An Ebute Meta Magistrates’ Court in Lagos on Wednesday ordered the remand of a 27-year-old man, Monday Odeh, over alleged murder.
The Chief Magistrate, Mr O.O. Olatunji, ordered that Odeh be remanded in Ikoyi Prison, pending the receipt of legal advice from the office of the State Director of Public Prosecution (DPP).
Earlier, the prosecutor, Insp Oladele Adebayo, had told the court that the defendant committed the offence on April 4, at Magodo Estate, Lagos.
He alleged that the defendant had used a shovel to hit the deceased, Abdullahi Yunusa, 54, on his head, leading to his death.
According to him, the offence contravened the provisions of Section 222 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that section 222 stipulates a death sentence for offenders.
Olatunji adjourned the case till June 17.
- Traditional leader says vigilance groups key to effective security
- KWSG assures traditional rulers of better welfare
- WAEC: Kano Govt sets up 12 examination centres for boarding students
- Tokyo Olympics: Non-contact sports to resume training in PH – Minister
- Amotekun commander solicits Ondo monarchs’, residents’ support
- Actualising Life’s dreams entails strong determination, says Nollywood actor
- National gas transportation network code to go-live Monday — Official
- Mauritius declares state of emergency on environment after oil spill
- United States imposes sanctions on Central African rebel leader
- Lebanese judge orders detention of top officials after port blast