Connect with us

Defence/Security

Killing of Police: Buhari orders Army HQ to investigate incident

Published

on

Investigation

By Ismaila Chafe

Abuja, Aug. 8, 2019 President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Defence Headquarters to commence immediate investigation of incident involving the troops of 93 Battalion, Takum, Taraba, which resulted to the death of three police officers and a civilian.

The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, disclosed this when he briefed State House correspondents at the end of the meeting of the National Security Council, presided by President Buhari at the State House, Abuja.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the Army and Police authorities had on Wednesday constituted a Joint Investigation Panel to investigate the incident.

Col. Sagir Musa, Acting Director of Army Public Relations, in a statement on Wednesday, said the panel would be headed by the Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of Criminal Investigation Department, DIG Mike Ogbizi.

Musa said that the panel would jointly investigate and report on the true circumstances surrounding the unfortunate incidence in order to avert future occurrences.

However, the Chief of Air Marshal said: “The council also decided that the unfortunate incidents in Taraba State in Ibi, a committee will be setup under the Defence Headquarters to critically look into the circumstances that led to the unfortunate incident.’’

Abubakar also revealed that the council evaluated the current strategy of managing internal security operations across the country.

According to him, the council expressed satisfaction with the current efforts aimed at restoring law and order in the country.

“We are making substantial progress in all the areas of conflicts,’’ he said.

On the issue of using technology and drones to fight crimes as earlier pledged to the south-west leaders by the President, Abubakar said technology would continue to play a very critical role in resolving security challenges in the country.

“All the services are using one technology or the other in order to ensure that our country is secured.

“So, security will continue to play a role and we are also looking at other areas of technology that are not currently in use to ensure that we put together all that is required to ensure the security of Nigeria and Nigerians,’’ he added.

The chief of air staff also reassured Nigerians that the armed forces of Nigeria and other security agencies would continue to work to ensure the security of Nigerians and to also ensure that no individual or group of individuals undermine the territorial integrity of country.

NAN reports that the Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Frank Mba, had earlier issued a statement that the Police Operatives, led by ASP Felix Adolije of the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) reportedly came under sudden attack by soldiers along Ibi–Jalingo Road.

Mba said that the operatives, who were taking the arrested suspect, Alhaji Hamisu to the Command Headquarters in Jalingo, were shot at severally by the soldiers in spite of sufficient proof that they are Police personnel on legitimate duty.

He said that three Policemen comprising one Inspector and two Sergeants and one civilian died as a result of gunshot injuries sustained in the attack while others sustained serious gunshot wounds.

According to him, the soldiers thereafter released the handcuffed suspect, Alhaji Hamisu, who is now on the run.

edited by Sadiya Hamza

Defence/Security

FG charges Correctional Service to de-radicalise youths roaming streets

Published

on

 The Federal Government has directed the Nigerian Correctional Service to seek synergy with relevant Government Agencies, Non- Governmental Organisations and Civil Society Organisations with a view to de-radicalising Nigerian youths roaming the streets.

Mr Mohammed Manga, Director Press and Public Relations of the Ministry of Interior,  made this known in a statement on Friday in Abuja.

He quoted the new Minister of Interior, Alhaji Rauf Aregbesola as giving the directive when he visited the Nigerian Correctional Service in Abuja.

The minister urged the officers of the Service, to support the Federal Government in its efforts to ensure a safe and secured environment for Nigerians.

Aregbesola said that he believed the officers and men of the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCS) would be at the vanguard of championing the good intention of President Muhammadu Buhari.

He noted that the President had helped in reforming the old law of the Nigeria Prisons Service to the new Nigeria Correctional Service.

The minister said this was in a bid to reduce recidivism (reoffend) among those who were being taken to the correctional centres.

“We will support you to reduce to a large extent, those who are coming under your care from going back to crime,” he said.

The Minister said the rehabilitation and readjustment should be the focus of the Nigeria Correctional Service in the country.

Aregbesola enjoined staffers of the Ministry and all it agencies to ensure compliance to the SET (Security, Economy and Transparency) agenda of the Buharis’ administration, in order to achieve the mandate of the ministry which is security of Nigerians.

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Mrs Georgina Ehuriah, described Aregbesola as a committed leader who would  never give up, until he achieved results.

She called on all the agencies under the Ministry to support the drive of the Minister to move the Interior  Ministry and its agencies to the next level.

The Controller-General, Nigeria Correctional Service, Ja’Afaru Ahmed, disclosed that the Service had over 250 centres across Nigeria with some becoming dilapidated, having been built for over a century.

He commended the Federal Government, under the leadership of President Buhari for giving some of the centres a facelift.

‘We were neglected for years, but with President Muhammadu Buhari, we have started witnessing the upgrading of our formations across Nigeria,’ Ja’Afaru said.

ORD/AFA

Edited by Felix Ajide

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Interior minister promises adequate funding for fire service

Published

on

The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola has promised to provide adequate funding to the Federal Fire Service (FFS).

Aregbesola said this during a familiarisation visit to the FFS on Friday in Abuja.

He said that he had been briefed on some of the challenges faced by the agency and was ready to eradicate those shortcomings.

“I am aware releases are not adequate and you already have some committed expenditure you cannot fund,” he said.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that FFS had seek special intervention of President Muhammadu Buhari for funds of the sum of N9.20 billion to ensure the delivery of the remaining 32 firefighting equipment.

Aregbesola promised to attend to the immediate needs of the service by providing adequate support to the agency’s growth.

“We will ensure we get you to the operations of the best fire service in the world,” he said.

He however reiterated that the agency’s role of ensuring the safety of lives and properties was of paramount importance.

