Defence/Security

5 inmates bag degrees in Kirikiri prison – NOUN VC

Published

on

Five inmates of Maximum Security Prison in Kirikiri, Lagos, have bagged university degrees from National Open University (NOUN).

The Vice Chancellor of NOUN, Prof. Abdalla Uba Adamu, disclosed this in Lagos on Friday during the graduation ceremony and presentation of certificates to the five inmates at Maximum Security Prison, Kirikiri.

Adamu, who was represented by Professor Gregory Okagbare, said over 526 inmates were studying various courses  from Nigerian prisons.

He said there had been an increase in the numbers of inmates enrolling in degree programmes of NOUN in the various study centres located in prisons nationwide.

“There are over 526 inmates studying various courses at both under and post graduate levels while in prison detention.

“I congratulate the graduating inmates and urge you to seek for higher qualifications,” he said.

The Controller General of Prisons,  Ja’afaru Ahmed, who was represented by Assistant Controller General Chuks VU Chiabua, reiterated the commitment of the prison service to continually provide educational platform for inmates to realise their dreams while in prison.

The successful inmates who received their certificates in various degrees are: Adebayo Ojo, B.Sc Criminology & Security Studies, Idong Nelson, B.Sc Peace & Conflict Resolution and Audu Godfrey, B.Sc PCR.

Others are Akolade Arowolo, PDG in Peace & Conflict Resolution and Okeke Chinonso B.Sc Entrepreneurship and Business Management.

Defence/Security

25 persons burnt to death in Bauchi auto crash

Published

on

The police in Bauchi said on Thursday that 25 persons were burnt to death in an auto crash along Bauchi- Ningi Road in Bauchi State.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the command, DSP Abubakar Kamal, made this known in a statements in Bauchi.

Kamal said the accident occurred, which occurred in the early hours of Thursday, involved two vehicles; a Peugeot J5 Bus and a Toyota 18-seater Hummer bus.

The Toyota bus was conveying 22 passengers while the J5 bus was carrying 20 cows and four passengers.

He said that all the 26 passengers from the two vehicles sustained serious burns.

“The victims were immediately evacuated from the scene by security agents with assistance of good samaritans to Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital (ATBUTH), Bauchi for treatment.

“Unfortunately, on reaching the hospital, 25 passengers were confirmed dead by the Chief Medical Director, Dr Mohammed Alkali, while one survived and is receiving treatments.

“Investigation has revealed that all the passengers inside the Toyota Hummer bus took off from Dutsinma in Katsina State on their way to Adamawa State while the passengers inside the J5 bus were from Bauchi going to Kano State,” Kamal said.

He said that four corpses from the J5 bus were immediately identified by their families and released for burial while the remaining 21 corpses inside the Toyota Hummer bus are yet to be claimed.

The PPRO, therefore, called on members of the public whose family members left Katsina for Yola on Thursday and were still unable to reach them to check at the ATBUTH.

Edited by: Josephine Obute/Ismail Abdulaziz

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Abia CP confirms killing of fruit vendor in Umuahia

Published

on

The Abia police command has confirmed the death of one Miss Kasarachi Okwuonu, a fruit vendor, who was reportedly hit by a “stray bullet” during a crossfire between the police and alleged armed bandits at Apumiri, the headquarters of Umuahia south council area.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Ene Okon, told newsmen in Umuahia that he was briefed about the incident by the head of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) upon his return from Abuja.

He said that the incident happened on Wednesday night, when a team from SARS that responded to a distress call concerning a robbery reportedly engaged the suspects in a gun battle.

He said that the gunmen, numbering five and in army camouflage, were operating in the area, using a Toyota RAV4 .

“On sighting the SARS team, the gang opened fire and SARS operatives exchanged fire with the robbers.

“In the exchange of fire, a stray bullet hit the victim, who was rushed to a nearby hospital, where she was later confirmed dead.”

Okon dismissed speculations that the deceased was either shot directly or killed by accidental discharge.

He said, “There was nothing like accidental discharge or direct firing at the victim.”

He said that the Toyota Sienna van used by the SARS operatives was riddled with bullets from the hoodlums.

However, an eyewitness account said that there was no case of robbery in the area as alleged by the police.

He said that the incident occurred around 10 pm, when SARS operatives were on their routine patrol of the area.

He alleged that the operatives were in the habit of harassing and arresting commercial motorcyclists in the area once it became late.

He further said that those arrested and detained were usually made to pay as much as between N30,000 and N50,000 for their bail.

The eyewitness said that it was during an encounter between the SARS men and motorcyclists that one of them pulled the trigger that shot and killed Kasarachi.

“There was no robbery in this place at all. We saw what happened and we can identify the policeman who pulled the trigger,” he said on the condition of anonymity.

It was further learnt that the decessed was hit by the bullet while returning from a filling station, where she had gone to pack her wares at the end of the day’s business.

