Connect with us

General news

49 candidates to contest for governorship, House of Assembly elections in Jigawa

Published

on

Contest

Abdullahi Shugaba

A total of 49 candidates are expected to participate in the Saturday’s governorship and House of Assembly elections in Jigawa.

Mr John Kaiwa, Head of Department of Voters Education and Publicity (VEP) for Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), in Jigawa

disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria in Dutse on Thursday.

He said that out of the number, 19 candidates were vying for governorship position, while the remaining 30 were contesting for State House of Assembly from the 30 constituencies in state.

The HOD VEP explained that the three major contenders of the 19 governorship candidates are the incumbent governor, Alhaji Muhammad Abubakar, contesting under the All Progressives Congress (APC),

Alhaji Aminu Ringim of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Bashir Adamu Jumbo of Social Democratic Party, (SDP).

.

Kaiwa said that all election materials from the central bank of Nigeria (CBN) had since been distributed to all the 27 local government areas of the state in readiness of the exercise.

Foreign

In pics: “House of Steel Robots” in Thailand

Published

on

By

Children play at “Ban Hun Lek”, or “House of Steel Robots”, in central Thailand’s Ang Thong Province, on June 5, 2020. Established in 2000, “House of Steel Robots” (in Thai:”Ban Hun Lek“) is a workshop known for making “scrap metal art” out of waste automobile parts. The seemingly worthless mechanical junks are given rebirth by the workshop’s artisans, turning into unique, geeky art pieces. (Xinhua/Zhang Keren)

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Sport

Benfica players’ houses vandalised after bus attack

Published

on

The houses of several Benfica players were vandalised hours after the Portuguese champions’ bus was attacked following Thursday’s goalless draw with Tondela, a local newspaper, Tribuna Expresso, reported on Friday.

The report said the vandals had spray-painted threats against the players on the houses, adding that one of the homes targeted belonged to star midfielder and Portugal international Pizzi.

Benfica did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The team bus was attacked by people throwing stones from a motorway as it was returning from the Estadio da Luz to the club’s training ground.

German midfielder Julian Weigl and Serbian winger Andrija Zivkovic were taken to hospital as a precaution after being hit by broken glass.

The match was Benfica’s first since the season resumed after being disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Although they could only draw against lowly Tondela, they returned to the top of the table on goal difference, but failed to open up a gap on title rivals Porto.

Fans were unable to enter the stadium to prevent further spread of the virus, although supporters still greeted the team’s arrival before the match.

The Portuguese league’s organising body condemned the attack, which has marred what should have been a triumphant return of the season.

Liga Portugal strongly condemns the cowardly attack on the Benfica squad,” the league said in a statement.

“The stoning of the team’s bus is deeply regrettable, especially at a time when Portuguese football has joined forces to resume an activity that means so much to millions of people in our country.”
OLAL

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi (NAN)
)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Coronavirus pandemic sinks Japan’s household spending by record 11.1%

Published

on

Japan’s average household spending dropped a record 11.1 per cent from a year earlier in April due to the coronavirus pandemic and a consumption tax increase last year, a government report showed on Friday.

Household spending stood at 267,922 yen (2,455 dollars) in April, which represented the seventh straight month of decline in the recession-hit country, according to the report issued by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communication.

“The novel coronavirus has caused a serious impact on the economy including consumer spending,” government spokesman Yoshihide Suga told a news conference.

Friday’s report is the latest to show how much the Japanese economy – the world’s third-largest – suffered from the pandemic.

The government said on Monday that Japan’s pre-tax corporate profits plunged 32 per cent year on year to 15.1 trillion yen in the first quarter of this year, the steepest fall in 10 and a half years.

Last week, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s government approved a second supplementary budget worth 31.9 trillion yen to help alleviate the fallout from the outbreak.

The move comes one month after the enactment of the first extra budget worth 25.69 trillion yen, including a 100,000-yen cash handout to all residents in Japan.

However, critics say the handouts were not enough to help many small businesses and temporary and part-time workers that were hit hard by business closure requests made by the government.

Even before the pandemic, the Japanese economy took a big hit from the government’s consumption tax hike to 10 per cent from 8 per cent on Oct. 1.

Japan’s economy has fallen into a recession, as it contracted at an annualised rate of 3.4 per cent in the first quarter, marking two consecutive quarters of negative growth.

Abe’s government declared a state of emergency for seven urban prefectures in early April, requesting their residents stay at home to stem the spread of the coronavirus.

Nine days later, it was expanded to the whole country.

The government lifted the measure in five remaining prefectures last week, ending the nationwide restrictions.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Protesters rally in front of White House in Washington D.C.

