Connect with us

Sport

Lukaku undergoing medical ahead of Inter switch

Published

on

 Romelu Lukaku is set to join Inter Milan from Manchester United on Thursday with Italian media reporting he will sign a contract immediately after undergoing a medical.

The Belgian forward enjoyed a bright start at United before ending his second season battling for a place in the team.

Lukaku arrived at Malpensa airport in the early hours of the morning amid reports the two clubs had agreed an 80 million euros (£73.73 million) deal for the 26-year-old.

Television pictures showed dozens of jubilant Inter Milan fans gathered at Malpensa to welcome Lukaku, who had been training with Belgian side Anderlecht for the last few days. He waved to the fans before being led away to another door.

Gazzetta dello Sport and other Italian media said Lukaku’s medical was booked for around 0800 GMT and he would put pen to paper afterwards.

Inter’s new coach Antonio Conte has been chasing Lukaku for some time and had also tried to sign him when he was manager of Chelsea.

Serie A champions Juventus were also reported as being interested in the player.

Lukaku joined United from Everton in 2017. He scored 42 goals in 96 appearances in all competitions, with 11 of those goals coming in his first two months at the club.

Edited by Maharazu Ahmed

Sport

Manchester City held by Spurs in controversial VAR decision

Published

on

Draw

Manchester(U.K), Aug. 17, 2019 Manchester City had a late goal from Gabriel Jesus ruled out by VAR video review as they drew 2-2 at home to Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday — their first league home game without victory in nearly eight months.

An outstanding game of football, with two teams of technically gifted players competing at a relentless tempo was decided by a video review, which spotted a handball which would never have been given under the previous laws on handling.

Jesus drove in what looked like the winner in added time but while City were celebrating, the VAR review had spotted the ball brushing the arm of City defender Aymeric Laporte before the Brazilian struck home.

The new handball ruling has removed the need for intent to be considered. Even accidental contact with the hand is enough to rule out a goal.

The drama — and the bitter feeling of celebrating victory only to end up seeing it taken away — was all too familiar for City who had exited the Champions League in April to Spurs when they had a late ‘winner’ from Raheem Sterling ruled out by VAR.

“To be honest I thought it was a goal. It’s a bit unlucky for City. Anyone can have a different interpretation of the moment. But we are very pleased with the point,” said Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris.

“I looked to the screen and realised there was a handball which is good for us and unlucky for City but there are many games ahead. For now we just need to enjoy the moment,” he said.

The drama and controversy will overshadow an excellent encounter which City dominated for large stretches.

Pep Guardiola’s side had taken the lead in the 20th minute when Kevin De Bruyne swung in a cross from the right which Sterling met at the back post with a textbook header.

But City’s advantage lasted less than three minutes as Erik Lamela fired Spurs level after he was expertly picked out by Tanguy Ndombele.

The setback failed to hold back Guardiola’s side and it was no surprise when Sergio Aguero restored their lead in the 35th minute, with De Bruyne once again the provider with a low ball superbly turned in at the near post by the Argentine.

Again City camped in the Spurs half, peppering Hugo Loris’s goal, but once more the visitors fought back.

Mauricio Pochettino sent on Lucas Moura as a substitute and the Brazilian scored with his first touch, beating Kyle Walker to head in a Lamela corner.

Then came the late drama and controversy as VAR once again stole the headlines. (Reuters/NAN)

MUYI/AFA

Edited by Felix Ajide

 

Continue Reading

Sport

NYG Elimination: Team Edo male cricket defeats Team Delta

Published

on

Qualification

By Monday Ajogun

Asaba (Delta) The Edo male cricket team on Saturday, scored 76 runs while Team Delta scored 74 runs, in the ongoing South South Zonal elimination of the National Youth Games (NYG) in Delta.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the South-South Zonal elimination is held preparatory for the 5th edition of the NYG, scheduled to hold in Kwara State between Sept. 7 and Sept. 17.

Speaking with the Nigeria News Agency shortly after the match, Team Edo Head coach, Theophilus Ibodeme, expressed delight with his players’ performance.

“My team scored 76 runs for the loss of six wickets in 13.4 overs, while team Delta scored 74 runs for the loss of 9 wickets in 19.3 overs.

“Victor Samuel and Courage Adjuwanou both of team Edo bowled 3 wickets in four overs and two wickets in four overs respectively.

“Harrison Diyyo and Reuben Ogereka both of team Delta scored 21 and 15 respectively.

“At the end of the game Edo won by four wickets, and I am sure they would retain the position of the national youth games championship at the end of the competition in Kwara,” he said.

Continue Reading

Sport

NYG Elimination: Team Edo female cricket defeats Team Delta

Published

on

Qualification

By Monday Ajogun

Asaba (Delta) The Edo male cricket team on Saturday, scored 76 runs while Team Delta scored 74 runs, in the ongoing South South Zonal elimination of the National Youth Games (NYG) in Delta.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the South-South Zonal elimination is held preparatory for the 5th edition of the NYG, scheduled to hold in Kwara State between Sept. 7 and Sept. 17.

Speaking with the Nigeria News Agency shortly after the match, Team Edo Head coach, Theophilus Ibodeme, expressed delight with his players’ performance.

“My team scored 76 runs for the loss of six wickets in 13.4 overs, while team Delta scored 74 runs for the loss of 9 wickets in 19.3 overs.

