The Abia House of Assembly Committee on Health has expressed deep disappointment over the “pitiable condition” of the Ohafia General Hospital.
The committee made the remark on Friday, when its members paid a fact-finding visit to the facility, located at Amaekpu Ohafia in Ohafia Local Government Area.
Addressing journalists at the end of the visit, the committee Chairman, Mr Stanley Nwabuisi, expressed concern over the level of infrastructural decay and the lack of ammenities at the facility.
Nwabuisi expressed displeasure with the porous security situation in the hospital and lack of commitment among the members of staff, among other lapses.
He said: “We have come, we have looked around and we will go back and sit down as a committee and come up with a report which we will present to the House.
“But from what we have seen so far, we are really not impressed with the way the hospital is being managed.”
Also, Deputy Speaker, Ifeanyi Uchendu, said he raised the case about the hospital as a matter of urgent public importance because it had since stopped functioning.
Uchendu said that the hospital was battling with the challenges of insecurity and power, which, according to him, discourage patients from patronising it.
He said that the doctors and nurses also needed to take their work seriously.
“The hospital is not generating revenue for the state,” Uchendu said.
Earlier, Sunday Okocha, the Doctor-in-Charge of the hospital, described insecurity as the major challenge facing the hospital.
He said: “Some patients, who managed to come here, usually complain that their security is not guaranteed.
“We don’t have light here too. If you come here at night it is very dark.
“We do not have water to work. We don’t have water to wash hands even after examining our patients.
“We manage to buy water from tankers but it is usually not enough to serve us.”
The Chief Matron, Mrs Juliet Ochia, said the hospital did not build any maternity ward, adding that what was in place was improvised.
Ochia said that expectant mothers were only coming to the place for ante-natal but went to other maternity centres for their delivery.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that no patient was on admission at the hospital at the time of the committee’s visit.
Edited By: Sam Oditah/Oluwole Sogunle (NAN)
30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM
Thirty Nigerians, who were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon have been rescued, and are among a total of 150 victims awaiting evacuation to Nigeria.
The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) made this known in a statement by Gabriel Odu of its Media, Public Relations and Protocol Unit on
The commission said the rescue came after a video footage of the stranded Nigerians making an appeal to the Federal Government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to their aid viral on the Internet.
According to it, the appeal for help by the stranded Nigerians led to their rescue by officials of the country’s mission in Lebanon.
The stranded Nigerians have already been relocated to a more conducive apartment.
“They will be part of 150 others to be evacuated to Nigeria after they were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon.
“The Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Houssam Diab disclosed the evacuation plans when the Management of NIDCOM, led by the Secretary, Dr Sule Bassi, visited that country’s mission in Abuja,” Odu said in the statement.
He quoted Diab as saying that the 150 girls would be returned home in batches with the first group of 110 people leaving Beirut for Lagos on Aug. 12.
The second batch sws expected to arrive Abuja on Aug. 16.
“The diplomat commended efforts of the Lebanese Community and the Oyo State Government who is sponsoring the return of 55 of the girls,” he said.
Responding on behalf of the NIDCOM Chairman/CEO, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Secretary of the commission, who acknowledged the excellent ties between Nigeria and Lebanon, urged both countries to sustain the cordial relationship.
Bassi also lauded the Nigerian Ambassador to Lebanon, Amb. Goni Madu Zanna Bura for his dedication and commitment.
He also commended the staff of the Nigerian mission, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Oyo and Ogun state governments and other strategic partners for their efforts.
“As part of the Nigerian Embassy’s Consular responsibility, the ladies in the said video that went viral and many other distressed Nigerian domestic workers were located and relocated to a safer place.
“Suffice it to say that 150 of these stranded victims are expected to be evacuated next week and handed over to NAPTIP, the agency responsible for (dealing with human) trafficking.
“A break down of the evacuees shows that Oyo State had 41, Ogun 21, Lagos 12, Ondo 18, Osun 26, and Imo 3.
Others are Kwara– 9, Enugu — 1, Ekiti — 6, Kogi — 1, Edo — 1, Delta — 3, Ebonyi — 1, Benue — 1, Abia — 1, Akwa Ibom — 1, and Anambra — 1,” he said.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)
EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals
The Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) says it nabbed two notorious electricity installation vandals in Osisioma community near Aba, Abia, along Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway.
EEDC’s Head of Corporate Communications, Mr Emeka Ezeh, told newsmen in Enugu on Tuesday, that the duo had been handed over to the Osisioma Police Station, Abia, for interrogation and further investigation.
Ezeh said that the two suspected vandals were caught red handed and apprehended on Aug. 3, by members of Osisioma Electricity Committee while vandalising electricity cables belonging to the company.
