Connect with us

Defence/Security

Drug abuse: Group urges FG, traditional rulers collaboration

Published

on

A group, Vanguard Against Drug Abuse (VGADA), on Wednesday advised the Federal Government to partner the traditional rulers in tackling drug abuse, insecurity, and other forms of social ills in the country.

VGADA’s President, Dr Hope Abraham, who made the call in an interview with Nigeria News Agency in Abuja said that curbing drug abuse among the youths was a collective effort.

He noted that royal fathers were generally believed to hold the key to the success or failure of successive administrations in the country.

According to him, the collaboration with the traditional rulers becomes necessary because they operate at the grassroots and interact closely with the people at that level.

Abraham said that the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) being “underfunded and understaffed” could not fully combat these issues alone.

“The rising menace of drug and insecurity issues in Nigeria is a recipe for serious concern among stakeholders, including the traditional rulers.

“Royal fathers should be empowered to domesticate security at the grassroots, which constitutes higher per cent of the hideouts for drug peddlers and addicts.

“The NDLEA, saddled with this primary responsibility, is underfunded and understaffed.

“The agency should be equipped with modern tools, and should be paid good salaries including job security, to motivate them for maximal performance.”

Abraham said the ongoing recruitment of 5,000 personnel would go a long way in addressing the menace of drug abuse in Nigeria.

According to him, the traditional rulers at the grassroots get intelligence information firsthand, which helps to checkmate crimes.

He, however, urged the traditional rulers at all levels to assist in encouraging their subjects to shun violence ahead of governorship elections in Kogi and Bayelsa.

“Security in the country today deserves a collective approach by the government, the traditional rulers, faith-based organisations, NGOs and the communities.

“Since Nigeria has an age-long historic relation with the neighbouring countries, the traditional rulers can assist the government in this regard,” he said.

Abraham noted that drug abuse had become so prevalent in some parts of the country that the future of youths and adults were at risk.

“The ultimate panacea is the implementation of robust youth-based programmes and empowerment for the Nigerian youth.

“The root of every security threat is unemployment. Addressing this will halt the menace of criminality and clean our country of social vices,” he said.

Defence/Security

Sleep with your two eyes closed – Gov. Badaru tells newly-posted NYSC members

Published

on

Gov. Muhammadu Badaru of Jigawa on Thursday assured corps members posted to the state of their safety, urging them to “sleep with your two eyes closed”.

Giving the assurance during the orientation of 2019  Batch ‘B’ Stream II of National Youth Service Corps members posted to the state, the governor said his administration was in synergy with security agencies for the state to remain secure.

Represented by his Deputy, Malam Umar Namadi, the governor said  government was not resting on its oars as security agencies were made to work round the clock and in synergy to ensure that the state remained safe.

“As you stay in this camp and even after the camping period, you should always sleep with your two eyes closed.”

“In other  words, always go about your normal duties freely as no molestation is envisaged in any part of the state,” he said.

Badnarik assured that the  people of the state were ready to receive  corps members warmly after their orientation in places they would be deployed  for their primary assignments.

Earlier in a remark, Coordinator of NYSC in Jigawa, Alhaji Muhammad Ibrahim, said a total of 1,357 corps members were deployed to Jigawa for service,  consisting of 860 males and 497 females.

He thanked the governor for his support to the NYSC Scheme in the state, describing him as being “NYSC-Friendly”.

“As one of the most NYSC friendly executive governors in the country, we request that you continue to keep your doors open whenever we need to see you,” he pleaded.

Ibrahim reminded that just as there were provisions made to reward corps members who abided by the rules and regulations of the camp, there were also sanctions for those who went astray.

He therefore advised the corps members to cooperate  among themselves, as well as with  camp officials, so as to complete the service year without hitches. .

 

Edited by Chioma Ugboma

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Proficiency competition; Enugu Govt. pledges continuous partnership with army

Published

on

  Enugu State Government has assured  Nigerian Army of its continuous partnership in ensuring safety of lives and  property in the state.

Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi gave the assurance at the closing of the 82 Division of the Nigerian Army 2019 Inter-Brigade Combat Proficiency Competition on Thursday in Enugu.

Ugwuanyi, who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Prof. Simon Ortuanya, noted that the army had given “great support’’ to the state in its quest to ensure that the state remained the safest in the country.

“Today marks a milestone in the history of the Nigerian army.

“This event clearly portrays readiness of the Nigerian army to defend the territorial integrity of the country as well as handle internal security duties professionally.

“As a government, we will continuously partner with the Nigerian army to ensure that our state and our people remain safe and secured,’’ he said.

The governor lauded the General Officer Commanding the Division for a successful competition.

In an address, the GOC of the Division, Maj.-Gen. Abubakar Maikobi, lauded the troops of the participating formations for their discipline during the competition.

Maikobi urged the troops that did well to keep the flag flying; while those that had deficiencies to strive to improve on their performance.

“The division will continue on the part of the vision of the Chief of Army Staff meant to professionalise the army in all ramifications.

“The division is grateful to Enugu state government for its support so far as well as being present in this closing ceremony,’’ he said.

Nigeria News Agency reports that 34 Brigade, Owerri was the overall best performing formation in all  events of the competition.

The 13 Brigade, Calabar, came second; 82 Division Garrison got third position and 14 Brigade, Ohafia came fourth; thus, going home with the wooden spoon.

