Three men – Kujembola Olawashina, 36; Kola AfolabI, 42; Alade Adeyinka, 26, and a female, Toyin Obide, 49 – charged with assaulting and unlafuwlly detaining a policeman, were on Monday arraigned in Lagos.
The defendants appeared before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court on a four-count charge of conspiracy, breach of the peace, assault and obstructing police officer from performing his duty.
They, however, pleaded not guilty.
According to the Prosecutor, ASP Ezekiel Ayorinde, the defendants and others still at large committed the offences on Nov. 18 at Edge Base Technology, Ikeja.
He said that the defendants conducted themselves in a manner likely to cause breach of the peace by beating, obstructing and detaining a police officer attached to Area F Police Command, Ikeja, from executing his duty.
“The complainant went to the defendants’ company to arrest one of their staff who failed to honour the police invitation in a case of fraud and stealing.
“The defendants prevented the complainant from arresting the suspect.
“They beat him up and locked him inside a room.
“When the complainant was finally freed without executing his duty, he came back with his colleagues to arrest the defendants while the others escaped,” the prosecutor said.
The alleged offences contravene Sections 164, 117, 174 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Section 174 carries three years’ imprisonment for assault while Section 117 provides for three years’ imprisonment for obstructing and resisting police officer.
The Magistrate, Mrs B.O. Osunsanmi, gave the defendants bail of N200,000 each with two sureties, who should be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
The case continues on Feb. 17.
Edited & Vetted By: Ijeoma Popoola
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari
- Bournemouth stun Chelsea 1-0 away to end losing streak
- Group advocates women empowerment to check gender-based violence
- Lawmaker condoles with Mimiko, says mother death, great loss to Ondo
- 2 NGOs collaborate to clean up Lagos for healthy environment
- Buhari tasks universities on IGR for sustainable education
- Arts, cultural exchange strengthen relationships between countries – Emirati Artist
- Ismael, Akuso win maiden Ikogosi-Ekiti 10-km race
- CITN confers fellowship on 329, calls for professionalism
- NANS commends Gov. Oyetola for tackling youth unemployment in Osun
- Gov. AbdulRazaq reiterates commitment to Kwara’s socio-economic growth
- Bayern Munich batter Werder Bremen as Borussia Dortmund dominate Mainz
- Akeredolu condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Ogun lawmaker donates equipment to health facilities in constituency
- Inclusive education: Stakeholders urge training of more special teachers
- Ethiopian Airlines to launch 3 weekly flights to Houston Monday
- Shareholders seek more mergers, acquisitions in cement industry
- Golf: U.S. fight back to leave Presidents Cup in the balance
- Salah scores twice as Liverpool sink struggling Watford
- Yuletide: Enugu FRSC seeks collaboration with state traffic agency
- Eko Disco records highest remittance efficiency in Q2, says NERC
- Doctors map out measures to forestall litigations over management of patients’ ailments
- Osinbajo in Ikenne, celebrates Otunba Adesina at 80
- Group wants Nigerians to imbibe waste management culture, recycling
- FG pledges to enhance operations of River Basin Development Authorities in 2020
- Soldiers clean up Ojuelegba axis of Lagos to enhance civilian/military relations
- Enugu hospital turns to pilgrimage ground as residents catch glimpse of quadruplets
- Poor Salary: Kaduna joint tertiary institution unions shelve planned strike
- NIMASA chief urges regular exercise to stay healthy, enhance productivity
- Expert urges Nigerians to imbibe savings culture
- Navy employs weight control mechanism to promote fitness
- Exhibit more political will in tackling nation’s security challenges, Cleric advises FG
- Gospel singer charges youths to start small, be humble
- Yuletide: Curfew, ban of fireworks still effective in Borno -Police