Three applicants on Wednesday appeared in an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court for allegedly stealing a four-year-old boy.
The police charged Blessing John, 27; Blessing Itowowo, 25; and Israel Ariyo, 32, with four counts of conspiracy, child stealing, receiving stolen child and selling of child.
They however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The Prosecution Counsel, Insp. Patrick Ebri, told the court that the defendants committed the offence on July 14, at No. 261, Ikota Housing Estate, Ajah Lagos.
Ebri alleged that John conspired and stole a four-year- old son of Mr and Mrs Adegboyega Ifapohunda, from his parents’ house.
“Itowowo received the baby from John and took him to Akwa- Ibom, where he was to be sold for N350, 000.
“Itowowo and Ariyo who are lovers, organised the sale of the child to a buyer for adoption in Akwa-Ibom for the sum of N250, 000
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 277(a)(b) and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 .
Magistrate O.O. Fajana admitted the defendants to bail in the sum N100, 000 each with two sureties each in like sum.
She also ordered that the sureties must provide proof of tax payment to the Lagos State Government in the last three years.
Fajana adjourned the case until Nov. 18 for mention.
Edited by Zainab Garba/Sadiya Hamza
- Woman prays court to grant her custody of 2-yr son
- Court remands labourer for allegedly defiling neighbour’s daughter
- NYSC SAED will prepare you for the challenges of unemployment, Okpongete charges corps members
- 14 political parties to participate in Adamawa local council election
- NASA tracks swarm of asteroids zooming toward earth at breakneck speed
- Cleric urges Nigerians to pray for leaders irrespective of differences
- Kogi guber: Attack on SDP secretariat a threat to democracy – Ondo SDP
- EU lawyer: Jailed Catalan leader should have EU parliament immunity
- Asylum seekers cannot lose shelter, food as punishment – EU court
- Kaduna Govt., CS-SUNN train committee on effective nutrition coordination
- Bayelsa poll: Court disqualifies APC deputy governorship candidate over false information
- World Pneumonia Day: Nigeria contributes highest number of child pneumonia globally – UNICEF
- Britain’s opposition Labour Party reports sophisticated cyber attack
- Adegboyega varsity to establish agro-solar power project -VC
- Security: Gov. Matawalle urges repentant bandits to sustain peace
- Thai police arrest 4 suspects over murder of Karen activist
- Amaechi, Peterside mourn death of Prof Tam David-West
- Kano Assembly urges government to construct access road in Kiru LGA
- Most states not implementing Contributory Pension Scheme — PENCOM report
- Russian PM endorses production of ebola vaccine for DRC, others at Novosibirsk facility