Connect with us

General news

5 passengers die in auto-crash

Published

on

No fewer than five people, including two children, have died in a road crash involving a bus and a truck on Tuesday morning in Ore Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.
at about 7:15 a.m. along km 46, Adekunle area in Ore, a bus, Toyota Hiace, marked AKL 930 YY and one articulated vehicle, Man Diesel, marked FGB 747 XA, were involved in a crash”.

In the accident, “five people died instantly while seven others sustained injuries,” he said.

The head of operation, who explained that excessive speeding and wrongful overtaking were the causes of the accident, said that efforts had been made to clear the road.

He, therefore, warned motorists to be more careful and shun speeding and wrong overtaking, especially during these “ember” months.

“The motoring public should be more careful during these “ember” months. There is increase in vehicular movements on the highways and unnecessary agitation by drivers, mostly commercial drivers.

“The passengers too, have major role to play in cautioning their drivers. Commuters are advised to be vigilant and avoid sleeping during a trip.

“Never allow a reckless driver to waste your life. All hands must be on deck to keep safe from all these carnage,” Ogungbemide advised.

OMA/MA/YEMI
Edited by Muftau Adediran/Yemi Idris-Aduloju

 

 

 

 

Defence/Security

Police arrest 2 persons over death of three in Akinyele LGA

Published

on

The Police Command in Oyo State has confirmed the arrest of two persons in connection with the murder of three persons in some communities in Akinyele Local Government Area of the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that unknown gunmen invaded Ikereku, Pade and Olanla Villages in Akinyele LGA on Sunday and killed three persons.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, SP Olugbenga Fadeyi, who confirmed the incident in Ibadan on Monday, said that eight unknown gunmen invaded the communities on Sunday.

“The police operatives immediately swung into action when they got the information.

“We combed the bushes in the areas and two persons were arrested in connection with the incident.

“The police tactical team and other operatives have been deployed to arrest others who participated in the act,” Fadeyi said.

The PPRO assured adequate security for good people of the state and urged them to provide timely and adequate information that would lead to the arrest of the perpetrators of the unlawful act.

NAN reports that a resident of the village gave the names of those killed during the raid to include Ope Babalola, Waheed Ganiyu and Yemi Osunolale.


Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Saudi Arabia to pump 13.3 bln USD into banking system

Published

on

By

Saudi Arabia announced on Monday the pumping of 50 billion riyals (13.3 billion United States dollars) into the banking system, the Arabiya TV reported.

The Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority’s (SAMA) decision comes to manage the fallout from the coronavirus and the drop in oil prices.

The amount will boost credit facilities to the private sector, help banks amend restructure loans without additional fees and support private sector employment.

SAMA had previously unveiled a 50-billion-riyal program to help mostly small private businesses in the country.

Saudi Arabia has been taking solid steps to reduce the economic implications of the spread of coronavirus, including reducing state expenditures and increasing the percentage of the value-added tax (VAT) from 5 to 15 percent.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Metro

Foundation reiterates commitment to educational support to orphans, vulnerable children

Published

on

The Ane Osiobe International Foundation, an NGO, has reiterated its commitment to support the educational programmes of orphans, poor and vulnerable children in the country.

 

Dr Ejiro Osiobe, the Chief Financial Officer of the Foundation, made the commitment in a statement on Monday in Abuja, to mark the organisation’s five years of service.

 

He said the Foundation had been donating educational materials to various schools in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) since 2015.

 

According to him, the Foundation is committed to positive change, through educational support, care for the poor and vulnerable groups in the society for economic development of the country.

 

“I will start with a quote I play all the time in my head, no one is asking you to be Mandela, Malala or Obama; we’re are asking you to be the best version of yourself.

 

“What is the best version of one’s self? It is the state of mind that desires and strives to be better every day, not comparing one’s progress with others.’’

 

The officer also said that the organisation’s aim was to see how it could help children achieve their dreams “so that those who want to become great will achieve their desired goals.’’

 

He said that the Foundation had supported not fewer than 100 schools in the provision of educational materials across the six area councils of the FCT.

 

“Once again, we at the Ane Osiobe International Foundation will like to thank all the schools that welcomed us during the past five years.