The minister said that it was important to enforce preventive strategies by being proactive.

Mr Liman Ibrahim, Controller General (CG), FFS, said that he was grateful the Minister had promised to tackle the challenges faced by the service.

Ibrahim said that the agency has 32 already manufactured fire fighting trucks in Austria and Turkey but were yet to be delivered by the contractor due to inadequate funds.

He said that the earlier 12 newly acquired fire fighting trucks had not been delivered because operators and drivers of the vehicles were undergoing training.

“By Sunday, 25th August, 2019, these vehicles will be moved to various zones across the country,” he said.

NAN reports that 2 vehicles will be allocated each to the newly established 6 zonal fire service stations: Minna, Sokoto, Yola, Owerri, Asaba and Osogbo.

ICA/IS

Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Combat Proficiency Competition: 4 Brigade lifts trophy, 2 Div Garrison receives wooden spoon

Published

on

The Nigeran Army’s 4 Brigade,  Benin, has emerged overall winner with 450 marks to lift the golden trophy at the just concluded 2019 2 Division Combat Proficiency Competition held in Benin.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that 4 Brigade was closely followed by 32 Artillery Brigade, Akure with an overall score of 440 marks, while 2 Division Garrison Brigade with the element of 81 Battalion Ibadan received a wooden spoon.

NAN reports that it is customary in military competitions for the wooden spoon to be presented as a token to any formation or participant that emerges last.

Col. Darnumar Suleiman, who served as the Chief Judge during the week long event, announced 2 Division Garrison Brigade with the element of 81 Battalion Ibadan, as coming last with an overall score of 360 marks in the five activities competed for.

42 Engineering Brigade with the element of Engineering Commad, Ede, and 52 Signal Brigade emerged 3rd with an overall score of 390 marks while the 22 Brigade, Ilorin emerged 4th.I

In his closing remarks, Maj.,-Gen. Anthony Omozoje , General Officer Commanding (GOC), 2 Division, Ibadan urged the participants to take back to their various units and formations the knowledge gained from the competition.

Omozoje, represented by Brig.,-Gen. Soji Ogunsugba, the Training Officer, 2 Division also said that he expects the participants to effectively utilise the experiences gained when they return at their formations.

He asured the participants that the Division would continue to give priority to training and retraining of officers and men, adding that the identified lapses during the 2019 competition would be corrected.

NAN reports that the formations under the 2 Division that participated in the the competition included 4 Brigade, Benin, the 22 Brigade, Ilorin; and 32 Artillery Brigade, Akure.

Others are 42 Engineering Brigade with the element of Engineering Commad, Ede, and 52 Signal Brigade as well as 2 Division Garrison Brigade with the element of 81 Battalion all in Ibadan.

Some of the events competed in include physical fitness, map reading and navigation, preparation and description of sketch, skills at arms shooting as well as combat swimming and minor tactics.

Edited by Bayo Sekoni

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Security: Enugu CP assures partnership with NIS

Published

on

Enugu State Commissioner of Police, Mr Sulaiman Balarabe, has assured of his command’s continual partnership with Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) in reducing crime in the state.

Sulaiman gave the assurance on Friday when the new Comptroller of NIS Enugu State Command, Mr Emmanuel Arogundade together with key officers of the command, paid him a courtesy visit in Enugu.

The commissioner noted that the partnership would be nip crime in the bud in the state, adding that immigration and police are partners in progress.

“I am assuring you people of the police command readiness to support immigration service at all times to achieve on their mandates in the state,’’ he said.

Earlier, Arogundade applauded the quality of the relationship between the immigration and police in the state.

The comptroller said  he came to register his arrival in the state and to solicit for the police continual cooperation in order to succeed in his mandate.

He lauded Sulaiman on some achievements of his Command so far.

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Insecurity: South West governors plan security network

Published

on

Gov. Kayode Fayemi  of Ekiti on Friday said  that governors in the South West were planning a western Nigeria security network in an  effort to tackle security challenges in the country.

Fayemi made the disclosure while fielding questions from newsmen on the sideline of the first Governors’ Lecture Series of the Mass Communication Department of the University  of Lagos in conjuction with the university’s Multi Media Centre of  Excellence.

The lecture is an annual communication in governance agenda setting  initiative.

“For us in South West, we deliberated on this over the last couple of months and  have met with our traditional institutions.

“We have also met with our non-state actors in the field of security, as well as our self-determination group, and we have come up with a western Nigeria security network that is going to be announced soon.

“By then, you will have a full picture of what we are doing,’’ Fayemi said.

The governor noted that the main security outfits in the country were intensifying efforts to fight crimes but said thatmore needed to be done.

“We want it sustained and comprehensive.

“There is a longer term response to insecurity, and we cannot remove it from correlation to other challenges.

“There are economic challenges, inequality in the land and poverty in the society.

“There is a direct correlation between insecurity and inequality, and we must tackle that by ensuring that we create an enabling environment for jobs to be provided for Nigerians seeking to work,” he said.

According to Fayemi, it is not every Nigerian who wants to work but those seeking to work ought to be able to find jobs.

“It may not be necessarily the type of jobs they are looking for; we need to also improve on our entrepreneurial skills.

“This will ensure self-reliance, add value to them and the society at large,’’ he said.

On ministerial appointments, Fayemi said that the appointees were tested.

“To the best of my knowledge, having served as a minister in this country, I think the new appointees are truly tested politicians and technocrats in their own rights.”

According to him, the returnees are people of substance and the new ones, particularly that from his state, decent, honest and credible.

Fayemi expressed confidence that Chief Otunba Adeniyi Adebayo, from Ekiti, would excel in the Ministry of Trade and Investment.

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.