Connect with us

Foreign

Soldiers killed in al-Shabaab attack on Somali army base

Published

on

At least 10 people were killed on Wednesday in an attack by militant group al-Shabaab at a Somali army base outside the capital Mogadishu, according to the military.

A senior military official, Ahmed Guhad, told reporters that soldiers and a member of staff from the army’s radio station were killed in the attack as well as seven militants.

“Armed militants attacked the base from different directions after (double suicide) car bombings in the village of Awdhegle, 70 kilometres south of Mogadishu.

“We have lost two soldiers and a photographer who is working for Somali army radio, though, we defeated the militants.

“On their Radio Andalus, al-Shabaab claimed to have killed 10 Somali soldiers in the attack, “Guhad said.

The group is seeking to establish an Islamist state and regularly launches attacks on government buildings, hotels and restaurants in the volatile nation in the Horn of Africa. (dpa/NAN)

YISN

Foreign

Landslide claims 7 lives in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir

Published

on

Landslide

Assistant Commissioner of Rawalakot city told local media that two bodies have so far been retrieved from the debris of the houses and rescuers were trying to recover the remaining bodies, adding that the landslide took place due to heavy rain in the city.

The official said intermittent downpour has been obstructing the rescue work in the area, and more incidents of landslide are feared.

Earlier in July, at least 28 people were killed and dozens of others went missing after a cloudburst-triggered flash floods swept away mosques and houses in Neelum Valley of Pakistan-controlled Kashmir.

The country has been witnessing heavy rainfall due to monsoon season which generally lasts between July and September, causing loss of human life, damage to buildings and infrastructure, and loss of crops and livestock.

YEE

(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Security forces arrest 2 drug traffickers in N. Afghanistan – Official

Published

on

Drugs

Provincial government spokesman Mohammad Jawad Hejri made this known to Xinhua.

He said that personnel of the National Directorate of Security (NDS), the country’s primary intelligence agency, arrested the suspects while they were driving a vehicle on a main roadway in Rustaq district.

He added that the personnel made the arrest after they received a report that the men were transporting a batch of drugs from neighboring Badakhshan province.

YEE

(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Riots as Mexico City protesters march against alleged police rapes

Published

on

Riots

The demonstrations came after two young women had separately claimed to have been raped by police in Mexico City over the past two weeks.

Fires broke out in several locations, including a police station and a monument to Mexican independence.

Masked women also destroyed a bus stop and damaged several police cars.

Several people were sprayed with paint.

A man punched a television reporter during a live broadcast.

Seventeen people were injured, including 14 police and two journalists, according to media reports.

The demonstrators were demanding justice for two teens, who were reportedly victims of sexual assault.

On the evening of Aug. 3, a 17-year-old girl was allegedly raped by several police officers when she was on her way home.

In the second case, a 16-year-old said a police officer raped her in a museum where she worked as an intern.

The mayor of Mexico City, Claudia Sheinbaum, said six policemen had been suspended.

AIB

Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde

Continue Reading

Foreign

Yemeni Houthis claim attack on Saudi oilfield; no Saudi confirmation

Published

on

Attack

Dubai, Aug. 17, 2019 Yemen’s Houthi movement launched drone attacks on oil facilities in a remote area of Saudi Arabia, the group’s Al-Masirah TV said on Saturday, but there was no immediate confirmation from Saudi authorities or state oil giant Aramco.

A Saudi-led coalition is battling the Iran-aligned Houthis to try to restore Yemen’s government, which was ousted from power in the capital Sanaa by the group in late 2014.

The war has been in military stalemate for years.

The Houthis have stepped up cross-border missile and drone attacks on Saudi Arabia in recent months.

“Ten drones targeted Aramco’s Shaybah oilfield and refinery in the first Operation: Balance of Deterrence in the east of the kingdom,’’ the Al-Masirah channel reported, citing a Houthi military spokesman.

It did not say when the attack took place.

Saudi Aramco declined to comment when contacted by Reuters.

The Houthi spokesman described the attack on Shaybah, close to the United Arab Emirates border, as the “biggest attack in the depths” of the kingdom, the world’s top oil exporter, since the Saudi-led coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015.

“We promise the Saudi regime and the powers of aggression bigger and wider operations if the aggression continues,’’ the Houthi spokesman said.

In May the Houthis claimed responsibility for a drone attack on two oil pumping stations in the kingdom that caused a small fire but did not disrupt oil output or exports of crude and petroleum products.

The coalition has responded to the drone attacks with airstrikes on Houthi targets in Sanaa and other areas held by the group, which controls most large urban centres in Yemen.

The violence is complicating UN-led peace efforts to ease tensions between the Houthis and Saudi Arabia in order to pave the way for political talks to end the war, which has killed tens of thousands of people and pushed millions to the brink of famine.

The conflict is widely seen in the region as a proxy war between Sunni Muslim Saudi Arabia and Shi’ite Muslim Iran.

Riyadh has accused Tehran of supplying the Houthis with the missiles and drones used in attacks on Saudi cities, a charge both Iran and the group reject.

AIB

Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde

Continue Reading

Foreign

South African police arrest 18 suspects after foreign shops looting

Published

on

 

Arrests

According to the police, the situation is now calm in Soweto townships following the looting spree.

On Wednesday night, several shops belonging to foreigners were looted.

Gauteng police spokesperson Kay Makhubele told Xinhua that the situation is calm and they are monitoring the situation.

“The situation is calm and we are monitoring the affected areas.

“We have arrested 18 suspects who will be charged with public violence. They will appear in court soon,” said Makhubele.

He condemned the looting of shops on what he blamed on opportunistic criminals.

The chairperson of the African Diaspora Forum (ADF), Vusumuzi Sibanda, said that some shops are still closed due to fear.

“The situation is a bit calm with police patrolling but some shops are still closed. Some ran away to seek shelter at police stations while some went to live with friends. Some shop owners are still afraid to open shops,” Sibanda said.

Sibanda said the government is not doing enough to protect foreigners who are always attacked and their property confiscated by locals.

YEE

(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. All Rights Reserved.