According to Ezeh, last month, a suspect was arrested by youths of Amichi community for vandalizing Ebenasa 300KVA 33/0.415KV distribution substation, located at Amichi.
“Part of the items recovered from the suspects included: 4 feeder pillar bars, 4 feeder pillar units and 3 feeder pillar fuses.
“It was also gathered that the suspects’ accomplice fled and is currently at large.
“However, effort is on to get him arrested along with the identified buyer, who is in possession of 300mm 2 x 4 single core upriser cables, 10 meters earthen wire, as well as some bolts and nuts,” he said.
In a similar development, the EEDC spokesman said that one suspect was arrested by members of Ogbu Edda community, Ebonyi, for vandalising a 300KVA 33/0.415KV distribution substation, located in the community.
“The suspect was caught in possession of 150mm-2 upriser cable and has been handed over to the Afikpo South Divisional Police Headquarters for further investigations,’’ he said.
Ezeh said that the company had been expressing concerns, over the rising cases of vandalism within its network, and had appealed to customers to be more vigilant in ensuring that the installations serving them were not vandalised.
The EEDC spokesman however, commended the youths of Amichi, people of Ogbu Edda community, Ebonyi and members of Osisioma electricity committee, for their support in apprehending the suspected vandals.
Ezeh said that the company would work closely with the police to ensure that the suspects were prosecuted so that the law could take its course.
“The activities of these vandals not only affect our organisation’s finances, but adversely impact on the quality of services to our customers who are subjected to darkness and untold hardship whenever the electrical installations serving them are vandalised.
“We are not relenting in our effort in tackling the growing trend of vandalism and also call on well-meaning and law-abiding customers to join hands in this fight,’’ he said.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)
COVID-19: Nigeria records 288 new cases, total now 44,129, with 896 deaths
The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Monday.
The agency said that eight new deaths were reported, bringing the total number of fatalities to 896 across the country.
The NCDC said that the new infections were recorded in Lagos, the Federal Capital Territory and 13 states.
It stated that Lagos topped the list with 88 new cases, while the FCT reported 25 fresh infections.
Among others were Kwara, 33, Osun, 27, Enugu, 25, Abia, 20, Kaduna, 17, Plateau and Rivers, 13 each, Delta, 10, and Gombe, 8.
The agency stressed that states with fewer cases include Ogun, 4, Oyo, 3, Katsina, 1 and Bauchi, 1.
According to it, till date, 44,129 cases have been confirmed, 20,663 cases discharged and 896 deaths recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
Meanwhile, the health agency added that washing of hands frequently with soap under running water was one of the best ways to stop the transmission of diseases like COVID-19 from person to person or after touching contaminated surfaces.
“#TakeResponsibility to keep yourself and loved ones safe and healthy.
“This election period, #TakeResponsibility by adhering to guidelines to protect ourselves and loved ones from COVID-19, including Physical distancing, Use of hand sanitisers and Use of face mask,” it advised.
“In Nigeria, use of hydroxychloroquine is only limited to clinical trials.
“Please #TakeResponsibility and avoid self-medication,” it stressed.
The agency warned that a high percentage of those infected with COVID-19 did not show any symptom of the disease.
“So, to protect yourself and everyone around you, wear a face mask, maintain physical distancing, wash your hands frequently and follow all guidelines from the NCDC website,” it said.
Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)
Flood: NEMA trains emergency vanguards in Imo, Abia on quick response
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has inaugurated local emergency response vanguards in various communities in Imo and Abia, to collaborate with the agency in tackling incidences of disaster.
The Head, Imo/Abia Operation Office, Mr Evans Ugoh, made this know in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Monday in Owerri.
Ugoh said that the decision to train the local response vangards, was in line with the agenda of NEMA’s Director-General, AVM. Muhammed Muhammed (rtd), of taking disaster management to the grassroots.
He said that NEMA was mindful of the 2020 flood prediction and would intensify response activities, to ensure that incidences of disaster were curtailed in Nigeria.
The head of the operation office implored the response vanguards to discharge their duties with dedication, and warned that the agency would not tolerate inefficiency from them.
Ugoh said that the agency ended the training with retreats in Umuahia in Abia, and Isu Local Government Area in Imo, with the coordinators of the response vanguards in attendance.
He urged the coordinators to always monitor sea level in their areas and regularly update the local government authorities on the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NIMET)’s flood predictions and the need for preparedness.
He also advised the flood-prone communities in the two states to always adhere to NEMA’s yearly flood early warning measures.
Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Ejike Obeta (NAN)