Major Sobor Beke, Team Leader of 34 Brigade, Owerri, attributed the success of the f brigade in the competition to discipline and resilience of officers and soldiers.

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police arrest man for allegedly raping a 7-yr-old girl in Kebbi

Published

on

Kebbi Police Command has arrested a 42-year-old man, Ibrahim Umar of Nufawa village, Basaura district of Jega Local Government, for allegedly raping a seven-year-old girl at Katako area of Bara village in the state.

The state Commissioner of Police, Mr Garba Danjuma told newsmen in Birnin Kebbi on Thursday that the suspect dragged the minor to a millet farm and forcefully had intercourse with her.

Danjuma said after the suspect was done with her, he gave her one packet of candy, valued at N25.

He said the parents of the girl reported the incident to authorities, and after due police investigation, the suspect admitted to the act.

”The suspect was arrested and confessed to the alleged crime. He will be charged to court to face the law,” the police chief said.

Danjuma appealed to members of the public to see the duty of fighting crime as a collective responsibility.

”We should continue to partner to maintain our status as the safest state in Nigeria,” he added.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the suspect, pleading for mercy, said it was his fist involvement in rape.

“This is the work of the devil; please, forgive me as such a thing will not repeat itself again,” the suspect pleaded.

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Normalcy returns to Borno communities after Boko Haram attack

Published

on

Normalcy have returned to Gubio and Magumeri communities of Borno after the Wednesday night attack coordinated by the Boko Haram insurgents.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the residents in the affected areas returned to their homes after the insurgents’ attacks at Gubio and Magumeri headquarters of Magumari and Gubio Local Government Areas of the state.

The insurgents attacked the communities at about 6:00 pm; torched residential homes, schools, offices, looted food items and abducted a member of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) in the affected communities.

The insurgents attacked the communities barely 12 days after a similar incursion in Gubio following the withdrawal of troops in the area.

Mr Zanna Modu, the Caretaker Chairman of Gubio Local Government Council, told newsmen in Maiduguri that the insurgents looted food items, razed houses and public buildings.

Modu disclosed that people who earlier fled for safety had returned after the insurgents withdrew on Thursday.

“It is unfortunate that few days after the insurgents attack; another element of the terrorists infiltrated the town at about 6:00 pm on Wednesday.

“I am in Maiduguri on official engagements and I received calls over the attack, they withdrew after causing serious damage,” he said.

Also, Mr Usman Zanna, a member of the House of Representatives (Gubio-Magumeri-Kaga Federal Constituency), said the insurgents torched Magumeri council headquarters, public buildings and houses in the area.

Zanna said that many people were displaced due to the destruction of their homes by the insurgents.

He noted that the insurgents took advantage of troop’s withdrawal from the affected areas to commit atrocities in the communities.

“The situation is calm; people returned to their homes on Thursday”.

Efforts to get reactions by Col. Ado Isa, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Operation Lafiya Dole, proved abortive as he did not respond to inquiries sent to him through Short Service Message (SMS).

However, Maj.-Gen. Benson Akinroluyo, the former Theater Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, had disclosed that the troop’s redeployment was part of strategies to enhance the counter insurgency campaign.

Akinroluyo stated this when Gov. Babagana Zulum, paid a visit to commiserate with the Gubio community over the insurgents attack on Aug. 10.

RSA/IS

Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police arrest officer who crushed widow to death in Aba

Published

on

Police in Abia say policeman, who crushed a widow to death, has been arrested and being investigated

The Command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Geoffrey Ogbonna confirmed the incident to Nigeria News Agency on Thursday in Aba.

Ogbonna described the death of the widow as an unfortunate incident, stressing that the driver, a policeman, had been taken into custody pending police investigation.

He also confirmed that the body of the deceased, who was identified as Mrs Peace Edu, had been deposited in a mortuary after a contact with her family members.

NAN reports that the widow whose age was put at about 50 years was on Wednesday crushed to death in a most painful manner within the premises of Aba Central Police Station.

An eyewitness, who gave her name as Grace Onyeike, said she knew the widow, Edu, was always visiting the Aba Area Command and the Central Police Station to sell clothing materials to policemen.

Onyeike said that the accident involved a Mercedes Emel 320 (ML320), driven by the Divisional Traffic Officer-2(DTO-2) of the Aba CPS, simply identified as SUPO Innocent.

She said that Innocent was trying to reverse and remove the vehicle for another vehicle whose owner wanted to leave the compound.

She said that it was in the process of removing the car that Innocent lost control of the car and pinned the widow to a wall at the station.

The eye witness, who said she visited CPS for a different purpose, said the woman died on the spot following the impact of the car on her abdominal region, leading to much loss of blood.

She said that the victim appeared dead before she was pulled out of the wall and taken to the Police Clinic at the Aba Area Command compound adjourning the CPS.

According to her, the late widow has a daughter called Blessing, and hails from Adah in Ebonyi.

“It was not up to 20 seconds after I saw the Mama and just greeted her that she was crushed by the Mercedes Jeep.

“It was an accident that no one can explain or understand because that place is a small place to warrant such an impact,” she said.

Another source at the station told NAN that the Mercedes Jeep, involved in the accident, belonged to the newly promoted Supo Innocent’s friend.

He said that Innocent was asked by a superior officer to quickly move the vehicle from a particular parking space, which was what he was trying to do, when the tragedy struck.

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.