As senators-elect prepare to elect the principal officers of their choice, including the Senate president and his deputy, the former Governor of Imo, Rochas Okorocha’s name was missing from the list of lawmakers-elect from the state.
This was revealed when the Clerk of the National Assembly, Mohammed Sani-Omolori, on Tuesday, read out the roll call of eligible senators-elect from all states and the FCT for the Tuesday’s election in Abuja.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Okorocha, who got the court’s nod as senator-elect for Imo West, is yet to be issued a certificate of return by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The election of Mr Benjamin Uwajumogu for Imo North is yet to be determined.
Meanwhile, 107 out of the 109 senators-elect would be eligible to cast their votes using open secret balloting.
Senator-elect Yahaya Abdullahi (APC-Kebbi) had nominated senator-elect Ahmad Lawan (APC-Yobe) to run for the office of the senate president while senator-elect Solomon Adeola (APC-Lagos) seconded the motion.
In the same vein, senator-elect Ishiaku Cliff-Abo (PDP–Adamawa) nominated senator-elect Ali Ndume (APC-Borno) for the senate president’s office and the motion was seconded by senator-elect Npigi Barinada (PDP–Rivers).
Both Lawan and Ndume accepted to run for the office.
The election, which is to be determined by a secret balloting, is ongoing.
Edited by Mustapha Lamidi
- FEATURE: Governorship election: Checking violence, disruption in Kogi
- FRSC pledges to enforce rules to curtail road traffic crashes
- Turkey says U.S. agrees to take IS fighter stranded on Greece border
- Dasukigate: EFCC to seek order of court for separate trial for Dauski, co- defendants
- Kidnapped Immigration officers’ recount ordeal, thank Navy
- Idiroko FRSC inaugurates new building to enhance service delivery
- Austrian army dog handler mauled to death by Belgian Shepherds
- Show more interest in cassava cultivation, expert advises farmers
- Livestock transformation policy will boost economic growth-Presidency
- Gov. Obaseki swears in new Health Commissioner
- Police arraign 3 men for allegedly stealing $5,000 from an Egyptian
- Cambodian leader orders release of opposition activists
- Oshodi/Isolo LG begins palliative works on community roads
- Trader in court for allegedly defrauding accommodation seeker
- Applicant docked for allegedly assaulting tricycle driver
- Bayelsa Guber Poll: Court nullifies APC primaries, restrains INEC
- Sokoto Assembly passes Bill on balanced budget, effective resource utilisation
- Lawmaker enrols 165 orphans to schools in Zamfara
- DSS says will release Sowore to appropriate persons
- Britain will not name EU commissioner ahead of election – Official