Mr Julius Ezugwu, the Controller, Abia Command of the Nigerian Correctional Service, has warned newly recruited personnel of the organisation against illegal transactions with the inmates, especially on illicit drugs and communication gadgets.
Ezugwu gave the warning in Umuahia on Friday during a brief ceremony to mark the end of a one-month induction course for the personnel.
He said that the service frowns against such transactions between members of staff and inmates, especially trafficking on drugs, such as cannabis sativa and tramadol as well as communication gadgets, like phones, among others.
He urged them to work conscientiously to touch the lives of the inmates, saying that they were employed to “re-adjust the mala-adjusted.”
Ezugwu said: “You are very fortunate to be among the people recruited because so many people applied but were not successful.
“As the first set of officers recruited for the service, a lot is expected of you.
“I urge you to be law-abiding and professional in your actions because the service will not condone any form of indiscipline.”
He commended them for being loyal throughout the induction course and charged them to accept their postings in good faith.
The Staff Officer and Assistant Controller of Corrections, Mr Augustine Nnubia, said that the new intakes would be posted to three major correctional facilities in Umuahia, Aba and Arochukwu.
He said that the 108 intakes, comprising 76 males and 31 females, hail from the 17 local government areas of Abia, either by birth or marriage, adding that they were selected on merit.
Nigeria News Agency reports that the Nigerian Correctional Service Act 2019, which was enacted as part the Federal Government’s reform initiatives, repealed the Nigerian Prisons Service Act.
(Edited by Jane-Frances Oraka/Sam Oditah)
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan
- ‘Muna’ suggests new career angle for Adesua Etomi-Wellington
- BASA will strengthen cultural ties, deepen unity amongst personnel – CAS
- Nigeria on cause to raise Olympic champions in gymnastic – Coach Asuquo
- FG to introduce new visa regime to boost economy
- Expo 2020 in Dubai: What Benefits to Africa?
- Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria
- Boxing: Joshua takes revenge on Ruiz in Saudi Arabia rematch
- Buhari salutes Anthony Joshua on comeback victory
- DSS says Sowore’s rearrest video, mischief, meant for propagandist purpose
- NGO wants HIV test as component of routine ante natal care
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears
- NAN correspondent gets accolades for sponsoring soccer tournament
- ECOWAS Presidents to meet on single currency regime Dec. 21
- FGGC Yola old students seek unity among children
- FEATURE: Gender-Based Violence: Do men suffer same?
- Nasarawa grassroots sports: Ezhiba defeat Alashe in competition organised by NAN Correspondent
- SWOFON commends women farmers’ successes in spite of challenges
- New Ondo IPAC chairman promises to build trust among members
- Education remains potent weapon to reduce unemployment -Buhari
- LG poll: ADSIEC Chairman expresses concern over low turnout of voters
- Experts outline ways to fund Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit through capital market
- Minister tasks Nigerians on regular exercise for healthy living
- Nollywood: Audition for ‘A Call to Service’, pro-NYSC scheme movie debuts in FCT
- Tallen gives N250, 000 cash prize to best UniJos graduating female students, to support 200 indigent ones with N4m
- Christmas: Enugu residents opt for de-stoned local rice as price of imported variant soars