Connect with us

Education

ABU launches 32GB e-learning flash for PG students

Published

on

The Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria has launched a 32GB e-learning flash for Postgraduate Students to ease access to their studies, an official said.

The ceremony was held at the university’s Postgraduate Auditorium, main campus, Samaru, Zaria.

Garba, who was represented by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Administration, Prof. Abubakar Zubairu-Abubakar, said the e-flash would acquaint the students with the new postgraduate school reforms.

According to him, the digital flash will be used in laptops, computers and cell phones, adding that it can  also be used anywhere for research and learning.

Garba advised the matriculating students to always visit the school portal for information and guide as related to the postgraduate school programmes.

“Changes are guided by the new reforms and the university is setting the pace for other universities to emulate, not only for its own good but for the good of education sector in particular and the nation in general.

“The university had already designed and developed curriculum in line with the set goals and objectives towards taking Nigeria to greater levels of development,” he said.

Earlier in a welcome address, the Deputy Dean PG School Main Campus, Prof. O.O. Okubanjo said 16,619 candidates applied for the admission while 11,701 paid for the forms and 11,458 completed their form.

He said 9,008 applicants successfully secured admission to study different courses of choice.

He noted that during the last convocation, the PG school successfully graduated 5,000 Students from different fields.

General news

ABUAlumni urges students to work hard for Nigeria’s development

Published

on

Dr  Ossai Edward, a university lecturer and Chairman Plateau Chapter of the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria Alumni Association, has advised Nigerian students to work hard towards ensuring Nigeria’s development.

Edward gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria after the inauguration of the new executive council of the Plateau Chapter of the association on Saturday in Jos.

The new chairman, who is the Head of Department, Theatre Arts, Plateau State University (PLASU), Bokkos said the call became necessary as future leaders of the country.

“It’s unfortunate that many students are lazy nowadays when it comes to studying, which is very detrimental to the desired growth of the nation.

“My advice to them is that as soon as the Federal Government orders them back to school, they should be serious with their studies,’’ he said

Edward decried the long closure of schools due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said that this called for seriousness on the part of the students, immediately they resume.

The lecturer also called for peaceful coexistence between the Christians and Muslims in Nigeria’s tertiary institutions to enhance national socio-economic development.

Edward described ABU as one of the best institutions in the world, in terms of high academic standards.

He expressed the readiness of the Plateau chapter of the alumni association to give back to the university, to ensure that products of the institution continue to excel in the society.

“Our alumni is made up of members, who are governors, former military administrators, commissioners, permanent secretaries and captains of industries.

“They are contributing their quota to the development of the university.

Aside Gov. Simon Lalong of Plateau, we have nine serving permanent secretaries, three commissioners and several others, who are working to uplift alumni association of the institution.”

Edward pledged to introduce prudence in the management of the association’s financial resources.

Earlier, Mrs Claribel Dana’an, the outgone chairman of the association, congratulated her successor and his team for their success at the poll.

She expressed optimism that the new executive would take the affairs of the association to higher heights in the state.

Other members of the new team are Mr Bitrus Ali as Secretary, Mr Emmanuel Wurang as Publicity Secretary, Mrs Usaina Obende as Treasurer and Mrs Claribel Danaan as Ex-Officio.


Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Man, 23, bags life jail for sexual abuse of 15-year-old girl

Published

on

An Abeokuta High Court on Friday sentenced  a 23-year-old man, Lekan Felix, to life imprisonment for abduction and raping a 15-year-old girl.

 

Delivering his  judgment, Justice Abiodun Adeyemi convicted Felix on two counts of having sexual intercourse and the abduction  of a child under 16 years.

 

The judge held that the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubts.

 

He held that the evidence presented by the prosecution was tenable and, therefore, he had to  sentence Felix to life imprisonment.

 

However, the state prosecuting counsel, Mr Adekunle Sodeinde, said  that Felix the committed the offences on Feb.17, 2013 at Sango-Ota area of Ogun.

According to the counsel, the convict unlawfully abducted a 15-year -old girl (names withheld), who was living with her elder sister.

 

He said that Felix took the girl to where her family members or anybody would not locate her whereabouts, and was having sexual intercourse with her for two years.

 

“The victim was sent on  an errand by her elder sister on her way she met the convict who bought drink for her.

 

“After taking the drink she passed out, and  few hours later on opening her eyes she met herself at Felix’s house at Ijoko village in Owode-Egba in Abeokuta.

 

“Felix  took advantage of her by sexually abusing her and was using her to work as a labourer on his farm land for two years before she regained her senses,” he said.

 

Sodeinde, however, said that Felix  confessed that he used charm on her so that she would not know where she was or think of going home.

 

He noted that the offences contravened Section 32 of the Child Rights Laws of Ogun and Section 362 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ogun 2006.

 

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that as at  the time of  the incident, Lekan  was 23 years old, but at the time of his conviction, he was 30 years old.

 


Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Peter Dada (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

General news

Nasarawa seeks joint force against child abuse

Published

on

Nasarawa State Government has urged stakeholders to join forces with it in the fight to end various forms of child abuses in the state.

The call was made on the backdrop of  the  United Nations annual International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression, on June 4, with the 2020 theme:  “Stop Attack on Children.”

Mrs Halima Jabiru, Nasarawa state Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development,  told  the News Agency of Nigeria on Friday in Lafia, that the fight to end  all forms of child molestations such as  physical, mental and emotional, needed concerted efforts of all and sundry.

According to her, the significance of the international day of innocent children victims of aggression is aimed at drawing attention of stakeholders; the police, religions , traditional rulers and government at all levels toward ending attacks against children.

She said that Nasarawa state government had domesticated the child rights act to protect the rights of every child from abuse, including street begging and hawking in the state.

“It is indeed a sad reality that children are the most affected in situations of war, armed communal clash, attack on schools, abduction, domestic and marital violence.

“Nasarawa state government prohibition of street begging is aimed at protecting the welfare of children, all the rape cases and abuse recorded in the state are being followed up and the perpetrators are already answering for their crimes,” she said.

The commissioner appealed to parents to pay attention to their children and wards, especially to know where they were going to and who they were meeting.

NAN reports that the UN General Assembly in its emergency special session on  August 19, 1982 set aside June 4, annually to observe International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression to acknowledge the pain suffered by  children all over the world.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and Isaac Ukpoju (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

3 brothers in Police net over alleged murder of woman in Abuja

Published

on

Three brothers have been arrested in connection with the murder of a woman in Abuja,

according to Mr Frank Mba, Public Relations of the Police Force.

Mba, in a statement on Thursday in Abuja, said that the suspects, from Isiekenesi, Ideato Local Government in Imo, are helping Police investigation into the May 14 murder of Mrs Janet Ogbonnaya, a mother of five children.

He said that the suspects were arrested by the Police in their home town where they had allegedly taken refuge after committing the crime in Abuja, to evade arrest.

Mba said that investigation that led to their arrest followed complaints by one Chinedu Ogbonnaya, who alleged that his mother, Janet, 55, a native of Ozuitem in Bende Local Government Area of Abia, had been kidnapped.

Ogbonnaya told the Police that N5 million ransom was being demanded by the kidnappers to secure the mother’s release.

“A comprehensive and painstaking investigation by Police operatives resulted in the arrest of the three suspects, who, in the course of interrogation, revealed that the victim had long been murdered and buried.

“Further findings revealed that the victim, a widow, who had been a Facebook friend of the principal suspect, was lured from her home in Gwagwalada, Abuja to visit the suspect.

“The suspect took advantage of the visit, served her milk laced with drugs, and subsequently murdered her,” he said.

According to him, the victim was buried in a septic tank afterwhich the suspects went ahead to reach out to the family, using her phone, to demand N5 million ransom to secure her release.   ​

Mba said that the suspects, on Thursday, led a team of investigators alongside pathologists to a residence at Wumba District, Lokogoma area of Abuja, where the victim’s decomposing body was exhumed from a septic tank.

The spokesman said that the exhumed body had been taken to the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital for forensic examination, while a Toyota Highlander Jeep belonging to the deceased had also been recovered at a mechanic workshop in Apo, where it had been repainted into a different colour.

Mba said that the vehicle documents had been fraudulently changed with ownership of the stolen vehicle criminally transferred to one of the masterminds of the crime.

According to him, investigation also revealed that the house where the deceased was killed and buried originally belonged to one of the suspects but was hurriedly sold to a third party to obliterate evidence.

Already, the Inspector General of Police, Mr Mohammed Adamu, has commended the team of Police operatives for a job well done. He has also pledged that perpetrators of crimes will not go undetected and unpunished.

The Police helmsman has also enjoined citizens to be more security conscious and report any suspicious activities within their neighbourhood to the nearest Police Station,” the statement said.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and Ephraims Sheyin (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Actors Guild set to eradicate sexual abuses in Nollywood —- National President

Published

on

The National President of  the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN), Emeka Rollas, on Thursday said that he was comitted to eradicating all forms of abuses on actors in the Nollywood industry.