Published

on

By

United States-WASHINGTON D.C.-PROTEST” src=”https://nnn.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/139116595_15913436539601n.jpg” sourcedescription=”网上抓取的文件” sourcename=”本地文件”>

United States-WASHINGTON D.C.-PROTEST” src=”https://nnn.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/139116595_15913436539601n.jpg” sourcedescription=”网上抓取的文件” sourcename=”本地文件”>

Protesters rally in front of the White House during a protest over the death of George Floyd in Washington D.C., the United States, on June 4, 2020. (Xinhua/Liu Jie)

Continue Reading

General news

FG to build 500 houses for IDPs in Zamfara, Borno, Katsina, Adamawa

Published

on

The National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons (NCFRMI) on Thursday said that the Federal Government would build 500 housing units for Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Zamfara, Borno, Adamawa and Katsina States.

The Federal Commissioner in charge of the Commission, Sen. Basheer Mohammed, made this known in Gusau while distributing relief materials to IDPs in the state.

Mohammed said that the Federal Government was concerned about the plight of the 2.4 million IDPs and their reintegration and resettlement, so that they could live a normal live.

“We are here for the distribution of food and non-food items that will benefit indigenes of Anka, Gusau, Maradun, Shinkafi and Zurmi Local Government Areas of the state.

As a Federal Government agency, our priority is to safeguard and protect the lives of specific vulnerable groups under our purview within the 36 states and FCT.

“The commission has taken this as a priority to build 500 housing units for IDPs in Borno, Katsina and Adamawa including Zamfara State, as phase one of the projects and we have gone far in this regard.

“We have received commitments from Borno, Katsina and Adamawa States to grant us 50 hectares of land.

Resettlement of 500 households, totalling 3,000 people in each resettlement city and a transformation of lives and dignity restored,’’ he said.

He noted that the commission was at an advanced stage with public and private investors to deliver on this goal.

“Zamfara has been chosen to be part of this housing development project which will ultimately complement the laudable efforts your government has made with Ruga Project.

“As I mentioned earlier, our major priority is our people that are displaced and if Zamfara Government approved, we will build 500 households resettlement fully equipped with facilities.

“We will also provide livelihood support schemes linked to clean water and health infrastructure; as phase one is attached to hygiene maintenance, financial inclusion and the creation of jobs.

“I will like to use this medium to obtain your approval for the allocation of 50 hectares of land in a safe zone, as a follow up to earlier request.

“The approval and partnership with the commission will be of great encouragement to our investors,’’ Mohammed said.

Responding, the Zamfara Deputy Governor, Alhaji Mahadi Aliyu-Gusau, thanked the state government for the gesture.

Aliyu-Gusau said that state government had been giving relief materials to various disaster victims in the state.

“We consider this as a complement to our state government’s efforts under Gov. Bello Matawalle.

“I am giving the commission an assurance of the state government’s efforts to any Federal Government’s organisation for the development of the state,’’ the deputy governor said.


Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Adeleye Ajayi (NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

Insecurity: House of Reps invites NSA, security chiefs, IGP, DSS

Published

on

The House of Representatives have invited the National Security Adviser, all the security Chiefs, Director, Department of State Security and Inspector General of Police to brief the House on the state of insecurity in the country.

This was sequel to a motion by Rep. Sada Soli (APC-Katsina) which was unanimously adopted at plenary on Thursday.

Moving the motion earlier, Soli said that there was need for the security experts to brief the house on effort being made to ensure safety of lives and properties of citizens.

He said that there was need to know the way forward to bring an end to the killings, kidnapping and armed banditry at the next seating.

Soli said that that in recent time, the security situation in some parts of the country has degenerated.

The Rep said that cases of kidnapping, killings and armed banditry have become a daily occurrence across the country, especially in Niger, Sokoto, Zamfara Kaduna and Katsina.

He said that the Presidential directives had  not helped to drastically reduce cases of kidnaping, killings and banditry in the country.

According to him, “this is due to lack of sustained tempo in the intervention, these criminals have continued to regroup in different camps in the government reserve forests and surrounding villages across the country.

“The magnitude of the attacks on various communities have reached an alarming rate as these criminals have continued to perpetuate their criminal acts unabated.

“If this criminality is not urgently addressed, there will be an imminent present danger to our food security in the country.

“Any deferment by the security agencies to abridge the continuous horror and inhumanity will result to an enormous loss of lives, destruction of properties and immobilise the Socio-Economic and Educational activities of various communities,” he said.

Soli said that the country is battling to contain the dangerous community infection rate of COVID-19.

He added that with the persistent attacks by criminals on farming communities across the country, especially in the North-West and North Central, may result to serious food shortage.

According to him, about 500 Primary Schools and  2000 communities were completely destroyed across the country as a result of these incessant kidnappings, killings and armed banditry attacks.

He said that the criminals are armed to the teeth with weapons supplied by ‘ gun runners living in cosmopolitan cities across the country.

