Two persons were rescued and 21 others still missing when a boat conveying members of the Evangelical Church of All Nations (ECAN) capsized on River Benue on Sunday.
The News Agency of Nigeria learnt that the boat left Ijaha community in the Makurdi Local Government Area of Benue and was heading to Markurdi, the state capital when the incident happened.
The police command in Benue, confirmed the development in a statement, signed by the Public Relations Officer of the command, DSP. Catherine Anene.
“On 05/07/2020 at about 14:30hrs information was received that 23 members of ECAN Church, Ijaha in Makurdi Local Government boarded a boat to attend a conference across River Benue and at midstream, the boat sank.
“The marine police search party was deployed to the scene, where two persons were rescued alive while 21 people are still missing.
“Further developments will be communicated to members of the public as soon as possible,” the statement said.
Edited By: Silas Nwoha (NAN)
- Barca’s Pique calls for wholesale changes after “shameful” defeat
- INEC seeks stakeholders collaboration in instituting electoral transparency
- Bayern Munich must stay grounded in spite of Barca demolition, coach says
- FC Barcelona’s Umtiti tests positive for COVID-19
- Bauchi Gov. condoles family of murdered lawmaker, Mante
- Football united behind Infantino, FIFA general secretary says
- Council approves health care provision fund guideline
- Labour ministry denies complicity in human trafficking
- UN ‘strongly condemns’ rights abuses in Cameroon
- Tourism operators reveal Top 10 romantic destinations for honeymoon in Nigeria