No fewer than eight people lost their lives in multiple accidents involving six petrol tankers and a car at Oloru-Kanbi in Moro Local Government Area of Kwara on Wednesday.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the accident occurred when the tankers, heading to the NNPC depot at Oke-Oyi in Ilorin had a head-on collision with three others returning from the depot.
The three tankers one of which loaded with Diesel had a head-on coalition with the other three coming from Jenna also in Moro local government area of the state.
There was also a private car, badly impacted in the accident by the tankers.
A combined team of officers and men from the fire service, Police and the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) were promptly drafted to the scene of the accident for the rescue operation.
Alhaji Abdulwaheed lyanda-Yakub, Director Kwara State Fire Service, who spoke to NAN at the scene of the incident, said 12 people died in the multiple accidents.
Iyanda-Yakub said that most of the dead persons were tanker drivers.
According to him, two other victims were on the danger list and receiving treatment at the intensive care unit of the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UlTH).
He said the remains of the dead have been deposited at the morgue of the hospital.
But the Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) in Kwara, Mr Jonathan Owoade, told confirmed to NAN only eight persons dead in the multiple accidents.
Owoade attributed the cause of the accidents to wrongful overtaking and non-adherence to traffic rules by drivers.
Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde
- UNICEF appoints Cobhams Asuquo national ambassador – Official
- Around 200,000 people affected by floods in India’s Assam
- Singapore’s services industries see revenue decline 1.1 pct in Q1
- 4 laborers dead, 15 missing as boat sinks in Bangladesh
- ECOWAS Court updates its rules of procedure
- FG distributes relief items to 9,600 IDPs in Borno
- Cambodia lists 9 mountains as natural heritage sites
- Satellite herd-tracking program an “opportunity” for indigenous Australians
- Argentina sees record high COVID-19 cases amid economic uncertainty
- 90 illegal immigrants rescued off Libyan coast: IOM
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000-mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Commercial motorcyclists tested for COVID-19 in Rwanda
- Japanese police arrest suspect 10 months after deadly arson attack on Kyoto anime studio
- Trump accuses Twitter of interfering in U.S. elections
- Nigeria records 276 new COVID-19 cases, total now 8,344
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000 mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Angola’s central bank instructs major public bank to protect assets following fraud
- Tokyo stocks mixed in morning on economic revival hopes, profit-taking
- Internal border closures hurt Australian economy: PM
- G7 summit to be held in late June: White House