Security: Police, NSCDC solicit public support
A Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in Nasarawa State, SP Ahmed Lafiya, has solicited for public support and cooperation in crime prevention and control in the state.
He made the appeal on Sunday in Karshi at the closing of a three-day training organised by the Nasarawa State chapter of Man O’ War Nigeria for uniformed volunteer organisations in the state.
Lafiya, who is the DPO of Uke division, said providing security was a collective responsibility, noting that there is very little security agencies can do without public support and cooperation.
Represented by DSP Lapshak Lenka, the DPO said citizens were key stakeholders especially in the area of provision of information about criminal activities in their surroundings.
“Policing is a collective responsibility, and that is why we take advantage of platforms like this to sensitise the public on their role,” he said.
The DPO enjoined citizens to trust the police with information, assuring that their security and anonymity remained guaranteed.
On his part, Mr Yohanna Amana, an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), said all hands must be on deck to ensure peace and security in the society.
Amana, who is the NSCDC Head of Operations in Karshi Division, advised youths to respect constituted authority and engage in meaningful ventures in order to become self reliant.
He also stressed the need for synergy between Man O’ War and security agencies especially in the area of information sharing to curtail crime and in the society.
Earlier, Mr Joel Attah, the Nasarawa State Commander of Man O’ War, said the programme was organised to promote community security and policing in the state.
He said the focus on the young people was informed by statistics which showed that 50 per cent of crimes committed in the country were by the youth.
“That is why we organised this training to educate the participants, who are mostly young people, on community policing.
“This is our little way of assisting government in its efforts to redirect the attention and energies of young people to productive ventures,” he said.
The commander urged the participants to take advantage of the “golden opportunity” and put into practice what they learnt at the training.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that members of the Man O’ War, Boys Scout and the Food Hygiene Initiative of Nigeria participated in the training.
Police arrest 8 suspected cult members during initiation
The operatives of Operation Crush attached to the Lagos State Police Command have arrested eight suspected cultists during their initiation into ‘One Million Boys’ cult group.
The Lagos State Police Command’s spokesperson, DSP Bala Elkana, said that various dangerous weapons and assorted charms were recovered from the suspects in a press statement on Sunday.
He said, “On Aug. 15 at about 7: 30 p.m., operatives of Operation Crush from Ilemba Hausa Police Station led by the Divisional Police Officer, CSP Kazeem Abonde, and acting on credible Intelligence, arrested eight suspected members of ‘One Million Boys’ confraternity during their initiation.
“The suspects were arrested at No.15, Alado St., Shibiri in Ojo Local Government Area of Lagos State where they were being initiated into the cult by one Yusuf Abu; 20.
“Those arrested are: Sunday Gabriel, 20, Rilwan Dauda, 18, Mohammed Sikiru, 23, Oladimeji Abayomi, 18, Rasheed Alabi, 20, Habeeb Idowu, 18, Olaiya Bisola, 18, and Hazzan Hawawu, 19.
“Three sharp cutlasses, a fetish calabash with dangerous substances suspected to be ‘ Juju’ and weeds suspected to be Indian hemp were recovered from them”, he said.
Also, the police had arrested a traffic-robbery suspect, Taofeek Oladiran, at Mushin and recovered firearms from him.
Elkana said that the suspect was arrested by a patrol team policemen attached to the Mushin Police Division.
“On Aug. 16 at about 10:22p.m. , the Anti-crime patrol team from Mushin Police Station led by Insp. Dada Akawu intercepted one Honda motorcycle with registration number AKM 300 VJ, red in colour along Ogunmokun Street in Mushin.
“The motorcycle was conveying four persons reasonably suspected to be members of a gang of armed robbers terrorising Mushin and its environ.
“The gang mostly operates on motorcycles for easy access to escape routes after their operations. The gang was responsible for a series of robberies reported in the area with the same mode of operation.
“They used to take advantage of the traffic situations to dispossess unsuspecting members of the public of their valuables such as handsets, laptops, bags and money.
