The police, on Tuesday, arraigned three men before an Ile-Ife Magistrates’ Court in Osun over alleged possession of dangerous weapons.
The three men, , Jimoh Taofeek, 29; Junior Ajayi, 26 and Wasiu Samat, 23, are facing a four-count charge of possession of dangerous weapons, breach of public peace, unlawful assembly and possession of Indian hemp.
They, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against them.
The Police Prosecutor, Insp. Abdullahi Emmanuel, told the court that defendants committed the offence on July 6 at Ile-Ife.
Emmanuel said that the defendants were caught with axes, cutlasses and other dangerous weapons, with the intention to carry out nefarious act that could cause mayhem in the community.
He said that the defendants unlawfully had substance suspected to be Indian hemp in their possession.
The prosecutor said that the defendants also conducted themselves in a manner likely to cause breakdown of law and order in Ile-Ife and its environs.
“They engaged themselves in an unauthorised assembly and tagged themselves as members of an unlawful society called Aye/Eiye, with the intention to terrorise the community,” he said.
According to him, the offences contravene Sections 70, 249(d), 430 and 516 of the Criminal Law of Osun, 2002.
The Magistrate, Mr A. A. Ayeni, ordered that the defendants be remanded in Ilesa Correctional Centre.
He adjourned the case till July 28, for mention.
Edited By: Edith Bolokor and (NAN)
- Barca’s Pique calls for wholesale changes after “shameful” defeat
- INEC seeks stakeholders collaboration in instituting electoral transparency
- Bayern Munich must stay grounded in spite of Barca demolition, coach says
- FC Barcelona’s Umtiti tests positive for COVID-19
- Bauchi Gov. condoles family of murdered lawmaker, Mante
- Football united behind Infantino, FIFA general secretary says
- Council approves health care provision fund guideline
- Labour ministry denies complicity in human trafficking
- UN ‘strongly condemns’ rights abuses in Cameroon
- Tourism operators reveal Top 10 romantic destinations for honeymoon in Nigeria