Chief Audu Ogbeh, the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, says absence of sure-bake yeast, a baking ingredient, in the country was hampering the inclusion of cassava in bread.
Ogbeh said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja on Wednesday.
NAN reports that sure-bake yeast is a blend of active dry yeast and bread improver which makes bread-making easier and is recommended for bread-making.
The minister however disclosed that the problem would soon be solved as a U.S.-based Nigerian had agreed to commence the production of the ingredient in the country.
“There are issues with cassava bread which we are trying to resolve now.
“There is something called sure-bake yeast which they say we must add to cassava, otherwise, the bread won’t rise and that has been an issue with the bakers.
“The Nigerian in the U.S. said he would come and produce it here. We have heard that there is a glut of cassava and that is why the farmers are not harvesting now,’’ he said.
The minister noted that government was ready to support the private sector for the production of industrial starch and syrups from cassava.
“We are also moving into high grade industrial starch and syrups, but again, to build those factories, you use stainless steel equipment and they cost money.
“We are talking of five to 10 million dollars to set up such a factory. Nobody can borrow that from a bank in Nigeria and survive.
“That is why we are looking for funds and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is helping to find funds to give people who want to invest in the processing,’’ he said.
The Federal Government under former President Goodluck Jonathan, in 2014, launched the first commercial 10 per cent composite cassava flour in bread.
Dr Akinwumi Adesina, former Minister of Agriculture, said at the launch that government’s goal was to ensure Nigeria became the largest cassava processor as it had been the largest producer of the commodity in the world.
- Air operation aims to degrade Boko Haram -CAS
- Army says video of Boko Haram killing of soldiers fabrication of IPOB
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts