The Local Organising Committee (LOC) for the 20th National Sports Festival (NSF) on Wednesday in Benin said it would unveil the festival’s mascot and theme song on Oct.17.
Tony Akiotu, spokesman of the LOC, while announcing this after the committee’s meeting in Benin, said the song and the mascot were selected from the 77 entries received by the LOC.
He said also that the national unveiling of the song and mascot would take place in Lagos on Oct. 28.
“While the unveiling in Benin will not be with a big ceremony, that of Lagos will be organised alongside the launch of the fund-raising for the games,’’ Akiotu said.
He added that the fund-raising was to enable Edo host a very successful NSF in 2020.
Akiotu disclosed that plans were underway for a very wide coverage of the festival.
“Super Sports will beam the opening and closing ceremonies of the festival live, while other local television stations will hook up to it throughout the duration of the competition.
“As part of the publicity for the festival, billboards will be hosted in major airports in the six geo-political zones of the country.
“Edo is not just hosting for the fun of it, we are hosting an event that will be historic. We are hosting to raise the standard and organisation of the games,” he said.
The LOC spokesman said the festival’s organisers would also ensure they used the event to showcase five icons of the festival from Edo.
“We will showcase our icons, such as Maria Osifo and Isaac Ikhuoria, among others.’’
Akiotu added that nine venues, including the renovated Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, would play host to 33 sports competitions during the festival.
He said the University of Benin and the Benin Technical College had been chosen to serve as the Games Village.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that NSF 2020, which will hold from March 22 to April 1, will be the third NSF the state will be hosting.
The old Bendel State had hosted the 1981 edition, while Edo State had in 2002 hosted the event also.(NAN)
(Edited by Joe Idika and Olawale Alabi)
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Zimbabwe banks start dispensing new bank notes
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed
- Insurgency: Nigerian Army seeks support from NEDC
- Lawmaker tasks information officers on efficiency, professionalism