Foreign

500 dengue deaths in Philippines in first half of 2019-Secretary

Published

on

Health Secretary, Francisco Duque, on Friday, aid amid a steep rise in cases of the disease, about 500 people in the Philippines have died from dengue fever in the first half of this year.

Duque said that the health department has recorded 106,630 cases of dengue, a mosquito borne viral disease, from January to June 29, 2019.

He said the number was 85 per cent higher than last year’s 57,564 during the same period.

The secretary said the regions of southern Luzon, Bicol, Western Visayas, Zamboanga and Northern Mindanao had the worst hit while incidents in other regions are also increasing.

He added that tents are being distributed in some provinces in the central Philippines, where hospitals are already congested.

Duque said the government is also working with the Philippine Red Cross to ensure that there is enough supply in blood banks.

On Monday, the health department declared a national dengue alert after 456 deaths were recorded and cases reached critical numbers.

Latest News

editor@nnn.com.ng