The decessed was described as the breadwinner of her family.

Meanwhile, the police commissioner said that he had set up a panel from the State Criminal Investigation Department to investigate the circumstances that led to the death.

Nigeria News Agency reports that youths of Mgbarakuma Ubakala, where the deceased hailed from, took to the streets on Thursday to protest what they termed the “cold-blooded murder” of their sister.

(Edited by: Sam Oditah)
(NAN)
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police arrest man with stolen car, master key in Benue

Published

on

The Benue Police Command on Thursday said that the command arrested one suspect (name withheld) with a stolen car and a master key.

The State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Catherine Anene, told Nigeria News Agency in Makurdi that the suspect was also arrested with a plate number belonging to another stolen car.

Anene said the suspect, who was arrested on Dec. 6 in Makurdi was in possession of several items suspected to be stolen.

(The suspect) was arrested with a stolen Toyota Camry. We recovered a plate number of another car stolen in Abuja from him.

We also recovered a car master key from him that opens all kinds of cars. We recovered books from him that were stolen inside a man’s car at Modern Market, Makurdi sometime ago,” said.

The PPRO said that the suspect had, however,  claimed that the items were stolen by his late brother who was killed by the Force earlier.

Similarly, Anene disclosed that the Command has made special deployments of officers for the yuletide.

She said that the Command has banned the use of any explosive device (knockout) during the Christmas season, adding that anyone caught using it would be arrested.

There are special deployments of officers to Churches, Highways and all exist routes. With this development there would be less cheek points, but officers would be very visible all over the Highways.

“We have also deployed additional officers for intelligence gathering to be able to foil all plans of criminals,” she said,

Anene said that the Command was determined to ensure that Benue residents enjoyed a hitch free Christmas and New Year celebrations.

Edited by: Edith Bolokor/Ismail Abdulaziz
(NAN)
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

MNJTF commander assures wounded soldiers of quality Medicare

Published

on

The Force Commander, Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), Maj.-Gen. Ibrahim Yusuf, has visited wounded soldiers in hospital and assured them of quality healthcare.

The Chief of Military Public Information for MNJTF, Col. Timothy Antigha, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday in N’Djamena, Chad and made available to newsmen in Abuja.

The soldiers, who are of Cameroonian, Chadian, Nigerien and Nigerian nationalities, were recuperating from injuries sustained in the ongoing counterinsurgency operations in the Lake Chad Area,

The force commander, while addressing the affected soldiers in a Specialist Hospital in N’Djamena, hailed them for fighting a good cause.

The MNJTF is very proud of your sacrifices and is committed to ensuring that you have the best medicare that will guarantee your full recovery”.

Yusuf thanked the hospital management for the expert care being given to the soldiers, adding that the MNJTF would continue to collaborate with the management for optimal healthcare delivery to the soldiers.

He also commended the MNJTF Medical Team for their efforts and professionalism in ensuring that the personnel remains healthy.

The soldiers expressed their willingness to quickly rejoin their colleagues in the various sectors of operation once they are fully recovered.

Edited by: Ismail Abdulaziz
(NAN)
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

FRSC debunks reported death of 30 passengers in Benin-Ore road crash

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has debunked a media report that 30 people died in a road accident which occurred around 2.30 p.m. at Show Boy on Ore-Benin Expressway on Wednesday.

The Commander, FRSC, Ore Unit, Mr Olusegun Aladenika, told Nigeria News Agency on Thursday in Ore that four passengers died in the accident, contrary to the report.

Aladenika said that the accident happened as a result of speeding by the vehicles involved.

The vehicles are a white Toyota Hiace bus marked ACA 606 XT belonging to GUO Transport Company, and a white Vagana bus, marked AKL 846 YY owned by Peace Mass Transport Company.

“We need to set the record straight that four people died in the accident as against 30 that was widely report by some media.

“Thirty passengers (16 male and 12 female adults as well as two female children) were involved in the accident.

“Twenty-six (10 male, 14 female and two female children) were seriously injured while the remaining four (two male and two female) died on the spot,” Aladenika said.

He said personnel from the unit swiftly rescued the 26 injured passengers and took them to General Hospital, Ore.

The unit commander said the remains of the deceased were deposited at Opeyemi Hospital also in Ore.

Edited by: Ejike Obeta/Chukwudi Ekezie
(NAN)
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Latest News

NNN News Nigeria: NNN is an online Nigeria news portal that publishes breaking news in politics, business, entertainment, sport, security, features, opinion, environment, education, technology, and the world news at large. NNN publishes only news that is factual, credible, verifiable, authoritative and investigative. NNN is a media subscriber of the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a unique media organization that is founded in the spirit of Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, comprising of ordinary people with an overriding commitment to seeking the truth and publishing it without fear or favor. Contact: editor@nnn.com.ng

© 2014 - 2019 NNN News Nigeria. All Rights Reserved.

editor@nnn.com.ng