Connect with us

Foreign

5.2-magnitude quake hits 151km W of Port Hardy, Canada — USGS

Published

on

An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.2 jolted 151km W of Port Hardy, Canada at 2020-05-23 02:14:51 GMT on Saturday (2020-05-23 10:14:51 Beijing Time), the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The epicenter, with a depth of 10.0 km, was initially determined to be at 50.428 degrees north latitude and 129.5094 degrees west longitude.

(XINHUA)

Foreign

Measures taken to curb spread of COVID-19 at Tribhuvan Int’l Airport

Published

on

By

A Nepalese police officer walks at the Tribhuvan International Airport amid the COVID-19 pandemic in Kathmandu, Nepal, on May 31, 2020. (Photo by Sulav Shrestha/Xinhua)

Continue Reading

Economy

AfDB: Sierra Leone president assures Adesina of country’s support

Published

on

President Julius Maad Bio of Sierra Leone has assured President of African Development Bank (AfDB), Dr Akinwumi Adesina, of his support and that of his country for his quality leadership.

Bio joined other African leaders to rally support for embattled Adesina in his verified Twitter Handle accessed by the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday.

NAN recalls that United States Department of Treasury had called for an independent probe corruption allegations levelled against the AfDB president after being cleared by the bank’s ethics committee.

“Be assured of my and country’s staunch, conference and unflinching support for your bold and progressive leadership of AfDB,” the president stated.

NAN reports this was coming less than 48 hours after about 15 former presidents of African countries rallied support for Adesina.

Similarly, Ambassador Harold Doley, the United States (U.S) first ever Representative to the AfDB, also urged President Donald Trump’s administration to support Adesina.

Doley, who said supporting AfDB was a good business for America, noted that since taking office in 2015, the current president of the bank had rapidly restructured the bank and refined its focus through a high5 strategy.

Edited By: Wale Ojetimi (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Turkey deports 12 Finns over terror links

Published

on

By

Turkey deported 12 Finnish nationals over their links to terrorism, Turkish Interior Ministry announced on Sunday.

In a statement, the ministry said the fighters were sent back as part of Ankara’s efforts to “expel foreign terrorists.”

Turkey continues to send back foreign “terrorist” fighters, it added.

Ankara says that although several European countries have resisted its efforts to send IS members back to their countries, it will press forward.

Turkey has so far deported at least 7,500 IS members.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

President Buhari receives 4th Interim Report on COVID-19 from PTF

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday received the fourth reports of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19  at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, applauding the team for a job well done.

Speaking to State Correspondents at the end of the closed-door meeting, PTF Chairman, Boss Mustapha, said he presented the progress and challenges recorded by the PTF to the President.

According to him, the team also offered suggestions on ways forward in the fight against the spread of the coronavirus in the country.

Mustapha, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, quoted the President as applauding the achievements of the PTF and other frontline workers and stakeholders.

“What we basically did was to submit the fourth interim report to him and to appraise him of the progress that has been achieved in the course of the last two weeks of the extension of the eased phase one of the lockdown.

“We also discussed some of the challenges that we’ve had and suggested what we need to put in place, going forward.

“As far as the work of the PTF is concerned, he was upfront with commendations.

He (Buhari) assured us that the nation is fully behind us in the work that he has charged us to do and that he’s also appreciative of the work of the frontline workers, particularly the medical personnel, the security personnel and the people who come in contact with the patients in the time of collection of samples, the testing and the care that they are giving,’’ Mustapha said.

According to him, PTF also discussed the issue of compliance and the President said “we should continue to appeal to Nigerians and drive home the point that it’s a personal responsibility for each and every Nigerian to undertake to ensure that he keeps himself safe and by extension keeping his family, loved ones and community safe’’.

He assured that the PTF would continue to drive the message.

“It’s a message of persuasion; it’s a message that should make people take personal responsibility for their own protection and health and we will not relent on that’’.

On the deliberate refusal of Kogi and Cross River states to be in tune with the present reality in the fight against the spread of COVID-19, Mustapha said that the issue was discussed during the PTF meeting with the president.

“We discussed challenges generally and I believe that in the context of those discussions, certain steps will be taken.

“We are doing everything to ensure that the entire nation is on the same page with one response.

“It is very important that we realise that no state is an island unto itself, when you deal with public health matters.

“Whatever happens in a particular locality has the consequences of spilling off to other constituencies.

“That is the message that we’ll continue to drive in our pursuit of getting everybody to be on board.

“I can assure you that there’s no island that exists as far as COVID-19 is concerned in this country.

“We must integrate all the responses from the different segments of the community and the state and have everybody to be on the same page.

“We will continue to pursue that and we must also ensure that it happens.’’

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Oman reports 1,014 new COVID-19 cases, 11,437 in total

Published

on

By

The Omani Ministry of Health announced on Sunday 1,014 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 11,437.

According to a statement issued by the ministry, all new cases, including 371 Omanis, are related to community contact.

The statement also said 286 patients of COVID-19 had recovered, bringing the total recoveries to 2,682. Seven new deaths were reported, bringing the death toll to 49.