“The rider refused to stop and was given a hot chase by the patrol team.
“The leader of the gang known as Taofeek Oladiran, 26, was arrested while others escaped through different directions into the crowded areas along Akala and Idi-oro.
“The motorcycle was recovered. One bag containing a locally-made pistol, one expended cartridge, eleven live cartridges, a jacket decorated with charms were recovered from them.
“The suspects at large are identified as: Afeez ‘m’ Micheal ‘m’ and Tolu ‘m’.
“The operatives of the Special Anti p-Robbery Squad (SARS) have taken over the case and had launched a manhunt for the three fleeing suspects. Investigation is still ongoing”, he said.
Pan-Igbo group urges German Govt. to fish out attackers of Ekweremadu
The Ndigbo Unity Forum (NUF), a pan-Igbo socio-cultural and political group, on Sunday urged the German Government and its law enforcement agencies to fish out those who attacked Sen. Ike Ekweremadu.
The Nigeria News Agency recalls that Ekweremadu, a former Deputy Senate President of Nigeria was reportedly attacked by some members of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in Nuremberg, Germany on Saturday.
The President of NUF, Mr Augustine Chukuwudum, told NAN in Enugu that the furious attack on the distinguished senator was uncivilized and barbaric in nature.
“NUF condemns attack on Sen. Ike Ekweremadu in Germany by members of IPOB.
“What has he done wrong that they wanted to kill him.
“Ekweremadu is one of the highly placed Igbo politician who has been speaking for the betterment of Ndigbo in the National Assembly and at a national level for the past 12 years.
“The senator remains the only Igbo politician who has done well for Ndigbo and that is why we are asking the question, what has he done wrong that IPOB wants to kill him,’’ Chukwudum said.
The NUF boss said: “they must be brought to book and be punished according to the law.
“We also call on the Federal Government to provide adequate security for him even while he is in the country’’.
Insecurity: We will extend sensitisation to other Southeast states-Miyetti Allah
The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), South East zone says it will extend the shutdown of cattle markets and settlement in other states in the zone in the bid to purge itself of the violent elements.
It would be recalled that Miyetti Allah in collaboration of Northern Elders in Enugu shutdown operations in cattle market and settlements for two days to sensitise its members against violence.
Siddiki said the action was neither a threat nor protest but an attempt to address the numerous accusation on Fulani Herdsmen over their involvement in crime and rape in the area from within.
He said the Enugu shutdown was successful as a number of persons among them who did not have business with herding or other legitimate activities had been asked to leave their fold.
“We shutdown livestock and perishable good markets to enable us sensitise our members on the need for peaceful coexistence, that they should be watchful to know when bad people infiltrate their midst and to chase them.
“We have told them to belong to a group, those selling cattle, those selling goats, those carrying goods; everybody has to be identified by the leader of their group, even in the Fulani settlement, people has to be known with their families.
“If there are people in these places who don’t have business, we are telling them to leave Enugu and the entire Southeast because we want to know those who are among us, so it is an internal audit,” he said.
Siddiki, who is also the leader of Fulani community in Anambra, commiserated with families of those who lost their loved ones in recent violent attack in Enugu and expressed the commitment of his members to ensuring that there was recurrence.
He said it had been observed that most of the troubles were caused by migrant herders while calling on his members to stop migrating from state to state within the Southeast.
He the sensitisation would continue to the local government level of Enugu after which they would move to other states.
“The exercise is to show the indigenes, our hosts in the Southeast that we are so worried by the complaints and accusations of violence and crime which is pointing at us.
“We want to condole the families of those that lost their loved ones; we want to assure them that we are worried about the development.
“We started with Enugu as the regional head of Southeast but we are going into other states of Abia, Ebonyi, Anambra and Imo to ensure that the message gets to our members everywhere already, our members in these states are waiting for us.
“We have identified that those causing problems among the Fulani are the migrants; that is why we are saying that migration should stop, people should stay where they are and graze their cattle,” he said.
Edited by Maureen Atuonwu