3Csvg%20xmlns=’http://www.w3.org/2000/svg’%20viewBox=’0%200%20201%20300’%3E%3C/svg%3E” alt=”” width=”201″ height=”300″ data-lazy-src=”https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Rollas2-201×300.jpg”>Rollas2-201×300.jpg” alt=”” width=”201″ height=”300″>
Emeka Rollas, National President of AGN

Rollas told the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos that he had issued directives to Ronnie Dikko,

his Senior Special Assistant (SSA) on Sexual Harassment and Related Abuses, to open communication links on the issue.

“The recent revelation of alleged rape and sexual molestation on some individuals in the film industry is calling for serious attention and I must put an end to such an  abuse.

“It doesn’t speak well of us and of me  as the president of AGN, I must restore sanity into the Nollywood industry as part of my commitments toward  protecting my  members and the  image of this noble body.

“I have told my SSA to quickly open a special telephone line and an e-mail address through which the victims of this immoral act can reach out directly to the Guild.

” This wil  enable us seek redress and offer counseling process for complete healing to victims of sexual abuse,” he said.

He,  therefore , advised all victims of sexual abuse, molestations, financial demands and rape to make  the best use of the links to send their petitions and complaints to the guild.

He specifically directed victims to Ronnie Dikko who is the SSA and gave the  e-mail address as:

[email protected], or call 0705 397 5522 for direct information”.

According to him, the communication lines will be opened and all related matters will be treated with strict confidentiality and respect of victims.

Rollas also appealed to both seasoned and young  actors to feel free to speak out, promising that  their interests would  be protected.


Edited By: Josephine Obute/Peter Dada (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Bike bomb kills 1 civilian, wounds 4 outside Kabul

Published

on

By

One person was killed and four others wounded as a bike bomb exploded in the bazaar of Qarabagh district outside Afghanistan’s capital Kabul on Thursday, district governor Mohammad Hanif Sediqi said.

According to the official, unknown terrorists placed explosive device on the cavities of a bicycle and detonated it next to a restaurant, killing one civilian and wounding four others.

The official said that investigation has been initiated into the incident.

This was the second bomb blast in Kabul since Tuesday.

A bomb blast targeting a mosque in Kabul’s Wazir Akbar Khan district on Tuesday evening killed two including top cleric Mohammad Ayaz Niazi and injured three others.

No group has claimed responsibility for the blasts against civilians since Tuesday.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Economy

Lockdown: Abubakar Rimi Market loses over N15m revenue

Published

on

The management of the  Abubakar Rimi Market, Kano,  says it has lost over N15 million in revenue since the lockdown of the state aimed at curbing  COVID-19 spread.

Mr Muhammad Bashir, the market’s Director of Administration and General Services,  gave the figure while addressing newsmen on Wednesday in Kano.

“As a result of this loss, we cannot even pay our staff salaries; we pay our staff from revenue we generate.

“Every month, we generate over N12 million out of which we normally spend over N8 million as workers’ salaries,” he said.

Bashir said that huge business activities in the market were making social distancing difficult.

The director said that the management of the market had, however,  received over 20,000 face masks from the Kano State Government for distribution to traders and  customers to reduce COVID-19 spread. 

Bashir appealed to the state government to assist the management with funds to enable it to pay workers’ salaries.

The director said that payment of workers’ salaries would reduce hardship induced  by the 45-day-old lockdown.

He hailed the state government’s efforts in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.


Edited By: Folorunso Poroye (NAN)Ijeoma Popoola

Continue Reading

General news

FEC okays N1.7bn for consultancy on 2nd runway at Abuja airport

Published

on

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved the sum of N1.7 billion for consultancy services on the construction of second runway at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, briefed State House correspondents on Wednesday after the virtual FEC meeting anchored from the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa.

The online meeting was presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.

“Today in council, a memo from the Ministry of Aviation was considered; and it is the consultancy services for the construction of second runway here in Abuja.

“The contract went to a consortium of consultants for the total contract sum of N1.7 billion.

This includes 7.5 per cent VAT and also the exchange rate for dollar component of N360 to one dollar.

“And this is what caused the seeming increase in the last estimated figure,’’ he said.

Sirika said that the consultancy part of project was for a period 12 months.

He said that a lot of work had been done in the procurement consultancy services, adding that it would be fast-tracked.

According to him, the ministry looks forward to achieving the second runway if awarded, before the end of the administration.


Edited By: Wale Ojetimi (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

5.7-magnitude quake hits 166 km N of Labuan Lombok, Indonesia — USGS

Published

on

By

An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.7 jolted 166 km N of Labuan Lombok, Indonesia at 15:54:04 GMT on Wednesday, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) said.

The epicenter, with a depth of 639.59 km, was initially determined to be at 7.0156 degrees south latitude and 116.8994 degrees east longitude.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also