At least nine fighters were killed as the Yemeni government army defeated an overnight attack by the Houthi rebels to the northeast of the rebel-held capital Sanaa, a government security source said Saturday.
The Houthi attack late Friday night targeted positions of the government forces in the area of Najd al-Atak and the mountain of Salb in Nehm district, about 60 km northeast of Sanaa.
“At least eight rebels and one soldier were killed in the fighting and dozens from both sides injured,” the source in Nehm told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
Meanwhile, the Houthi-run al-Masirah television said the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen launched 13 airstrikes on several areas in Nehm, without giving further details.
Yemen has been mired in civil war since late 2014, when the Iran-backed Houthi rebels seized control of much of the country’s north and forced the Saudi-backed government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi out of Sanaa.
- Teenage Saruni dreams of debut Olympics in Tokyo
- ‘Presidential directive’ on 150 memos is fake news – Presidency
- 875 people commit suicide during lockdown period in Nepal
- Tinubu commiserates with Telegraph Newspaper over Editor’s death
- COVID-19: Let’s put our trust in Allah to end pandemic – Ife Chief Imam
- Bayern Munich with one hand on league title after 1-0 win at Dortmund
- COVID-19: Ooni donates fumigator, cash to UCH Ibadan
- Palliative: Kano Govt denies destroying FG foodstuff
- Afghanistan begins freeing 900 Taliban prisoners, urges truce extension
- APA wants forensic examination of election materials in Enugu South LGA
- Leipzig Captain Poulsen out with ligament injury
- Global film festival aims to bridge coronavirus distances
- Real Madrid forward, Bale, questions critics of golf hobby
- Katsina Gov’t investigates causes of unusual rise in death rate
- LIRS further extends deadline for filing Annual Tax Returns to June 30
- Man United in talks with Ighalo’s club over Nigerian star’s future
- Kano Govt. clarifies on ongoing work at Sani Abatcha isolation centre
- Ondo 2020: No automatic ticket for Agboola — PDP
- Zoho offers guidance on right software for non technology companies
- Forensic Audit: NDDC 2019 budget was padded with over 500 fake projects – MD