 

“We promise to keep the Foundation’s founding fathers principle and by the grace of God will be allies of positive change to the Nigerian economy.

 

“Our philosophy is what keeps us moving at Ane Osiobe International Foundation; The Ane Osiobe Trendsetters Department, has concluded that ‘poverty isn’t a money problem but an opportunity problem,” he said.

 

He also urged Nigerians to make deliberate efforts in showing love through educational support and care to widows and their children to ensure their moral, social, physical and academic well-being.

 

He added that the NGO founded in 2015, in honour of Mrs Ann Osiobe, was established by Ejiro U. Osiobe and co-founded by Nyore Osiobe, to support education in the country.

 

 


Edited By: Abiemwense Moru/Obike Ukoh (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Kuwait records 27,762 COVID-19 cases, 220 deaths

Published

on

By

Kuwait on Monday reported 719 new cases of COVID-19 and eight more deaths, raising the tally of infections to 27,762 and the death toll to 220, the health ministry said in a statement.

Currently, 14,643 patients are receiving treatment, including 204 in ICU, according to the statement.

The ministry also announced the recovery of 1,513 more patients, raising the total recoveries in the country to 12,899.

On May 31, Kuwait ended the total curfew and imposed a three-week partial curfew for a gradual return to normal life in the country.

Kuwait and China have been supporting each other and cooperating closely in combating the COVID-19 pandemic.

Kuwait donated medical supplies worth 3 million United States dollars to China at the early stage of the COVID-19 outbreak.

On April 27, a team of Chinese medical experts visited Kuwait to assist the Arab country’s anti-coronavirus fight, sharing with Kuwaiti counterparts their experience and expertise in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Namibia’s first COVID-19 patients recover after 79 days in hospital

Published

on

The first two patients to be diagnosed with COVID-19 in Namibia have been cleared by health authorities after 79 days in hospital, Health Minister Kalumbi Shangula announced on Monday.

“The couple’s recoveries mark the end of the chapter involving the first 16 cases.

“The response team is excited about this good news,” the minister said.

The Romanian couple, who became known as case No. 1 and No. 2, baffled experts for staying “too long” in hospital after the 35-year-old man and his 25-year-old wife were diagnosed with the disease on March 14.

Studies indicate that the virus that causes COVID-19 can stay in the human body for up to 37 days.

Namibia has so far reported 25 confirmed cases with 16 recoveries, nine active cases but no death.

The latest confirmed case was a 32-year Namibian woman, who returned from Cape Town on May 29 and tested positive while in quarantine.


Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Turkey’s iconic Grand Bazaar reopens amid COVID-19 normalization

Published

on

By

Turkey’s iconic Grand Bazaar in Istanbul reopened its doors on Monday as part of the government’s normalization process after being closed for more than two months due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

A humble ceremony was held at one of the historic entrances of the bazaar with the participation of Istanbul Governor Ali Yerlikaya and local authorities.

“Today we begin a controlled social life, which we define as the new normal,” said Yerlikaya at the ceremony, urging visitors and shop owners to wear masks and follow the rules on social distancing and hygiene.

“It is now time for us to go back to our businesses,” he also noted.

The administration of the bazaar decided to receive guests in a controlled manner, opening only 11 out of a total of 22 gates to ensure hygiene and allow temperature checks.

Being one of the world‘s largest and oldest covered bazaars, the Grand Bazaar closed its doors in March in line with the government’s measures to curb the spread of the pandemic.

Constructed in 1461 during the Ottoman Empire era, it has more than 3,000 shops in over 60 covered streets, where approximately 30,000 people work. The bazaar is also among the most visited tourist destinations in Istanbul, attracting around 250,000 to 400,000 visitors per day.

Turkey entered a new normalization period as of Monday as COVID-19 cases started to drop over the past several weeks.

Restaurants, cafes, parks, beaches, daycare centers, kindergartens, libraries, sports facilities, swimming pools, and museums became operational as part of the new normalization steps. Turkey also lifted restrictions on domestic travels, and allowed public personnel to return to work.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Zimbabwean film industry makes Netflix debut with ‘Cook off’

Published

on

Zimbabwean film, Cook Off, a romance about a struggling single mother who finds love during a cooking competition, premiered on Netflix on Monday, a debut that its makers hope will propel the country’s small film sector to global audiences.