Rep. Gudaji Kazaure (APC-Jigawa) said that banditry had caused more havoc in the country than COVID-19

According to him, if government could give such attention to COVID-19, why have we not seen the same attention directed to banditry.

The lawmaker said the bandits come out in their hundreds and operate for hours without any intervention from security personnel.

He said if this is allowed to continue, there would be food shortages and people might resort to self help which would lead to a total breakdowns flaw and order.

Kazaure said that it was embarrassing for a sitting governor to be negotiating with bandits because security agencies had failed in their duties.

He said that the primary function of government is the protection of lives and properties and government must raise up to its responsibilities.

Rep. Victor Mela (APC-Gombe) threatened to resign from the House of Representatives if nothing would be done to address the security situation within the next two months.

Speaker of the house, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila, said that Rep. Victor Mela was very important and the house would not want to loose him.

He said that the leadership of the House would continue to engage all security agencies on a monthly basis on the progress being made until normalcy is restored.

EOO/

Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

COVID-19: Gombe SSG’s office, Govt House clinic to be closed, fumigated- Taskforce

Published

on

The office of the Secretary to the Gombe State Government (SSG), as well as the Government House clinic, are to be closed and fumigated after a staff of the Government House died of COVID-19 on Sunday.

The chairman of the state’s Taskforce on COVID-19, Prof. Idris Mohammed disclosed this on Wednesday in Gombe while briefing newsmen.

Mohammed said that the outcome of the test conducted on the deceased was among that of several others that turned out positive of COVID-19.

He said that the sample of the deceased had been taken for testing before his death and the results came in on Wednesday.

According to him, the taskforce has taken measures to ensure that community transmission is limited.

The office of the SSG will be closed and fumigated as well as the government house clinic where the deceased was admitted for a few days.

“All members of his (deceased) family and community who had contact with him will be traced, counselled and tested for COVID-19.

“These efforts are to limit community transmission of the virus,” the chairman said.

He stated that since the deceased was also a member of the state’s Taskforce on COVID-19, all members of the taskforce would be screened for COVID-19 and anyone found positive would be isolated.

The chairman added that all those who participated in the burial of the deceased would be traced, tested and isolated until the results of their tests were out.


Edited By: Folasade Adeniran (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Appoint Dongban-Mensem substantive Appeal Court President-Plateau House of Assembly begs Buhari

Published

on

Members of the Plateau House of Assembly have appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to appoint Acting President, Court of Appeal, Justice Monica Dongban-Mensem, in a substantive capacity.

 Dongan-Mensem was appointed in the Acting capacity by the president on March 5, to serve for three months.

Buhari on May 29, extended her acting appointment for another three months.

The Plateau lawmakers during plenary on Tuesday,  appealed to the President to appoint her in substantive capacity stating that she eminently qualified to be  so appointed.

The House presided over by its Speaker, Mr Abok Ayuba, appreciated the President for giving her the opportunity to serve the nation.

Mr Philip Dasun (APC, Pankshin North) who moved the motion of urgent public importance, said,”Mr Speaker, it is expected that she would be appointed in substantive capacity after three months in acting capacity.

“We are calling on other authorised bodies to lend their voice to this call,” he said.


Edited By: Abdullahi Yusuf (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

White House not to release economic projections this summer: Washington Post

Published

on

By

White House officials have decided not to release updated economic projections this summer, as the economic toll from the COVID-19 outbreak continues to mount, the Washington Post has reported.

Citing three people with knowledge of the decision, who spoke on condition of anonymity, the report said White House will not provide updated projections on economic trends such as unemployment, inflation and economic growth in a mid-session review of the annual federal budget proposal.

The officials said the COVID-19 outbreak is causing extreme volatility in the U.S. economy, making it difficult to forecast economic trends.

The decision, however, has drawn backlash from both liberal and conservative critics, who argued that the White House should publish its economic projections regardless of the uncertainty, the report said.

The report also noted that the Obama administration continued to release the economic trends projections following the global financial crisis, despite “unflattering” numbers.

The COVID-19-induced economic loss has been growing. Economic activity in the U.S. manufacturing sector contracted for the third straight month in May amid mounting COVID-19 fallout, the Institute for Supply Management (ISM) reported Monday.

The United States Commerce Department reported on Thursday that economic activity in the first quarter contracted at an annual rate of 5 percent in a second estimate, 0.2 percentage point lower than the advance estimate.

That downwardly revised figure, however, still does not fully capture COVID-19‘s economic damage, and many analysts believe that the decline in the second quarter is expected to be much deeper.

Fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic will shrink the size of the United States economy by 7.9 trillion U.S. dollars over the next decade, according to new projections released by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) on Monday. That represents a 3 percent decline in cumulative real gross domestic product (GDP) over the next decade.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also