“Victor Samuel and Courage Adjuwanou both of team Edo bowled 3 wickets in four overs and two wickets in four overs respectively.

“Harrison Diyyo and Reuben Ogereka both of team Delta scored 21 and 15 respectively.

“At the end of the game Edo won by four wickets, and I am sure they would retain the position of the national youth games championship at the end of the competition in Kwara,” he said.

Continue Reading

Sport

Funds threaten D’Tigers world cup campaign

Published

on

The senior National Basketball men’s team, D’Tigers’ earlier scheduled trip to China in continuation of their preparation for the FIBA World Cup may have suffered a setback over paucity of funds.

The Nigeria Basketball Federation is said to be struggling to raise funds for the tour.

This was made known to journalists on Saturday by the General Manager of the team, Musa Adamu when asked about the team’s planned trip for the FIBA 2019 World Cup in China.

The News Agency ot Nigeria reports that the competition dunks off on Aug. 31, and has Nigeria in Group B with Russia, Argentina and South Korea

Nigeria had lined up series of warm up matches in Shanghai, China to further fine tune the team’s preparations.

However, Adamu said paucity of funds may cause serious blow to the team’s preparations.

According to him, efforts to secure funds from the Federal Ministry of Sports for the trip has not yielded result.

“I cannot tell you exactly when the team is leaving for China, the basketball federation has been doing a lot for this team.

“We started this elimination over a year ago and now going to two years and the federation has been funding the trips for each window.

“Each window, we had to bring players, fly them down, accommodate them and also pay insurance, and all these things have been done singlehandedly by the federation.

“What we’ve heard are just promises from the ministry to support us, but we are still expecting and hoping that they will do so before we leave for China,” Adamu said.

Adamu, an ex international, said that despite plans to adequately prepare the team for the apex global sports fiesta, the unavailability of funds might just be the clog in the wheel of the team’s preparation.

“The team is here in Nigeria, so we hope that they will act because we don’t know when we will leave. There are no funds available for now.

“The federation is looking up to the Ministry with the hope that the funds will be released for us to leave on time.”

Adamu applauded the Engr. Musa Kida led NBBF board for their selfless sacrifice throughout the qualifiers.

The D’Tigers general manager appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to interven, so as to save the country from global embarrassment.

“I wish to appreciate the federation, the President, Engr Musa Kida and the board, they  have been doing so much for this team and basketball and I think it’s time for government to step in and assist us.”

Adamu revealed that the current players in camp are talented, motivated and ready to represent Nigeria well.

“I will like to use the forum to call on the President, His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari to turn his eyes a little bit to the D’Tigers because they are also a national team.

“We are expecting support from him to release funds for our team to be able to participate in this World Cup.”

Adamu noted that Nigeria was the first country in the world to qualify for the World cup, but may end up not participating in the competition.

“We have come a long way. We have a very good, ambitious and motivated team. We really hope that the President will try to help his children, his people, to be able to participate in this World  Cup, ” Adamu said.

Edited by Maharazu Ahmed

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

FIFA ban: Siasia says legal team preparing his defence, urges for calm

Published

on

Former Super Eagles coach Samson Siasia on Saturday appealed for calm over news of his life ban from the game by world football governing body FIFA on Friday.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that Siasia was banned for life from the game following a match-fixing probe by FIFA.

Siasia, who spoke to newsmen in Abuja through an associate, Prince Opukiri Jones-Ere at the main bowl of the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, said the matter was currently being looked into by his lawyer.

The former Super Eagles forward said he was hopeful of a positive conclusion of the matter.

“We want to please plead with everyone to be  calm as the issue has been handed over to a lawyer and he is looking at the case.

“So, at this moment, Siasia will be unavailable to speak to the press.

“I want to also appeal to you all to be patient with us, considering the fact that he is already going through so much stress with regards to his mother’s kidnap which we are dealing with at the moment.

“We appreciate you all for your concerns and solidarity messages which have been received from the onset of this situation.

“So, my kind appeal is that you all give us some time for the lawyer to look into the case and as soon as possible, hopefully by next week, we will come up with our position and further action to be taken on the issue.

“”On behalf of the family of Siasia, we want to once again thank you for your concerns and we pray that this will end well,” he said.

FIFA had said in a statement on Friday that the adjudicatory chamber of their independent Ethics Committee found the 51-year-old Siasia guilty.

He was “guilty of having accepted that he will receive bribes in relation to  manipulation of matches in violation of FIFA Code of Ethics.”

Siasia played 51 times as a striker for the Nigerian national team and later coached various national youth sides before his first spell as senior coach in 2010.

His case is the latest to emerge from FIFA’s long-running investigation into the activities of Singaporean Wilson Raj Perumal, whom FIFA has called a “known match fixer”.

He has admitted such activity in several interviews.

FIFA said Siasia was banned for life “from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) at both national and international levels.”

Siasia was also fined CHF 50,000 (41,997.1 pounds).

The former Nigerian international was appointed Super Eagles head coach from 2010 to Oct. 2011 and he was reappointed in 2016.

NAN reports that FIFA had in 1989 banned Nigeria for two years from age-grade football competitions over discrepancies discovered in the ages provided by the duo of Siasia and Dahiru Sadi.

The ages were provided while registering both players for the 1985 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in the then Soviet Union and the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea.

(Edited by Chioma Ugboma and Olawale Alabi)

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.