Zimbabwe often grabs headlines for its economic woes and political crises, but producer Joe Njagu said the film sought to project a different image.

“I wanted the world to know that there is more to Zimbabwe than what they hear. We also fall in love, we also enjoy nice food. We also have very nice stories,” said Njagu.

With a production budget of only $8,000, Njagu said he used his personal relationships with the cast and crew to sign deferred contracts and to bring on board studio owners and equipment hire companies without making immediate payment.

The low budget film was shot in 2017 but very few people in Zimbabwe had heard of it, even after it won several awards at international film festivals, including in the Netherlands, Durban and United States.

Everything changed two and half months ago, when Netflix, the world’s leading entertainment streaming service with 189 million paid viewers, came knocking on the door.

“It’s a big ‘hello, this is Zimbabwe we are here’. It’s an opportunity for us to introduce our content to the rest of the world. It’s really a big deal for us,” Njagu said.

He would not say how much the Netflix deal was worth but that it was enough to pay the deferred expenses and make a profit.

The film creators are now in talks with Netflix about possible future productions while television stations in Europe, Africa, United States also want to air Cook Off.

“It’s a different story, it’s no longer deferred payments, it’s now commissioned work, it’s now getting budgets to do productions,” he said.

“We can’t fall short anymore. This is the world stage.”


Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/Oluwole Sogunle (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

South Australia set for space industry boom in wake of COVID-19 pandemic

Published

on

By

About two billion Australian dollars (1.3 billion United States dollars) are invested in Australia’s space industry, the nation’s space agency has revealed.

According to the 2019 State of Space Report published recently by the Australian Space Agency (ASA), there are 88 space projects worth a combined two billion Australian dollars in the pipeline across the country from July 2018 through to June 2028.

South Australia (SA), where the ASA is headquartered, is on track to receive one third of the total investment but only nine percent of that from private space companies.

The ASA was formed in July 2018 with the goal of increasing the value of Australia’s space industry to 12 billion Australian dollars (8.02 billion USD) and creating 20,000 new jobs by 2030.

Steven Marshall, the Premier of SA, told News Corp Australia that the growing space industry would have a key role to play in helping the Australian economy recover from the coronavirus crisis.

“There is a new importance placed on national resilience and sovereign capability since the COVID-19 crisis, which offers opportunities for homegrown innovation,” he said.

“The space sector is one area that can certainly play a role in this.”

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

India’s meteorological department says depression over Arabian sea may intensify into severe cyclone

Published

on

By

India Meteorological Department (IMD) Monday said the low-pressure area developing over the Arabian sea was likely to intensify into a severe cyclone and cross north Maharashtra and south Gujarat coasts on Wednesday.

“The depression over east central and adjoining southeast Arabian Sea moved nearly northward with a speed of 7 kmph during past three hours and lay centred near latitude 13.2°N and longitude 71.4°E about 360 km southwest of Panjim (Goa), 670km south-southwest of Mumbai (Maharashtra) and 900 km south-southwest of Surat (Gujarat).

It is very likely to intensify into a deep depression over east central and adjoining southeast Arabian Sea during next 12 hours and intensify further into a cyclonic storm over east central Arabian Sea during the subsequent 24 hours. It is very likely to move nearly northwards initially till 2nd June morning and then recurve north-northeastwards and cross north Maharashtra and south Gujarat coasts,” the IMD said.

According to IMD, the cyclone is likely to intensify into a severe cyclonic storm and cross north Maharashtra and south Gujarat coast during Wednesday evening or night.

Heavy rains are expected in south Gujarat and coastal Maharashtra.

The IMD said sea condition was very likely to be rough to very rough over east central and adjoining southeast Arabian Sea during next 48 hours.

Authorities have advised fishermen not to venture into the southeast Arabian sea, Lakshadweep area and along and off Kerala coast until Thursday.

Last month cyclone Amphan hit West Bengal and Odisha killing 80 people and causing large-scale destruction.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also