The ministry called on people to observe the procedures for quarantine, avoid public places or places of worship, and ensure public hygiene.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Economy

U.S. first representative to AfDB urges Trump administration to support Adesina

Published

on

Ambassador Harold Doley, the United States (U.S) first ever Representative to the African Development Bank (AfDB), has urged President Donald Trump’s administration to support the bank’s President, Dr Akinwumi Adesina.

Doley gave the advice in an open letter addressed to the U.S Secretary of the Treasury which was accessed by the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja on Sunday.

NAN recalls that Ambassador Doley was nominated by former U.S President Ronald Reagan to serve as first U.S Executive Director of AfDB from 1983 to 1985.

The ambassador, who said supporting AfDB was a good business for America, noted that since taking office in 2015, the current president of the bank had rapidly restructured the bank and refined its focus through a high5 strategy.

According to him, the strategy has directly impacted the lives of millions of Africans.

He stated that this was achieved through strategic investment in energy, and electricity, agriculture, technology that significantly improved food security, access to private sector finance, improved transport infrastructure, water and sanitation.

In 2019, with U.S support, the AfDB stakeholders approved a general capital increase of 115 billion dollars, the largest in the bank’s 56 years history. The increase more than doubled capital from 93 billion dollars to 208 billion dollars.

Also in 2019, the bank’s concessional Window, the African Development Fund, received a 35 per cent replenishment with donor contributions.

U.S shares of 499,695,200 dollars represents 7.81 per cent of total subscriptions are a critically needed resource for low income countries and transition states.

“Ultimately, supporting Africa’s private sector is critical for social and economic development. In 2018, Adesina led an unprecedented effort to attract global investment into Africa through the inaugural Africa Investment Forum” he added.

Edited By: Wale Ojetimi (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia reports 700 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, 40 new deaths

Published

on

The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 700 within one day to 26,473, with the death toll adding by 40 to 1,613, Achmad Yurianto, a Health Ministry official, said at a press conference on Sunday.

According to him, 293 more people had been discharged from hospitals, making the total number of recovered patients stand at 7,308.

The pandemic has spread to all 34 provinces in the archipelagic country.

Authorities have been conducting coronavirus tests in the affected areas and ordered the public to always wear masks to curb the spread.

The government is preparing for the so-called “new normal”, under which the public would be allowed to resume their routines.

More than 300,000 military and police personnel have been posted in nearly 2,000 places, including shopping malls, traditional markets and tourism spots in four provinces and 25 regencies or cities.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Port Harcourt DisCo denies plans to sack 120 workers

Published

on

The Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHED) had denied rumour that  it plans to sack over 120 workers from its workforce.
PHED Manager, Corporate Communications,Mr John Onyi said this in a statement on Sunday in Port Harcourt.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Senior Staff Association of Electricity and Allied Companies (SSAEAC) had alleged that PHED was planning to retrench over 120 staff on June 1.
The union, however, appealed to governments of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River and Rivers states to urgently intervene and restrain the company from retrenching workers.
Onyi, however, said rather than retrench workers, PHED management was seeking ways to promote workers’ welfare in spite of the current macroeconomic environment in the country.
“We find this claim by SSAEAC surprising as PHED management is not aware of any such move to sack over 120 staff.
PHED management has repeatedly offered a hand of friendship as well as operates open-door-policy of dialogue with the union on promotion of staff welfare.
“We expect that SSAEAC ought to have taken advantage of our open-door policy to verify the unfounded reports credited to them,” he said.
Onyi said that the management had recently reviewed the organisational structure of the company to align workers for improved service delivery.
According to him, the reorganisation is intended to streamline the workforce to optimise value in its services.
“So, there is no iota of truth on the downsizing of staff.
“We expect the cooperation of SSAEAC in the formal activation of service conditions, just as management is focused on welfare of its staff.
“We will also like to state that there are no plans to witch-haunt state governments especially Rivers that has created enabling environment for PHED to thrive.
Currently, PHED is partnering with the Ministry of Power in Rivers to improve electricity supply to the state. So, there is no rancour between PHED and Rivers government,” he said.
Onyi  said that the company was committed to maintaining industrial harmony with SSAEAC.

Edited By: Kamal Tayo/Ali Baba-Inuwa (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Yemen’s gov’t reports 13 new COVID-19 cases, 323 in total

Published

on

By

Yemen’s Health Ministry on Sunday confirmed 13 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total tally of infections to 323 in the country’s provinces controlled by the government.

According to a brief statement released by the country’s supreme national emergency committee, “during the past 24 hours, the health departments officially registered 13 new COVID-19 cases in a number of provinces controlled by the government.”

Meanwhile, the death toll from the deadly respiratory disease climbed to 80 after three new deaths were recorded in the areas controlled by the Yemeni government.

The pro-government health authorities added that the number of recoveries has increased to 14 since the outbreak of coronavirus on April 10.

The Yemeni government has taken several measures to contain the outbreak of COVID-19, including imposing a partial overnight curfew in Aden and other major cities under its control.

The government called on donors and relevant international humanitarian organizations to provide support to help contain the pandemic.

Yemen has been mired in a civil war since late 2014, when the Iran-backed Houthi group seized control of much of the country’s north and forced the internationally-recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi out of Sanaa.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also