The Village Head of Eziukwu Aba, Chief Chidi Nkire, has warned the Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) Church on School Road in the commercial city to desist forthwith from encroaching on the Township Primary School’s land.
News Agency of Nigeria reports that SDA fenced off the teachers’ quarters and play ground, allegedly belonging to Township Primary School and City Primary School, both located on School Road in the commercial city of Abia.
Nkire said that taking over part of the school compound, situated on another side of School Road, would close the community’s old road, which was renamed School Road.
He said: “What I am saying here to the SDA is that they should remain where they have been.
“Their current pastors were not there when the community land was donated to the church and the school so they should go home and rest.
“Let no man venture into that school land before what somebody did not know will cause him his head.”
When contacted, the first elder of the church, Mr Christian Nwaosu, denied that the church had a hand in annexing the school’s land.
Nwaosu said that the land belonged to the government and referred NAN to the ministries of land and education for explanation on what was happening on the school’s land.
He also said that the community should be advised to probe into what was happening on the affected land.
Also, the former Aba South Education Secretary, Mrs Ngozi Nwaogwugwu, said she heard of the alleged efforts by the church to take over the school compound.
Nwaogwugwu said that she inquired through the former commissioner for education, Prof. Ikechi Mgboji, who confirmed to her that Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu gave the land to the church.
She, however, said that as the then education secretary in the local government area, she did not receive a letter to that effect.
(Edited Sam Oditah)
- NGO inaugurates drugs, substance abuse-free clubs in 15 schools in Kaduna
- One dies, 3 injured in Ogun accident
- PDP BoT sets up committee over members’ concerns in Edo, Kano, Lagos, others
- Federation President seeks private companies’ sponsorship for boxing
- Group wants INEC to prosecute perpetrators of electoral violence in Kogi, Bayelsa
- Morocco, Singapore discuss boosting bilateral cooperation
- NGO to assist IDPs in Kwara, others
- Alleged P&ID scam: Court fixes Nov.27 for hearing in Briton’s plea for bail variation
- Iran still largely restricting internet access after fuel protests
- Trump wants impeachment trial in Senate with Bidens, whistleblower testifying – Spokesman
- Corps member gives free medical service in Niger camp
- GDP grew by 2.28% in 3rd quarter of 2019
- Man, 32, in court for allegedly stealing car scraps worth N58,000
- Yemeni PM hails Russia’s positive role in UN Security Council
- Handle antibiotics with care, Pharmacists warn Nigerians
- Obaseki swears in Edigin as 7th Edo Chief Judge
- Expert seeks more govt support for real sector
- Appeal Court affirms Tambuwal’s election
- Court remands teenager over alleged house-breaking, stealing
- Woman in court for allegedly hacking phone, stealing N2.5m
- Turkey’s invasion of Syria enabled hundreds of IS militants to escape – Russian official
- Yahoo founder warns of tech divide returning world to ‘dark age’
- Indonesian city hands out baby chicks to keep pupils busy, off smartphones
- Trump insists on ceasefire as precondition for Afghan peace talks
- South African Airways signs wage deal with non-striking union
- Para-athletes plead with Enugu Govt. for equipment, monthly allowance
- Sri Lanka’s newly elected president swears in 15-member cabinet
- Humble Mourinho vows to bring success to Spurs
- Traditional medicine practitioner urges research into African herbs, roots
- Oil holds near two-month high on OPEC+ extension expectations
- Poland picks new constitutional judges amid row over judiciary
- Enugu State: FRSC warns motorists against traffic offences
- 7 men docked for allegedly parading in military uniforms
- Barber allegedly burgles church mission house
- Enugu: LG Council pays hospital bills of over 60 indigent residents
- Labourer in court over allegedly assaulting colleague with shovel
- Xi says Beijing actively working on trade deal with U.S.
- Turkey detains 46 following online criticism of Syria offensive
- Agent in court for allegedly defrauding customer of N1.5m
- Turkey orders detention of 138 suspects over coup bid
- UNESCO affirms commitment to violence-free school policies
- Businessman appears in court for alleged N870,000 fraud
- Association applauds Gov. Abiodun’s efforts in education sector
- Insurance agent in court over alleged theft of clients’ premium worth N1.2m
- Nasarawa State: LGSC warns LG chairmen against unauthorised employment
- Man in court for giving false information to police
- Association raises alarm on inefficiency of antibiotics due to abuse
- Finance Bill 2019: NECA expressed concern at passage
- Mongolia appoints new central bank governor
- Buhari approves re-appointment of NIMC boss for second term