Three men, Anu Adewale, 22, Mathew Michael, 19, and Ibrahim Yakubu, 26, were on Tuesday arraigned in an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court for allegedly robbing two men of their cell phones at `cutlass-point.’
The defendants, docked on a four- count charge of conspiracy, assault, stealing and robbery, all denied committing the offences.
According to th prosecutor, Insp. Mojirade Edeme, the defendants committed the offences on May 9 at Meiran, Lagos.
She said that the defendants attacked one Mr Korede Fadare and Mr Ayomide Olajide, with a cutlass and escaped with their cell phones.
“The complainants were going to work when the defendants attacked them.
“They dispossessed Fadare of his phone valued at N30,000 and Olajide of his N40,000 phone totalling N70,000.”
Edeme said that the defendants assaulted Fadare and used cutlass to inflict injuries on his head for refusing to surrender his phone.
“The defendants were later arrested,” the prosecutor said.
The offences contravened Sections 175, 287, 297 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 175 carries three years imprisonment for assault with intent to steal, while Section 297 attracts 21 years imprisonment for arming self with any offensive weapon.
The Magistrate Mrs O. Aderibigbe granted the defendants bail in the sum of N100, 000 each, with two sureties each in like sum and adjourned the case until June 3 for mention.
- June 8: Gombe Govt warns against re-opening of schools
- Malaysia reports 10 new COVID-19 cases, 7,629 in total
- Iran reports 2,258 new COVID-19 cases, 143,849 in total
- Oyo Govt. restates commitment to girl-child education
- 11 new COVID-19 cases reported in Thailand
- Number of COVID-19 cases in Ghana jumps to 7,303
- Zambia’s May inflation rate soars to 16.6 pct
- Malawi to transfer more Malawians from South Africa
- TRCN mobilises Nigerian Teachers for online “New Normal” global Conference
- Germany reports 353 new COVID-19 cases, total 179,717
- 15 die in Bauchi canoe mishap – SEMA
- Shuaibu Ibrahim: Fostering new reforms in the NYSC
- Buhari felicitates Gov. Abiola on 60th birthday
- Covid-19: Niger extends lockdown by 2 weeks
- Lebanon repatriates 69 stranded Nigerians
- COVID-19 cluster on live export ship in Australia doubles to 12
- Buses withdrawal: Lagos BRT operator says services resume Friday
- Suspending oil exports causes Libya 5 bln USD in losses
- Bangladesh records highest daily spike with 2,029 new COVID-19 cases, death toll reaches 559
- Singapore stocks close 0.17 pct lower